Why do guys stare at women lifters?

Options
Flixie00
Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
I have recently started lifting as part of a strength training programme and I am aware that when I am on my own, a lot of the guys in the weights area of the gym are checking out what I am doing. I have had this in more than one gym, but I don't get this when I am working out with my (male) PT. I have not been hastled by any of the guys in the weights area, but the staring does make me uncomfortable and has made me shy away from lifting in the past. I am no stunner and not lifting heavy, so I don't understand the staring.

I did not post this as an opportunity to bash male lifters, I would just like to understand why they do it.

Replies

• japruzze
    japruzze Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Ran into the same thing. So I asked one of the guys watching me. He told me its not a good idea to lift alone. I needed someone to "spot" me. He said the guys don't think twice about helping each other but hesitate to offer help to a woman. He said he was watching to make sure I didn't get hurt. I told him to stop watching and stat spotting! LOL!
  • sara1923
    sara1923 Posts: 53
    Options
    I am glad you brought it up because I have heard people that try to say guys dont stare and its us being paranoid. I will agree that I have caught people staring.I do laugh at the ones that try to be sneaky and use their mirrors or peripheal vision.. still obvious.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    yeah i think it's more of wanting to make sure we're not going to hurt ourselves.

it happens everytime i join a new gym and enter the weight room. but as you keep going back, the stares are less about is she going to hurt herself and more about "damn she's starting to look good".
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I stare at everyone if that helps.

O.O
  • lickmybaconcakes
    lickmybaconcakes Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    The same reason women do to men
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    1. Wow! That's impressive!
    2. Wow! She's hot!
    3. I hope she doesn't hurt herself.

And the occasional jerk wad is thinking
    4. She doesn't belong over here.

Luckily they aren't the general rule.

Honestly it's more likely 1 or 2, but if you ask it's number 3. :wink: :laugh:
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I watch them to make sure they aren't watching me =P
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I stare at girls that lift too. Usually I am the lone female doing strength training. I also have to stare at guys lifting very very heavy. Then I have to change my pants :blushing:
  • KatKatatrophic
    KatKatatrophic Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    They jealous because the women is just as strong as him :)
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Guys stare at women, full stop.
  • coconutbuNZ
    coconutbuNZ Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I watch them to make sure they aren't watching me =P
    LOL:laugh:
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    What can I say? Women who lift are hot. I know its rude to stare and i'd like to think I don't but for sure I would look twice!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    because it's hot.
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    2. Wow! She's hot!

When I use to lift at the gym...I would get the occassional # 4 "She doesn't belong over here" look lol....But I remember a guy once told me to "Be careful" as he walked by so I am assuming I got # 3 "I hope she doesnt hurt herself" or.......... "She is doing it all wrong" :laugh:

Either way it goes, I always felt uncomfortable lifting weights at the gym....I would feel much better if I had someone to go with so I just stay away from that area, and just lift weights at my own place.
  • sphinxdust
    sphinxdust Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    It's because guys stare at men lifters also, so get used to it.
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I always feel like I am doing the exercise wrong when people stare. Yesterday I actually asked one of the guys there to show me how to do a bunch of different lifts and proper form. It was helpful and I didn't feel like a complete *kitten* afterwards either. Hopefully I don't lose that confidence next time I enter the weight room.
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    2. Wow! She's hot!

When I use to lift at the gym...I would get the occassional # 4 "She doesn't belong over here" look lol....But I remember a guy once told me to "Be careful" as he walked by so I am assuming I got # 3 "I hope she doesnt hurt herself" or.......... "She is doing it all wrong" :laugh:

Either way it goes, I always felt uncomfortable lifting weights at the gym....I would feel much better if I had someone to go with so I just stay away from that area, and just lift weights at my own place.

Ummm you got a lot of Wow! She's hot! too. Trust me on this one.
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Why?? Because we ARE AWESOME!!! Don't blame them, they can't help it...just do your thang girl. :drinker:
  • Lukazetta
    Lukazetta Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    If you feel that people are staring at you while you lift (men or women), chances are that you should concentrate a bit more on lifting.
  • stewives
    stewives Posts: 2
    Options
    Because you are so beautiful to me!

Can't you see?