i'm getting a tattoo today

Options

Replies

• chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I sure hope this butterfly holds meaning for you...
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    oh a butterfly on my hip, surrounded by stars.

is it going to hurt bad? should i take something?
    if you take anything you'll thin yer blood and bleed more .... man the **** up

no doubt! Take the pain...if your artist knows you've been drinking, you won't get the tattoo...and really do you want to bleed more than you already will? the hip is the least painful spot to get a tattoo done
  • _snw_
    _snw_ Posts: 1,305 Member
    Options
    Yes it hurts. Take 3 200mg ibprofen. Dont take a blood thinner or drink alcohol. Get some unscented lotion to treat it for the next few weeks until it heals. You dont need the balm they will try to sell you, just get the lotion. ;)

P.S. Just remember stretch marks happen on hips.

Also, do not use lotion. The chemicals in lotion can interact with the ink. Use A&D ointment.

actually ... there are different schools of thought on this. i've used nothing but unscented lotion for the last 10 years.
  • _snw_
    Options
    I sure hope this butterfly holds meaning for you...

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH. win.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Ok i just looked at her profile lol i love your tattoos on yours arms...
  • offthedeependay
    offthedeependay Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    snw...you are so full of *kitten*!!!! You are loaded with tattoos silly girl :)

ding ding ding. you win today's prize.
    lol I just saw this too,,,ya it will hurt as much as the last one,,pain is good..nice sleeves btw
  • skinnywithin
    skinnywithin Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options

if you take anything you'll thin yer blood and bleed more .... man the **** up

but i'm so scared. needles are scary and tattoo studios are so intimidating.

Theres the sarcasim you smell....love it
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    everyone things sleeves are so beast ... the arms are the easiest place on the body to get done ..... pshhh leg meats are more fun!
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    Yes it hurts. Take 3 200mg ibprofen. Dont take a blood thinner or drink alcohol. Get some unscented lotion to treat it for the next few weeks until it heals. You dont need the balm they will try to sell you, just get the lotion. ;)

Also, do not use lotion. The chemicals in lotion can interact with the ink. Use A&D ointment.

I had my tattoo artist specifically recommend Lubriderm and it didn't mess with the ink, but everyone has different preferences when it comes to keeping the tattoo moisturized. Personally if you know the artist is good at what they do, then just go with what they recommend. Also if you're getting a color tattoo invest in some tattoo protection color guard, bought mine off the tatjacket site. It's got 30 SPF and is designed to preserve color in a tattoo after it's healed so it doesn't fade from sun exposure.

As for pain, I think the hip is one of the more tender areas, but you shouldn't be screaming in pain. It's uncomfortable, can sting especially when you begin to bleed a bit (which is normal, I bled like hell and mine barely hurt) and will leave that muscle area sore for a day or two. If it really hurts, take some ibuprofen. Just remember to listen to what the artist tells you about keeping it covered and out of the sun and not scratching it because during the healing process it WILL itch. Just smack the area a few times (mine itched a lot and people thought I was nuts constantly smacking my arm) and either keeps your nails short or wear gloves at night so you don't scratch it in your sleep.
  • _snw_
    Options
    everyone things sleeves are so beast ... the arms are the easiest place on the body to get done ..... pshhh leg meats are more fun!

nah uh.
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I have a butterfly on my hip....well it used to be a butterfly before I had kids.
  • Corryn78
    Corryn78 Posts: 215
    Options

actually ... there are different schools of thought on this. i've used nothing but unscented lotion for the last 10 years.

same. Never had trouble with A&D, but it's sticky and smells.
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    If you are afraid of needles, why are you getting a tattoo?

Anyway, if you do go through with it, at least make sure you get one at a safe tattoo business that has a certification or whatever.
  • morgansmom02
    Options
    sounds precious!!!!! :flowerforyou:

But may I suggest you get it on your lower back instead?????

No dont put it there!

That is THE best place for a tattoo on a girl!!! especially if it involves roses, butterflies or stars!!!!!

I wanted my my tattoo to be on the back of my neck and the tattoo owner said that since it was my first tattoo, to put it someplace that could be hidden in case I did not like it. (I am in my 40s and have 6 kids, so he was going conservative for me) So, I put it on my lower back. I loved it, so we made it bigger a year later and now I want it to go up my back....AND, I want one on the back of my neck too. But, still afraid that it will hurt too much....I heard the foot is horrible, so I will NEVER do the foot!!!

I have one on the top of my foot. Not that painful! I love the pain of tattoos.
  • Rockerchick77
    Options
    of a butterfly on my hip, surrounded by stars.

you are asking if tats hurt and if you should take something yet your arms are covered in tats??? seems like you should know exactly what to and not to do.
  • MichelleV1990
    MichelleV1990 Posts: 806 Member
    Options

I have some extensive work done, including on the very tender ribcage area, and don't recommend the use of alcohol. It thins the blood, interferes with healing, and makes things more difficult for the artist. I was always told not to block the body's natural endorphins, and got all my ink "cold turkey". Find a focal point and use some breathing techniques if things get a little uncomfortable.
  • _snw_
    Options
    bah on stretch marks. i havee a hip tattoo and a belly tattoo (and piercing) and i've had three kids ~with~ all of those things. Now that the babies are out of me, everything looks exactly the same.
  • morgansmom02
    Options

same. Never had trouble with A&D, but it's sticky and smells.

Every tattoo artist is different. I have used A&D on some and lotion on the others. I just do what the artist tells me.
  • lynsie86
    lynsie86 Posts: 17
    Options

I understand that, and for someone that has tattoos already and knows what to look for and use, it's okay. As a general rule of thumb it's safer to tell people to not use lotion because most won't care to use the right kind. Thus, why I tell everyone to use A&D ointment. I didn't realize you already had tattoos though.
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    Everyone's pain level is different!! Got my 1st almost 3 weeks ago, added to it Sunday. With the first one it was more irritating than painful. With the second, he used a different needle for a vine and that mother hurt! It was over quickly and the rest was no big deal. Interestingly...the vine that hurt looks like the ink is bleeding out. Not liking that. Advice?

Bleeding out as in fading or as in the ink is literally moving away from where it's supposed to be? If your tattoo is fully healed and you're still within the 6 month period from the date you got it, go back to the parlor and ask for a touch up/correction. If the ink has strayed I don't think there's anything to be done to get rid of it, but they can fix the area it should have been in and it should be free. Sometimes the ink will come out, aka fade, or travel in the skin especially if that area bled very heavily or was the most irritated during the process. The areas on my tattoo where I bled most have obvious fade spots, but it's been almost a year so I'm just waiting until I go for my next tattoos to get them to touch up the fading even though it'll cost me.