What's the deal with rice hating?

Options
Like really? Why do so many people default to hating on rice, saying how bad it is for you? Of course whole grain brown rice (not the processed poo) is much better for you than white rice, but that doesn't mean white rice is evil. I eat it almost every day; Sometimes I eat it twice a day. I think it all comes down to portion size and the food you are eating with said rice. I would never give it up.

What say you MFP? Are you a rice hater?

Replies

• liftingheavy
    liftingheavy Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I LOVE rice. I do not eat white rice anymore, but I eat brown rice a couple/few times a week. Boiled in chicken broth with chicken breasts and brocolli... YUMMO.

But I do have to watch my carbs unfortunately. I don't do as well on too many carbs as others may. I think it's metabolic or something.
  • Justacoffeenut
    Justacoffeenut Posts: 3,808 Member
    Options
    I love rice. But have to admit if not careful I tend to over eat it and gain. But I don't think I will ever give it up completely. Got any good recipes?
  • badapdos
    badapdos Posts: 132
    Options
    Well I'm Asian so naturally I eat rice almost every day for dinner. I don't binge and only eat half a cup, which is only 121 calories or so.
  • nokittyno
    nokittyno Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Blecht, I hate Rice, and it's bad for you? GOOD! So I can keep away in good harmony.

But really - (yes I do hate it) as stated, I think anything when portion controlled is alright for you, for the most part anyway. Also.. just for the heck of it - I dislike potatoes - but counter that with a love for Sweet Potatoes. :)
  • coconutbuNZ
    coconutbuNZ Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I love rice. White rice. Always have always fill. I find it more filling than bread or potato.
  • merimeaux
    merimeaux Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I think if various ethnic groups can have rice-based civilizations and not struggle with obesity as much as America does, then it can't be too bad for you. Moderation and portion control are key!
  • VeganPanda
    VeganPanda Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I love it! I have learned to eat whatever I like in moderation, and have lost 20 pounds. RICE IS NOT EVIL! I just had a bunch last night with my Thai curry. :)

Obviously rice isn't a problem, Americans are the obese ones, not Asians!
  • Yes2HealthyAriel
    Yes2HealthyAriel Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I have never liked the taste of rice and can only tolerate it in soups or if there is something with a lot of flavor to go over the top. Risottos are good though, love those. Oh and I love sushi which uses rice also.
  • toadiejones
    toadiejones Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I hate rice...but mostly because my 4 young kids make a hideous mess every time they eat it and I despise cleaning it up!
  • CosmicBella
    CosmicBella Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I eat rice every single day... And I've lost 50 pounds so far. I usually have brown or multigrain sprouted rice, but I will occasionally have a brown and wild or plain brown rice. I love it! :)
  • theNurseNancy
    Options
    I hate rice...but mostly because my 4 young kids make a hideous mess every time they eat it and I despise cleaning it up!

I feel you there. Mine mashes it into the carpet. I eat sticky rice :[
  • theNurseNancy
    Options
    Well I'm Asian so naturally I eat rice almost every day for dinner. I don't binge and only eat half a cup, which is only 121 calories or so.

I eat about 90g cooked (3/4c I think?). It's 155 cals according to the nutrition facts. Usually is paired with chicken and vegetables.

As for rice based cultures usually not being fat - it's because they eat a larger portion of vegetables than anything else.
  • pinkhu13
    pinkhu13 Posts: 133
    Options
    I LOVE (white) rice. Could NEVER give it up. I eat it almost everday too. Rice can help with weight loss (something with digestion or something lol).
  • KC4800
    KC4800 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I love rice. My problem is I really love it. And I used to eat way too much of it. Now I eat it less often and smaller portions. Although when I go out for Indian or Thai Curry, I still each too much rice, but the curry is too good to waste. :)
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Nope. I love my rice. All in moderation.
  • Soupskin
    Soupskin Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I eat instant boil in bag brown rice every day for lunch with a low sodium can of whatever on top. 2 servings per bag and they take about 10 minutes to boil in the microwave.
  • Calyps0
    Calyps0 Posts: 44
    Options
    I eat long grain brown rice nearly every day, mostly with stir fries and casseroles. I also eat rice noodles. It never amounts to more than a cup a day though.
    I love rice and potatoes!
    Last night actually I was thinking about how in the olden days rice pudding was popular but I haven't heard of it for a long time.
  • coconutbuNZ
    coconutbuNZ Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Bruce Lee ate rice, or so my son tells me, and he was the fittest man ever.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I love rice, had some for lunch with my chicken curry today.
  • NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Fit it in your macros and move on.

I have been reading some stuff lately that suggests the "brown is better" mantra we've been eating up for the last couple decades may be substantially overblown.

The following is from Alan Aragon.

White rice actually has an equal or better nutritional yield & also has a better nitrogen-retentive effect than brown rice. This is because the fiber & phytate content of brown rice act as antinutrients, reducing the bioavailability of the micronutrients it contains. Since no one is reading the fricking link, I'll just lay things out here:

Comparison of the nutritional value between brown rice and white rice

Callegaro Mda D, Tirapegui J. Arq Gastroenterol. 1996 Oct-Dec;33(4):225-31.

Cereals are considered an important source of nutrients both in human and animal nourishment. In this paper nutritional value of brown rice is compared to that of white rice in relation to nutrients. Results show that despite higher nutrients contents of brown rice compared to white rice, experimental data does not provide evidence that the brown rice diet is better than the diet based on white rice. Possible antinutritional factors present in brown rice have adverse effects on bioavailability of this cereal nutrients.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9302338

Effects of brown rice on apparent digestibility and balance of nutrients in young men on low protein diets

J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo). 1987 Jun;33(3):207-18. .Miyoshi H, Okuda T, Okuda K, Koishi H.

The effect of brown rice with low protein intake was studied in five healthy young men. Feces were weighed, the digestibility of nutrients was determined, and blood tests were made. Each subject followed a diet consisting mainly of polished rice for 14 days and one consisting mainly of brown rice for 8 days. Both diets contained 0.5 g protein per kg of body weight. The brown rice diet had 3 times as much dietary fiber as the polished rice diet. On the brown rice diet, fecal weight increased, and apparent digestibility of energy, protein, and fat decreased, as did the absorption rates of Na, K, and P. The nitrogen balance was negative on both diets, but more negative on the brown rice diet. The phosphorus balance on the brown rice diet was significantly negative, but other minerals were not affected by the diet. The levels of cholesterol and minerals in the plasma were not significantly different on the polished rice diet and the brown rice diet. Comparing these results with data on standard protein intake (Miyoshi, H. et al (1986) J. Nutr. Sci. Vitaminol., 32, 581-589.), we concluded that brown rice reduced protein digestibility and nitrogen balance.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2822877