50+ WOMEN for the month of JUNE

Options
Welcome to the thread for Women in their 50’s (or thereabouts). Actually, any woman is welcome. We are a group of women who wanted support and encouragement from others who are facing some of the same challenges. This has turned out to be a very helpful tool for me and hopefully for many others. I have met many new friends on this thread. So once again, welcome!

What are your goals for the month of June? We can help each other be accountable. Visit daily to encourage and to get encouraged. We’re here for you!

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Esther, thanks for getting this started. This thread has been a lifesaver for me. The women have given me so much encouragement and support. They have been teaching me things that I could never have learned anywhere else.

I look forward to a bright shiny new page on my calendar where I can post smaller and smaller numbers every week on weigh in day.

Big hugs to all of you:heart::heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
    Barbie
  • FITFORLIFE1944
    Options
    :flowerforyou: HAPPY JUNE EVERYONE:flowerforyou:

ESTHER, THANKS AGAIN FOR ALWAYS BEING THERE WITH THIS GREAT THREAD. IT HAS BEEN A LIFE LINE FOR ME. THANKS TO THE MFP MEMBERS FOR ENCOURAGEMENT AND ADVICE. LET'S ALL START JUNE OFF WITH A REAL BANG. FOR THOSE WHO FEEL IT GETTING HARDER, BARBIE HAS THE RIGHT IDEA. IF YOU WROTE DOWN THOSE NUMBERS WHEN YOU FIRST STARTED, GET THEM OUT AND TAKE A LOOK AT WHERE YOU WERE AND WHERE YOU ARE NOW. I GOT OUT MY OLD TOPS BOOKLET AND IT DID REMIND ME OF HOW WELL I CAN DO WITH TRUE EFFORT. NOW, LET'S ROLL! :happy:

ZAZA, I LIVED ON LONG ISLAND AND ALTHOUGH HOUSES ARE LESS COSTLY THAN IF YOU LIVE IN QUEENS, FOR EXAMPLE, THE TAXES ARE JUST SO HIGH. BEST THING THERE IS TO HAVE A LITTLE APARTMENT IN THE HOUSE AND THE RENT PAYS THE TAXES. MY FRIEND IS IN NEW HYDE PARK AND SELLING FOR 800,000, A SIMPLE HIGH RANCH. UNBELIEVABLE. HE IS IN LONG ISLAND BUT NEAR TO QUEENS. A BROOKLYN HOUSE, BRICK AND ATTACHED, IN A NOT SO GREAT AREA, IS GOING FOR 400,000. MY FIRST HOME IN QUEENS,(I WAS 24) COST ME 24,000 AND MY FIRST BRAND NEW CAR,2,400. GIVE ME THE GOOD OLD DAYS WHEN THE YOUNG HAD A BETTER CHANCE TO ACCUMULATE WEALTH. OUR CHILDREN ARE GOING TO BE PAYING OFF GOVERNMENT DEBT FOR A LONG TIME TO COME.

BARBIE, YOU DID IT!!!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: 4LBS GONE , KEPT TO YOUR EATING PLAN AND EXERCISE. WONDERFUL!!!! I LOVE YOUR "YOU CAN DO IT" ATTITUDE AND ADVICE TO ALL THE MFP'S. YOU ARE ALWAYS RIGHT ON THE MONEY.:smile:

BECKY, SLOW IS BETTER THAN NOT LOSING AT ALL. CONGRATULATE YOURSELF FOR THE GOOD THINGS YOU DID IN MAY AND RESOLVE TO DO BETTER IN JUNE. AS FOR GAINING WHEN YOU ARE DOING EVERYTHING YOU SHOULD, IT HAPPENS. MUSCLE REPLACES FAT, WATER GAIN FROM HOLDING SALT OR EATING TOO MANY CARBS. TRY SHAKING UP YOUR EATING. DO
    SOMETHING A LITTLE DIFFERENTLY IN JUNE. MAIN THING, NEVER GIVE UP. YOU CAN DO IT ONLY IF YOU STICK WITH IT. JUST KEEP ON GOING TOWARD YOUR GOAL. YOU WILL MAKE IT.:heart:

ELLI, I TOOK A LOOK AT YOUR HOME. WHAT A HUGE PROJECT YOU GUYS TOOK ON. READING YOUR POSTS IS ONE THING, BUT WHEN YOU SEE THE PICTURES, WOW!!! IT WILL BE BEAUTIFUL WHEN IT IS ALL FINISHED. YOU WILL LOVE HAVING THAT MASTER BEDROOM WITH THE BATH AND WALK IN CLOSET. THAT IS THE ONE THING THAT I LOVED MOST COMING TO FLORIDA. MY OTHER HOMES NEVER HAD THAT. WILL LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING THE FINISHED RESULTS ON THE BLOG. THANKS FOR SHOWING US.:happy:

MARILYN, WELCOME. 7 LBS LOST IN MAY :flowerforyou: YOU HAVE A TOTAL LOSS OF 14 LBS :flowerforyou: YOU ARE DOING GREAT. WHAT A HARD YEAR YOU HAD IN 2008. I SINCERELY HOPE THIS WILL BE A BETTER ONE FOR YOU AND YOUR FAMILY.

BARB, GOOD FOR YOU, GOING OUT WITH YOUR FRIEND WAS THE RIGHT MOVE.:smile: SO GLAD YOU DID NOT GIVE IN TO EMOTIONAL EATING :flowerforyou: EACH TIME WE RESIST THAT URGE TO GRAB FOOD FOR COMFORT, WE GET STRONGER AND CLOSER TO BEING A WINNER AT WEIGHT CONTROL FOR LIFE.

WISH YOU ALL A GREAT DAY :heart:

ANNE
  • onfleur
    onfleur Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    What does one have to do to join up with you women? I am anxious to ba 'apart of it all' June has to be a great month for us all!:flowerforyou:
  • hoamai
    hoamai Posts: 76
    Options
    Hi: I have read your posts and thought about joining the 'thread' - I don't post much - this is rather a new idea to me - but hope to stay motivated this month to maintain what I have achieved and to tone up some more. I was thinking about tennis lessons - though I have not had a racket in my hand since college!
    Sundays are my "day off" - usually more than usual food and wine as there is more often than not some family here for dinner - last night the weather was great and we had a cook out and some yummy summer foods.
    Chao:glasses:
  • MimerT
    MimerT Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Please count me in! I need help! :bigsmile:
  • healthier4me
    healthier4me Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Good June morning

Thank you Esther for starting us off again for the new month:flowerforyou:

It sure doesn't feel like June here especially since we got snow yesterday morning:grumble:

I am off to the big city for the day with a friend so I will catch up on the new thread later tonite, as well as post my new goals:happy:

Welcome to the new members. I bet you are going to love it here:heart: I know I sure do:smile:

Cheers to all:drinker:

Marie:heart:
  • momof10
    momof10 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: good morning to all.. the start of a new mth wow were did may go. ok everyone is off to school and work and my grandson will not be here for awhile so i am going to go out for a walk i am going to walk down the street to the agway store and by some bird food.. i am not getting in the car i am walking it ..i am putting a small backpack on to carry the bird food back..
    soda question i have a long time ago gave up soda and this weekend i mix some wth cranberry juice which i love but is always to strong and wow the gingerale and cranberry kinda of upset my stomach or was it cause i have not had all that sugar and bubbles in awhile.. i will not do that one again..ok will everyone have a good morning love debbie and family
  • vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Good Morning ladies,
    Welcome to all you newcomers. I love this site and this thread and I know you will too. We keep each other on task and keep each other motivated.
    Wow, I cannot believe how well I am doing and how far I have come. I figured out yesterday that it has taken me 4 months for this 31 pounds. If I keep going at same pace by end of summer I will be at least 30 pounds lighter and then by first of year I will reach my goal. Breaking it down like that seems so manageable.
    Yesterday was a huge exercise day. I swam with granddaughters for 1 1/2 hours; went to gym for 1 hour with hubby; after supper we walked a mile at a local park. I just cannot sit still anymore. I used to sit for hours and watch movies and just be bored and I just cannot do it anymore. I plan to really rev it up for the next week and a half. We leave on the 10th for our trip, so I want to do a lot of extra before that. We will get loads of exercise on our trip, but eating out every meal will need a lot of planning.
    Thank you so much ladies. I feel like I know most of you so well. I wake up each morning and come straight to my computer to see who has posted and what you have to say.
    Vicki
  • hoamai
    hoamai Posts: 76
    Options
    momof10 - I like to mix juice (when I drink it) with sparkling water - makes it lower calorie and very refreshing -
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    Contrary to popular belief I have NOT fallen off the face of the earth. :noway: Things have just been hopping around here between remodel and gardening projects so I'm having a hard time finding time to post or even exercise. It's also party season with almost all our local family birthdays falling in the next 60 days, so there ahas been and will continue to be a plethora of high calorie temptations available on a regular basis. I have GOT to do better in June because I yo yoed all during the month of May and ended up gaining back the 3 pounds I lost. :drinker: Drinking all the water continues to be a real struggle for me. :drinker:

As an added stressor our renter back in Arkansas gave us written notice she is vacating our house so we have to get it inspected and spruced up from 700+ miles away. This time we hope to sell it on contract instead of renting as upkeep from another state is such a pain.

Someone much wiser than me once said "Insanity is doing the same old thing the same old way, expecting different results." So my goal for June is to slow down and take things one day at a time. :flowerforyou: TODAY I will drink all my water, burn at least 250 calories exercising and stay withing my calorie limits. I will also MAKE time to log my calories and check in with you ladies.
  • Grammymax
    Grammymax Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies:
    Sorry that I wasn't more original on the beginning of the thread. My hubby shared his bug with me and I was feeling pretty wiped out last night when I remembered I needed to get this June thread started. I'm still kind of puny feeling but I MUST go to workout. So, after I post I will get myself down there and give it my best :ohwell:

Onfleur: You don’t have to do a thing except show up. We would love to have you join our group. It is such a great group full of encouraging and uplifting women. WELCOME:flowerforyou:

Chao: Thanks for coming back and posting. You will find the encouragement you need on this thread. Keep on coming :flowerforyou:

mimi: We’re here for you.:flowerforyou:

Anne & Barbie: You are always so encouraging and such a blessing to this group of women. Thanks for your words of wisdom.:heart:

Debbie: Hmmmm....don’t know why that soda mix would have bothered you. I have also given up on soda but once in a while will have a couple sips of my hubby’s.:wink:

Vicki: Way to go. Wow - 31 pounds gone! That has to feel so awesome and I’ll bet you’re feeling so much better as well, which shows with all the exercise you are getting in. Good for you.:flowerforyou:

Susan: Those are great goals. I understand about the yo-yoing. I have also gained back some of what I had lost. This is a new month! We can do this together. Hopefully the house stress will be done quickly and you can focus on YOU again. How’s your garden?

Marie: Have a fun day with your friend.

Something I heard at church yesterday has been going through my mind. Maybe it can help us to focus on resisting temptation? "Temptation is set to see us fail but testing is to see us succeed". Let's all PASS THE TEST this month!

I have 6 weeks to lose 10+ pounds. I REALLY want to do this before the family reunion camping trip the end of July. However, I don't want to sabotage myself so I will set my goals to 1 pound a week loss.

JUNE Goals for ME:

Lose 1 pound a week
    Drink 8+ glasses of water
    Workout 5 times a week

Hope you all have a great week.

Esther
  • elli
    elli Posts: 593
    Options
    thank you Esther for starting the new thread. Be careful working out if you're not feeling 100%. Be kind to yourself and take it a little easy ok?

Susan - i like your new picture! I also like the idea of setting day to day goals! Mine today is going to be to post ALL my food - whatever i eat.

Vicki - you have done so great! Gone from a couch potato to an athlete! RIGHT ON! Keep up the good work:happy:

Anne - thank you for looking at the blog on my house - yes yes, it's quite a project! In my old bedroom i didn't even HAVE a closet:laugh: now i'm going 2 have one that's like a small bedroom!!!!!!! My friend Jennifer said i may have to "get a dude" but her husband Terry said, "na, just get more clothes":laugh: i think i like his idea better!

Debbie - good for you for walking to the store instead of driving!

Sorry if i missed some people - but i'll be back! have a great Monday - we will all succeed! :heart: elli
  • momof10
    momof10 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    :smile: good afternoon to all what a beautiful day it is ... that was a nice walk it took me 25 minutes to get there and 30 to come home i had a backpack on so it was easy carrying things.. coming back the hill is in the beginning so i had to work a little harder i had walk a few minutes waited one and took in the veiw and than walk a few minutes until the climb started to go down.. i am having lunch . hard boil egg and a cup of spinach. and a glass of water. on my third to day... hope everyone has a peaceful afternoon love debbie and family

my goals for june
    to journal food and thoughts
    to move more
    water drink more
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hello everyone--Happy Monday:flowerforyou:

I went back to work today, and decided to weigh again this morning because I had a very light calorie day on Sunday. Glad I did, because as of this morning, I have lost another lb. for a total of 16 lbs in 7 weeks, so I am very pleased, especially since I went very light on exercise last week.

For anyone new to the post, a week ago Sunday I tried bike riding for the first time in 12 years and proved the value of wearing a helmet by coming off the bike and landing on my head, among other places. My arm abrasion is healing nicely and the "owee" on my knee is almost healed. Thank goodness for long sleeves and long pants.

I have been fighting with my new MP3 player. The silly thing kept shutting off after playing for a few minutes.:grumble: I remembered something about power settings that I had read, and recalled I had changed one of them. I THOUGHT the change was supposed to make the silly thing turn off automatically if it were accidentally left powered up, but the poorly written instructions misled me. It was actually set to go off automatically after 4 minutes!!:laugh:

After I solved that problem, I found some tracks I had transferred over were showing up in the directory but not playing. Once I figured out they were all from the same CD, I was able to determine they didn't copy properly when I ripped the CD onto my pc, so I solved that problem as well. It appears everything is working correctly now, so I have no excuse not to get out there and WALK today--which is what I am going to do as soon as I post my food and log my food so far today.

:flowerforyou: Welcome to the newcomers.:flowerforyou:

Barb
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hi Susan, I didn't think that you had fallen off the face of the earth..I saw you in the old thread. I knew you would find the new one.:smile:

:flowerforyou: Anne, thank you for your wonderful comments you always know what to saw to help each of us.

A big welcome to our newest members. I see at least three of you.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • doobiedoo
    doobiedoo Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    :smile: A new month, a month of looking forward to losing more pounds! We are all in this together!!:heart: Today I took the step to get rid of my 'fat' clothes. There is somewhat of a sense of security in keeping them, but that leaves me open to failure and being able to go back to them. If they're not there, I won't have anything else to wear, huh?!? Smaller clothes, look out, here I come! Have a great week ladies. Keep up the good work!!:flowerforyou:
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    Thanx for all the encouragement! :flowerforyou:

Just got home from lunching with hubby and then running the errands necessary to have a family cookout for his birthday tomorrow. I made smart food choices at lunch, even though he decided to celebrate his "birthday week" by eating a large piece of coconut cream pie before our sandwiches arrived. He had a cheeseburger, chips and the piece of pie. I had 1/2 a chicken salad sandwich on wheat and a cup of vegetable soup. I keep hoping someday I'll lose enough he'll start trying to eat better too... doesn't look like it will happen THIS week. :ohwell:

I'm taking this drinking enough water thing "by the horns" as we say out here in West Texas. This morning I filled my favorite glass with water then measured its contents to see how many times I need to fill it to drink my gallon of water. So every time I walk by I fill it and tally it on the fridge. So far I am halfway there. :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: I plan to do my walking after supper tonight when it is cooler and not usually so windy.
  • zaza54
    zaza54 Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Just a quick hello. Have been busy all day. Burned a record number of calories I think in the past 3 days. Now must run to the supermarket or no dinner. Can't give my son and me left-over pizza again. Will catch up on your posts later and reflect on goals for new month etc.
    Zaza
  • FITFORLIFE1944
    Options
    HI GUYS,

WAS GOING TO WAIT TO POST UNTIL MORNING,BUT THE PLACE IS JUMPING.

WELCOME TO ONFLEUR, CHAO AND MIMI. WISH YOU ALL SUCCESS ON YOUR WEIGHT LOSS JOURNEY. THIS IS A WONDERFUL PLACE TO FIND SUPPORT. :happy:

MARIE, SNOW, WOW! LIVING IN FLORIDA, I CAN'T IMAGINE IT SNOWING IN JUNE. HOPE YOU HAD A NICE TIME TODAY.:smile:

MOM OF 10, GOOD FOR YOU, LEAVE THAT CAR AT HOME. START THAT JOURNAL. THOSE WHO WRITE DOWN WHAT THEY EAT AND WHY THEY SOMETIMES EAT TOO MUCH ARE MUCH MORE SUCCESSFUL AT KEEPING WEIGHT OFF. YOU ARE DOING GREAT.:flowerforyou: DO'T KNOW WHAT TO SAY ABOUT THE SODA AND JUICE. JUST DO AS YOU SAID AND STAY AWAY FROM IT.:ohwell:

VICKI, 31LBS IN 4 MONTHS, CONGRATS! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: YOU SOUND LIKE A NEW WOMAN. I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU. WHAT A CHANGE FROM COUCH POTATO TO
    A GAL READY TO RUN A 5K. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

SUSAN, I HAD A DISAPPOINTING RESULT FOR MAY TOO, BUT WE WILL FORGE AHEAD AND MAKE JUNE OUR MONTH FOR SUCCESS. ALSO ESTHER, WHO SAID SHE HAD A BIT OF TROUBLE IN MAY TOO. WE WILL DO MUCH BETTER THIS MONTH.:happy: :happy: :happy: :happy:

ESTHER, SORRY YOU ARE UNDER THE WEATHER. FEEL BETTER SOON. :flowerforyou: I LIKED THAT SAYING FROM YOUR CHURCH.

ELLI, YOU ARE WELCOME. I LOVE MY MASTER SUITE. I HAVE A PATIO BUT IT HAS A WINDOW LEADING TO IT FROM MY ROOM AND NOT A NICE FRENCH DOOR. CAN YOU STOP OVER AND PUT UP A DOOR FOR ME. LOL. I AGREE WITH YOU, GET THE CLOTHES. :laugh:

BARB, 16LBS IN 7 WKS. FANTASTIC! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: GLAD YOU ARE HEALING NICELY.

BECKY , YOU ARE VERY WELCOME. LOOKING FORWARD TO GOOD NEWS FROM YOU IN JUNE.:flowerforyou:

DOOBIE, I LOVE HEARING THAT YOU ARE GETTING RID OF THE FAT CLOTHES. WAY TO GO.:happy:

WHAT A HAPPY ENERGETIC PLACE THIS IS. I LOVE READING ABOUT ALL OF YOU. :heart:

ANNE
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Zaza, any of my kids would take left-over pizza anytime.

:flowerforyou: Susan, do you actually get a whole gallon of water into you each day? I would love to do that. Is it possible? WOW,

I would like to know if anyone here posted something about muscles holding water when you first begin to exercise. I read it but don't remember where and I want to get some more information on it.