call it what you want "starvation mode" is REAL

Options

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    out of curiosity I used a TDEE calculator it came out to 3160 lol wow. Never looked up any of this stuff has I have already lost most of my weight

And that's pretty much what we're getting at. You're eating about half of what someone of your age, height and weight "should" eat... You have about a 1500 daily calorie deficit, and more after exercise. By the math, you "should" be losing 3-4 pounds a week. If you're not, that means that your body has adapted - slowed down - to compensate for the lack of food. Maybe your weight loss hasn't slowed, and you haven't gained, but you're kind of a walking, talking example of starvation mode in action. :wink:

Look, I did it that way, too. I ate very little (and by very little, I mean half of what my body typically burns in a day) and lost the weight I wanted to lose. Slowly. And gained it right back again because my body had slowed down so much that I would have had to keep dieting to keep it off.

This time, eating the right amount, losing it and keeping it off has been easy.
  • watboy
    watboy Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I dont feel deprived and I eat enough where I feel full.I wanted out of curiosity to see what it was and because helloitsdan seemed interested.Well ive been eating like this for years now. Being keeping it off maybe by luck. I dont do the whole counting or bmr /tdee Honestly had never heard of it until recently.
    out of curiosity I used a TDEE calculator it came out to 3160 lol wow. Never looked up any of this stuff has I have already lost most of my weight

And that's pretty much what we're getting at. You're eating about half of what someone of your age, height and weight "should" eat... You have about a 1500 daily calorie deficit, and more after exercise. By the math, you "should" be losing 3-4 pounds a week. If you're not, that means that your body has adapted - slowed down - to compensate for the lack of food. Maybe your weight loss hasn't slowed, and you haven't gained, but you're kind of a walking, talking example of starvation mode in action. :wink:

Look, I did it that way, too. I ate very little (and by very little, I mean half of what my body typically burns in a day) and lost the weight I wanted to lose. Slowly. And gained it right back again because my body had slowed down so much that I would have had to keep dieting to keep it off.

This time, eating the right amount, losing it and keeping it off has been easy.
  • watboy
    Options
    Dan thats a good question . Hmmm one wish I'd like some abs 12% bodyfat maybe 10 lbs lean muscle mass. But my goal is to be 199 lbs. If I had two wishes for physical apperance it be your hair lol.
    Consider this.
    If you were to start a 3 day a week program like Stronglifts 5x5 and followed it to the letter eating what you eat now, you'll probably make it to week 3 before stalling.
    On the other hand if you were to follow it to the letter and eat -20% TDEE at 2500 cals per day and in 12 weeks you could. E squatting 250+x5x5.
    While nutrient timing is no longer relevant in the weight loss world or body building world, having the proper amount of nutrients is key.
    What is your ultimate goal?
    If you had the lamp in your hand and the genie asks "you've got 1wish left but it can only be used to get you to your ultimate physical self."
    What would you say?

For me?
    I want 8% BF year round and to gain 10lbs of lean mass.
    This is currently in progress.
    But I have to embrace the physiological side of things and not use hope and prayer.
    Hope and prayer will get me nowhere.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    I feel like I can help you achieve your goals and even give a timeline.

PM me:
    Body Fat%
    Weight
    How often you work out.

Maybe all you are missing is a tweak here or a tweak there.
  • watboy
    Options
    Wow that's nice.

PM me:
    Body Fat%
    Weight
    How often you work out.

• love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options

PM me:
    Body Fat%
    Weight
    How often you work out.

where do you derive your calculations?
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options

Well the truth of the matter is most people on here are looking to lose weight and are starting off on the wrong foot.
    They dont understand how weight loss works and in turn, extend their diets by months if not years.
    When you come in and say...

Helloitsdan what do you mean by "extend their diets by months if not years" - are you saying this because they are yo-yo dieting or losing weight too slowly???
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Well the truth of the matter is most people on here are looking to lose weight and are starting off on the wrong foot.
    They dont understand how weight loss works and in turn, extend their diets by months if not years.

Helloitsdan what do you mean by "extend their diets by months if not years" - are you saying this because they are yo-yo dieting or losing weight too slowly???

You can lose weight on a slower metabolism. It just takes longer. And some are so close to maintenance level because of slow metabolism, they exercise more without eating more, and actually create a situation where they are at maintenance level.
    So they do that for 4 months wondering why no weight loss.

That's how you extend it for months and years. Slow going, and stalling from time to time.
  • Helloitsdan
    Options

PM me:
    Body Fat%
    Weight
    How often you work out.

where do you derive your calculations?

A dietary calculator.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options

You can lose weight on a slower metabolism. It just takes longer. And some are so close to maintenance level because of slow metabolism, they exercise more without eating more, and actually create a situation where they are at maintenance level.
    So they do that for 4 months wondering why no weight loss.

That's how you extend it for months and years. Slow going, and stalling from time to time.

Thanks.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    an interesting paper, enjoyed that.

The "unexplained" metabolic reduction looks to be about 130 calories a day from Fig 4. Some of the reductions in activity energy were larger.

At least i don't have to worry that my metabolic rate will collapse while dieting, all of the TDEE values were over 2000 calories a day :-)
  • thegrainmaster
    Options
    Starvation mode doesn't exist... starvation does though.

Of course your BMR will decrease, but it will be relative to the weight you loose. Most people are also inaccurate at counting calories and do tend to under estimate, thinking they're taking in less.

I have been caloric restricting for a few years and my weight hasn't adapted, I have remained underweight..Although my body functioning as adapted.
    Options

Of course your BMR will decrease, but it will be relative to the weight you loose. Most people are also inaccurate at counting calories and do tend to under estimate, thinking they're taking in less.

I have been caloric restricting for a few years and my weight hasn't adapted, I have remained underweight..Although my body functioning as adapted.

uuuuh..if you haven't read the thread please refrain from commenting. as has already been explained--when we say "starvation mode" we are talking about a decline in BMR. Also, it is NOT PROPORTIONAL to the loss in weight/body mass--it's greater and that is the "Starvation response" that people are referring to.

Sounds like you should see a doctor. No offense.
  • Helloitsdan
    Options

Time to eat and lift weights?
    I say YES!
    Options

I say YES!

doesn't sound to me like she's interested in being healthy.
  • armaretta
    armaretta Posts: 851 Member
    Options

I say YES!

doesn't sound to me like she's interested in being healthy.
    That's a dude according to the profile. Do trolls have a gender?
  • thegrainmaster
    Options
    Armaretta,

I'm not a 'troll' I am here to help people in the best way I can.

I want to dispel the myths... it seems many people are still cornered into believing them... they quicker they know the real solution, the quicker they can be happier!
    Options
    Armaretta,

I'm not a 'troll' I am here to help people in the best way I can.

I want to dispel the myths... it seems many people are still cornered into believing them... they quicker they know the real solution, the quicker they can be happier!

so please clarify your point--it didn't seem to make much sense to me.
  • mici0427
    mici0427 Posts: 54
    Options
    frankly this whole idea of "starvation mode" is bunk if you are involved in a weight training regime...

otherwise, sure i can see how people who go into hypocaloric deficiets can be causing harm to themselves over the long term...

why anyone would try to lose weight by diet alone is beyond me, unless for some reason you are physically unable to exercise... that'd mean you're like so obese you can barely move, but for the rest of "us" get your rear end up and do something, weight training is for everyone...

Respectfully dude.... That doesn't always mean that. There are overweight people in wheelchairs. Ones that couldn't even walk
    while triing to lose weight.

There are also other people with health problems that struggle to get out of bed. Weight training isn't for everyone and blanket statements like that are silly.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    an interesting paper, enjoyed that.

The "unexplained" metabolic reduction looks to be about 130 calories a day from Fig 4. Some of the reductions in activity energy were larger.

At least i don't have to worry that my metabolic rate will collapse while dieting, all of the TDEE values were over 2000 calories a day :-)

Your BMR dropping lower has nothing to do with where your estimated TDEE.

You NET eating below your BMR constantly is what will effect your real BMR, and therefore lower your real TDEE.

That your estimated TDEE is over 2000 is immaterial.