Why do guys stare at women lifters?

Options

Replies

• sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    hahahaha.

you can get the same answer if you leave off the last word of your question.
  • steve1686
    steve1686 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    why do women wear skin-tight yoga pants and sports bras to the gym and then wonder why men stare at them?
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    why do women wear skin-tight yoga pants and sports bras to the gym and then wonder why men stare at them?
  • skinnylove00
    skinnylove00 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    because they dont expect us to be there probably...i get bored on the elliptical and it doesnt really do much for me besides burn calories...but in the weight room i am torching cals SO quicker!! i think the guys gawk because i know what i am doing and I know how to adjust a machine! funny enough, lately i`ve been making the machine on the shortest setting and then adjusting it to a higher weight. one guy even asked ME how to adjust a machine! ;D SMALL BUT MIGHTY!!!
  • cldwyer150
    cldwyer150 Posts: 20
    Options
    that's awesome!!
  • ofthevalley
    ofthevalley Posts: 69
    Options
    I just really like this thread LOL
  • cmay89
    cmay89 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    My favorite is when a new guy comes into my box (my gym/my domain) and stares at the weight I am putting up, tries to out-do me and fails. Then, stares again, trying to figure out how a girl could possibly lift more than him.

But I do like the point that people have brought up about them wanting to suggest a spot, but are uncomfortable doing so. I try to be really open when one approaches me about my form or with any suggestion. Just because I know a lot about lifting, and have decent form, and can put up a lot of weight does not mean that I know it all and I am open to critiques. Of course, if I am given a critique or a suggestion I scrutinize their form like no other, making sure the advice they give is valid and that they follow it themselves.
  • spazofthedead
    spazofthedead Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    4. Personal one here, but i find it laughable how many women have better form than the bros

At least in my experience, this is easily explained by women's lack of comfort in the weight room in the first place. We know we're not a common sight in there, and if a woman is at all serious about going in there she's going to research her **** and know what she's doing before she gets a chance to make a fool of herself.

Just an observation.

I haven't had trouble with staring since I've started lifting. I've had plenty of guys talk shop with me, some bad advice given, plenty of compliments on my deadlift form and even a last second spot or two, but never staring or anything that would make me uncomfortable.
  • Limajuliet
    Limajuliet Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Say hi to the guy staring at you, have a friendly chat and you'll be able to work out why he was staring... and may not do it again!
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

**At least in my experience, this is easily explained by women's lack of comfort in the weight room in the first place. We know we're not a common sight in there, and if a woman is at all serious about going in there she's going to research her **** and know what she's doing before she gets a chance to make a fool of herself.

Just an observation.

[/quote]

^^This for sure. I read somewhere that women will have better form then men most of the time because they do the research and they believe form is more important than weight.

Also - I had a guy decide to do skullcrushers on a bunch directly behind me as I'm squatting. Maybe I'm over thinking it but I'm pretty sure he made sure to do his set while I was resting so he could watch me on my sets. Lol....I guess that's what I get for wearing yoga pants and a tank top. Oh and the reason I think that is because this isn't the normal place for people to do skullcrushers so it was kind of odd he was there.

**Sorry not sure how I messed up quoting you on the top half.
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was my second day lifting and it was a better experience. I was (trying) doing bicep curls and this guy stood in front of me, saying something. I took my headphones out and he showed me the proper way to do bicep curls. Then he spent the next hour showing me workouts, encouraging me and spotting for me. It was so sweet of him, and the best part is that he didn't ask for my number or make a move so I believe he genuinely wanted to help. I feel more confident in the weights area, and the more confident I get, the less I care about the stares.
  • docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was my second day lifting and it was a better experience. I was (trying) doing bicep curls and this guy stood in front of me, saying something. I took my headphones out and he showed me the proper way to do bicep curls. Then he spent the next hour showing me workouts, encouraging me and spotting for me. It was so sweet of him, and the best part is that he didn't ask for my number or make a move so I believe he genuinely wanted to help. I feel more confident in the weights area, and the more confident I get, the less I care about the stares.
    I would have asked for his number, lol!
  • woodsygirl
    woodsygirl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I don't mind stares however I do mind if they come up and say something creepy.

The other day I was trying to figure out a new move and it took a few tries when someone decided to come up and ask "what was that jump doing for you"? I laughed and said "I don't think it was doing anything". Then he proceeded to tell me what muscular legs I had, at least from what he could see with my pants on. :noway:
  • upti5872
    upti5872 Posts: 12
    Options
    I'm not sure if it's been said already but another reason why is some women come to the gym damn near naked! One improper lifting technique and everything could be working it's way out! i understand that you want to be comfortable when you work out but there is a difference between comfortable and a lingerie model. You have two types of guys who worked out: the high hormone horn dogs, and the " I want to live a full and healthy life " guys. Now I don't need to say which ones are drooling at the women lifters; the other ones are just wondering, " Is she really here to work out or to pick up? " I just left the gym because of this. A young lady came in with her 5 yr old sister's panties and training bra on and there just happen to be a gym full of young horn dogs in there. It's hard to work out when all the equipment is being tied up by gaukers or it is covered in drool and sweat! Just shameless in my opinion.....
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    I would have asked for his number, lol!

:laugh:
  • Kincar
    Kincar Posts: 601 Member
    Options

That's great. The longer you've been lifting the less stares you'll get. You tend to see the same people if you go at the same time every day. Plus, your confidence will go up the longer you're doing it.

For the record I never wore yoga pants and a sports bra and I never thought every guy wanted me. Most of the time it was the feeling of "What is SHE doing in here?" from the guys, and "Look at that ho in there trying to pick up men!" from the scantily dressed women outside the man cave. This was 20 years ago and it was a meat market gym. But it was super convenient to my house & had a good free weight section.
  • kazzari
    kazzari Posts: 473 Member
    Options

For the record I never wore yoga pants and a sports bra and I never thought every guy wanted me. Most of the time it was the feeling of "What is SHE doing in here?" from the guys, and "Look at that ho in there trying to pick up men!" from the scantily dressed women outside the man cave. This was 20 years ago and it was a meat market gym. But it was super convenient to my house & had a good free weight section.

I usually wear loose drawstring pants and a sports bra under a T-shirt. I think things have changed a lot for the better. More women lifting, although I haven't seen any woman besides myself doing conventional deadlifts for some reason-squats and Romanian dl's, yes, but not cdl's in my gym. I think if you walk into the weight room with confidence and take your workout seriously, you'll feel respect rather than stares.
  • delikium
    delikium Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I always wear one of my bf t-shirts when I train. They fit like a tent and I'm super comfy in them
  • delikium
    delikium Posts: 196 Member
    Options

Maybe so u come over and help lifting????
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options

That's great. The longer you've been lifting the less stares you'll get. You tend to see the same people if you go at the same time every day. Plus, your confidence will go up the longer you're doing it.

Defo! I can't wait until I know what I'm doing and develop a routine.