What's the deal with rice hating?

Options

Replies

• silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    White rice is nutritionally void: most it's vitamins, minerals and fiber has been stripped. All that is left is the starch which digests fast and coverts quickly into glucose in your body which will cause a spike in blood sugar and leave you crashing soon after. The fiber in brown rice helps to slow the delivery of glucose into the blood stream so you don't get a dramatic high then low in blood sugar; instead you get a steady supply of energy and a feeling of fullness that will last much longer then white rice.

White rice will leave you hungry soon after eating it because it takes very little time for your body to break it down. The result is a sudden increase in energy followed by sluggishness, and cravings for more carb laden foods to get your blood sugar back up. The best way to beat cravings and help weight loss is to keep your blood sugar on an even keel constantly.

That sudden spike in blood glucose is really only good if you eat white rice right before or after strenuous exercise. If those carbs are not used quickly there is a greater chance that they will be stored as fat.
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Bruce Lee ate rice, or so my son tells me, and he was the fittest man ever.
    The key work is fit…, Bruce Lee worked out. He didn’t just eat rice & was done with it.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Having Mexican rice right now, with chicken cooked in the crock pot all day with tomatoes, bell and jalapeno peppers, spinach, black beans and corn, shredded Mexi-blend cheese, and a side of corn bread. Yummmmmmm. I'm in food-heaven!
  • NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    White rice is nutritionally void: most it's vitamins, minerals and fiber has been stripped. All that is left is the starch which digests fast and coverts quickly into glucose in your body which will cause a spike in blood sugar and leave you crashing soon after. The fiber in brown rice helps to slow the delivery of glucose into the blood stream so you don't get a dramatic high then low in blood sugar; instead you get a steady supply of energy and a feeling of fullness that will last much longer then white rice.

White rice will leave you hungry soon after eating it because it takes very little time for your body to break it down. The result is a sudden increase in energy followed by sluggishness, and cravings for more carb laden foods to get your blood sugar back up. The best way to beat cravings and help weight loss is to keep your blood sugar on an even keel constantly.

That sudden spike in blood glucose is really only good if you eat white rice right before or after strenuous exercise. If those carbs are not used quickly there is a greater chance that they will be stored as fat.

Actually not so. See my post above with studies linked.
  • L00py_T0ucan
    L00py_T0ucan Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options
    Fit it in your macros and move on.

I have been reading some stuff lately that suggests the "brown is better" mantra we've been eating up for the last couple decades may be substantially overblown.

The following is from Alan Aragon.

White rice actually has an equal or better nutritional yield & also has a better nitrogen-retentive effect than brown rice. This is because the fiber & phytate content of brown rice act as antinutrients, reducing the bioavailability of the micronutrients it contains. Since no one is reading the fricking link, I'll just lay things out here:

Comparison of the nutritional value between brown rice and white rice

Callegaro Mda D, Tirapegui J. Arq Gastroenterol. 1996 Oct-Dec;33(4):225-31.

Cereals are considered an important source of nutrients both in human and animal nourishment. In this paper nutritional value of brown rice is compared to that of white rice in relation to nutrients. Results show that despite higher nutrients contents of brown rice compared to white rice, experimental data does not provide evidence that the brown rice diet is better than the diet based on white rice. Possible antinutritional factors present in brown rice have adverse effects on bioavailability of this cereal nutrients.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9302338

Effects of brown rice on apparent digestibility and balance of nutrients in young men on low protein diets

J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo). 1987 Jun;33(3):207-18. .Miyoshi H, Okuda T, Okuda K, Koishi H.

The effect of brown rice with low protein intake was studied in five healthy young men. Feces were weighed, the digestibility of nutrients was determined, and blood tests were made. Each subject followed a diet consisting mainly of polished rice for 14 days and one consisting mainly of brown rice for 8 days. Both diets contained 0.5 g protein per kg of body weight. The brown rice diet had 3 times as much dietary fiber as the polished rice diet. On the brown rice diet, fecal weight increased, and apparent digestibility of energy, protein, and fat decreased, as did the absorption rates of Na, K, and P. The nitrogen balance was negative on both diets, but more negative on the brown rice diet. The phosphorus balance on the brown rice diet was significantly negative, but other minerals were not affected by the diet. The levels of cholesterol and minerals in the plasma were not significantly different on the polished rice diet and the brown rice diet. Comparing these results with data on standard protein intake (Miyoshi, H. et al (1986) J. Nutr. Sci. Vitaminol., 32, 581-589.), we concluded that brown rice reduced protein digestibility and nitrogen balance.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2822877

Thanks for posting these studies!

I'll leave the fecal weighing to the scientists, but what I am hearing here is that there might be more nutrients in the brown rice, but that we might not be able to absorb them.

Maybe now I can stop worrying about how I am going to get my parents to switch to brown rice after eating white rice for over 70+ years! :laugh:
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options

Actually not so. See my post above with studies linked.

Thank you for the justification! I love sticky rice! And I agree - rice in moderation is obviously not bad when you look around Asia. I didn't see any brown rice the entire time we were in Seoul last year. I did see lots of white rice with small amounts of black rice in it. And YUMM!!!
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Jasmine rice is my fav. Mmmmmmmm
  • DBlythe50
    DBlythe50 Posts: 18
    Options
    I eat rice but for the most part it is long grain wild rice, brown rice and I like quinoa as well. I use the range free organic no salt added chicken broth when I cook it to add flavor and whatever spices I feel like. We have it twice a week and measure it out always plenty left over and with a protein and vegetables makes a good meal. I lost 40lbs in 14 weeks so eating rice, muftigrain or whole wheat pasta, potatoes in moderation is perfectly fine in my opinion.
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Hate it.. but that's because I can't eat grain very often without getting really ill -I can handle a small portion once every few months..with so little grain bucks in my bank I'm not going to spend them on rice..popcorn would be my grain splurge
  • theNurseNancy
    Options

As for blood sugar spiking, sure it does, but not enough to matter in someone who isn't diabetic. Rice in general fills people up. What makes people so hungry so soon after eating chinese food is not the rice. It's the amount of fat consumed. Fat/calorie ratio takes up less space in the stomach but makes you -feel- fuller sooner. When that fat starts to leave, you feel hungry again because your stomach was never full to begin with.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    As long as it fits into my macros, I have no problem whatsoever with rice.
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    This guy loves rice! :laugh:

big-muscular-asian-guy-eating-tub-of-rice.gif
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    I eat it occasionally - had it for dinner tonight but I have found that I just don't have that much of a taste for it. On a sushi roll yes, but tonight I had a mexican plate with rolled tacos and rice and It was kind of blah.

I usually forego on it now because I would rather have two servings of the protein or whatever else I am ordering as opposed to the rice.

I.e If I get thai I order the say "Garlic Chicken" no rice with stir fry veges instead and double the chicken. Usually shave off like 100 calories and more of the good Garlicy Chicken.
  • eena56
    eena56 Posts: 1,456 Member
    Options
    White rice has been associated with type two diabetes. There are several studies to suggest that, which you can google. Gives your body sugar spikes just like sweets.
  • Raina27
    Raina27 Posts: 133
    Options
    I love rice and eat it almost everyday! Mainly because I used to eat TONS of pasta and was steady gaining weight so I limit my pasta but I eat my rice (in portions) and last month I lost 14lbs so it's not "evil" to me!! :)
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Not much of a fan. Never really have been either. Don't hate it, just sort of neutral on rice. Eh.
  • KatieCuth
    KatieCuth Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I love white rice... dont mind brown rice in certain dishes but with a curry NOOOOO!

You could use the Parboiled rice which is used mostly in India...

Parboiling drives nutrients, especially thiamine, from the bran to endosperm,[3] hence parboiled white rice is 80% nutritionally similar to brown rice. Because of this parboiling was adopted by North American rice growers in the early 20th century.[citation needed]

The starches in parboiled rice become gelatinized, then retrograded after cooling. Through gelatinization, alpha-amylose molecules leach out of the starch granule network and diffuse into the surrounding aqueous medium outside the granules[4] which, when fully hydrated are at maximum viscosity.[5]. The parboiled rice kernels should be translucent when wholly gelatinized. Cooling brings retrogradation whereby amylase molecules re-associate with each other and form a tightly packed structure. This increases the formation of type 3-resistant starch which can act as a prebiotic and benefit gut health in humans.[6] However, this also makes the kernels harder and glassier. Small amounts of milk are often added to parboiled rice as a means to stop over-hardening.[citation needed] Parboiled rice takes less time to cook and is firmer and less sticky.
  • billthekill
    Options
    For me it's a IIFYM deal.
    Had sushi for lunch today and ate too much rice. I ended up really short on my protein intake.
    I like rice but, because I try to limit my carbs,I would rather have Ice Cream instead of rice for my Carbs allowance.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    I effing love WHITE rice. I will not give it up, ever. But I don't eat it all day, or every day, I leave it to 'treat' meals of sushi, and even then I eat lots of sashimi, miso soup, edamame and wakame so that I don't have to fill up on the rice only.

Also have it with curry occasionally, coconut rice makes my knees weak!
  • ster81
    ster81 Posts: 249
    Options
    I love white rice. I eat it every day. Never tried brown rice though...