What's the deal with rice hating?

Options

Replies

• sharzza
    sharzza Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love my basmati rice!!! I could eat rice everyday, and sometimes do. for me the key is portion control!!!
  • tananichelle
    tananichelle Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    LOVE rice. All types - white rice, brown rice, wild rice... It's all in portion sizes. :wink:
  • HisPathDaily
    HisPathDaily Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    It reminds me of when people get on my case because all I do (almost exclusively) is run for exercise ... umm ... sorry, deal with it! :) ... I "THINK" it just may be better than the alternative I chose for years and that was sitting on the couch ... I found something I like to do, and that's all that matters as I'm much healthier.

Same goes with nutrition ... is rice the most nutritional food known to man, umm, no. But if I am choosing rice over buttered linguine or a pound of spaghetti, I think I made a good choice ...

People like to judge, that's all ;)

*psst* ... don't tell anyone but ... *looking around* ... I drink diet soda! *quiet gasps heard all around* :)
  • sarad777
    sarad777 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I love the white minute rice. I don't feel bad eating it at all. I'm perfectly healthy and could be eating much worse things!
  • callmeBAM
    callmeBAM Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    In reply to "I think if various ethnic groups can have rice-based civilizations and not struggle with obesity as much as America does, then it can't be too bad for you. Moderation and portion control are key!"

That is because they walked everywhere and burned more calories than us. You can't make such simplistic assumptions.
  • HisPathDaily
    HisPathDaily Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    lol ...
    i am asian... can't hate rice. :P
  • katkat1717
    katkat1717 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Having Mexican rice right now, with chicken cooked in the crock pot all day with tomatoes, bell and jalapeno peppers, spinach, black beans and corn, shredded Mexi-blend cheese, and a side of corn bread. Yummmmmmm. I'm in food-heaven!

Oh my goodness that sounds divine! Please message me with the recipe...
  • original_cake_face
    original_cake_face Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I'm rice-racist and don't wanna talk about it.
  • lsapphire
    lsapphire Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Rice can be so versatile. Ppl seem to feel the same way about oatmeal.
  • callmeBAM
    callmeBAM Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Phytate, or phytin in rice, binds to minerals, rendering them largely useless to any animal that consumes it. Heat does little to phytate, but, since it’s located in the bran, physically removing the bran removes the phytate. That’s why brown rice eaters tend to have poorer mineral balances than white rice eaters.

That said, it’s the essential neutrality of rice that makes it what it is. The problem with rice in most people’s diets is twofold: it serves as a vehicle for processed fat and sugar; and overweight, insulin-resistant folks with damaged metabolisms can’t handle the glucose load.

So, rice. High carb, very starchy, no real nutrition benefits. The real question is why eat something that is not worth eating and has negative side effects for many people?
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Don't hate rice but will hate on rice. Too many carbs for the "nutrition" value in my opinion and I'd rather spend my carbs somewhere else... That and it sits in my belly like a ton of bricks and I get all bloated and nasty from it (even in small portions) so there's that...
  • Bergiere
    Bergiere Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I like it, though it often doesn't like me
  • MMLong3996
    Options

I have been reading some stuff lately that suggests the "brown is better" mantra we've been eating up for the last couple decades may be substantially overblown.

THANK YOU!! It's driven me crazy for years as I've tried to follow the "brown rice is better" theory, yet nearly every brand I pick up to compare (white vs. brown) have the exact same nutritional content!! It's the same for me with white bread vs. brown bread, I truly don't see a better nutritional value from one over the other; they're nearly identical. Of course, there are brands of brown/wheat breads out there that offer more.
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options

Actually not so. See my post above with studies linked.
    It's very dated material you are quoting.
  • uberrach
    uberrach Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Fit it in your macros and move on.

I have been reading some stuff lately that suggests the "brown is better" mantra we've been eating up for the last couple decades may be substantially overblown.

The following is from Alan Aragon.

White rice actually has an equal or better nutritional yield & also has a better nitrogen-retentive effect than brown rice. This is because the fiber & phytate content of brown rice act as antinutrients, reducing the bioavailability of the micronutrients it contains. Since no one is reading the fricking link, I'll just lay things out here:

Comparison of the nutritional value between brown rice and white rice

Callegaro Mda D, Tirapegui J. Arq Gastroenterol. 1996 Oct-Dec;33(4):225-31.

Cereals are considered an important source of nutrients both in human and animal nourishment. In this paper nutritional value of brown rice is compared to that of white rice in relation to nutrients. Results show that despite higher nutrients contents of brown rice compared to white rice, experimental data does not provide evidence that the brown rice diet is better than the diet based on white rice. Possible antinutritional factors present in brown rice have adverse effects on bioavailability of this cereal nutrients.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9302338

Effects of brown rice on apparent digestibility and balance of nutrients in young men on low protein diets

J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo). 1987 Jun;33(3):207-18. .Miyoshi H, Okuda T, Okuda K, Koishi H.

The effect of brown rice with low protein intake was studied in five healthy young men. Feces were weighed, the digestibility of nutrients was determined, and blood tests were made. Each subject followed a diet consisting mainly of polished rice for 14 days and one consisting mainly of brown rice for 8 days. Both diets contained 0.5 g protein per kg of body weight. The brown rice diet had 3 times as much dietary fiber as the polished rice diet. On the brown rice diet, fecal weight increased, and apparent digestibility of energy, protein, and fat decreased, as did the absorption rates of Na, K, and P. The nitrogen balance was negative on both diets, but more negative on the brown rice diet. The phosphorus balance on the brown rice diet was significantly negative, but other minerals were not affected by the diet. The levels of cholesterol and minerals in the plasma were not significantly different on the polished rice diet and the brown rice diet. Comparing these results with data on standard protein intake (Miyoshi, H. et al (1986) J. Nutr. Sci. Vitaminol., 32, 581-589.), we concluded that brown rice reduced protein digestibility and nitrogen balance.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2822877

Great post. I actually watched a TED Talk last night about bread and how it's been improperly demonized recently. We're talking about a staple in the human diet for centuries --- but, suddenly, we all think it's awful for us? I think, to some degree, white varieties of rice have fallen victim to the same conceptions.

http://www.ted.com/talks/louise_fresco_on_feeding_the_whole_world.html

Here's the talk if you're interested. ^
  • Caffeine_Addict
    Caffeine_Addict Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    for me it's love/hate. I was raised on the stuff. But lately the amount of calories/starch isnt worth it (to me)... unless its in/on/around sushi. I love that stuff.
  • breakbad
    breakbad Posts: 13
    Options
    Anything white is bad if you are trying to lose weight!!
  • ShifuYaku
    ShifuYaku Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Absolutely love rice. I don't eat the long-grain American rice very much anymore, I have been eating Uzbek rice, which you can only get from Uzbekistan. But I'm sure basmati rice is similar, you know that Indian rice you can get at Indian food markets?
  • AthenaErr
    AthenaErr Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I vote FOR rice. Cos its good
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    You are definitely right rice in moderation is perfectly fine, I have brown rice at least three times a week for lunch, and probably 2 times a week for dinner.