What will make you fatter...?

Options
15678911»

Replies

• grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    Acg, another thing I don't understand is why fasting insulin levels were so different in lean individuals on Day 0 between CHO and Fat overfeeders. Wasn't this before the overfeeding began?

That is a good question and isn't brought up in the study, I'll have to think why that could be.

You still haven't answered my other question. Can you explain in your own words why there seems to be a contradiction between Figures 1 and 2 when looking at Table 2. True or false, the dieters gained the same amount of fat mass on both fat and CHO overfeeding? If so, how is it possible that CHO overfeeding led to higher total energy expenditure?

False, more fat was gained witht he fat overfeeding as stated. TEF of CHO > TEF of fat

So why does Table 2 say the following:

Change in fat mass from CHO: 1.48kg

Change in fat mass from Fat: 1.51kg

So they draw this conclusion that fat is bad because of a 0.03kg gain in the fat diet?

You're projecting, where did anyone or the study conclude fat was bad?

They concluded that dietary fat leads to greater fat accumulation but this table contradicts that conclusion. They go on to criticize high fat diets in general.
  • sarahc001
    sarahc001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I would think that absorption would play a factor here. For some people more carbs = more fiber = less time for food to stay in the digestive tract; therefore less time for it to be absorbed by the body and less retention of the nutrients and calories....I know in my husband's case he can eat tons of crap with impunity because he literally craps several times a day. In his case a high *fat* meal will certainly result in a trip to the restroom within less than an hour of eating. (I suspect in his case he has IBS.) I haven't taken the time to investigate any studies regarding absorption; however I have to think that depending on the person, whatever gets the food out of the body most quickly (and this may very from person to person) and does not allow for absorption would cause the least gain.
  • nikkijoshua
    nikkijoshua Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Overeating anything by 1000 cal/day will make you fatter whether it's carbs, fat, or protein. Just because insulin is released in response to blood glucose doesn't necessarily mean that the glucose is going to be stored as fat. The body breaks down carbs into glucose (blood sugar) to be used for energy. The insulin causes the cells of the body to be able to absorb that glucose for use. If there is more glucose available than the body needs for energy, it is first stored as glycogen in the muscles and liver. If those glycogen stores are full, then the remaining glucose is stored as fat. That's why the type of carbs you eat are so important. Simple carbs like sugar and white flour cause a spike in insulin because all of the glucose from simple carbs enter the blood very quickly and the body may not need that much energy at one time so alot of it is likely to be stored as glycogen and/or fat. The glucose from complex carbs like whole grains, fruits, and vegetables enter the blood more slowly by releasing smaller amounts of glucose at a time into the bloodstream so you're more likely to use that smaller amount of glucose for energy or store it as glycogen before it's stored as fat.