Why do guys stare at women lifters?

Options

Replies

• aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Because in between sets what are you going to look at? I stare at guys. Well I'm not staring, I just look around. I do find myself staring at my guy sometimes. ;P But hey...what better motivation than to look at the amazing lifters or lookers around in rest periods? :) Now when I catch someone constantly staring the whole time then it kind of gets to me. There are a couple who just make me uncomfortable the entire time and the trainer at our gym will just come up uncomfortably close to you while your doing an exercise, sit and stare like he's waiting to correct something. =/ If I weren't so quiet and nonconfrontational I'd say something to him.
  • ahealthy4u
    ahealthy4u Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Ran into the same thing. So I asked one of the guys watching me. He told me its not a good idea to lift alone. I needed someone to "spot" me. He said the guys don't think twice about helping each other but hesitate to offer help to a woman. He said he was watching to make sure I didn't get hurt. I told him to stop watching and stat spotting! LOL!

Love it LOL to funny but it is true one should never lift alone we all have done it but it isn't good unless you have saftey bars when lifting weights even if you have saftey bars you should still have someone with you just in cause.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,691 Member
    Options
    because it's hot.
    This. Nothing like a female with sexy legs pushing 300lbs on the leg press.

A.C.E. Certified Personal & Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    In other news, grass is green and the ocean is blue.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    128423-284x423-squat-clean.jpg

This could be why.
  • pinkita
    pinkita Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    This is why I'm planning to get a weight bench and other equipment for my home! I know I shouldn't care, but I've spent most of my life feeling self-conscious about my looks and the last thing I could stand now is to have to deal with looks/comments from men at the gym. When I was going to the gym it was just to use the elliptical, but I could see the free weights section from where I was. There were very few times a woman would enter, but everytime one did, I saw men stare, snicker, etc. Shows that I still have a ways to go mentally with all this, but for now I've decided to just set up a workout space at home.
  • EvonyPrincess
    Options
    Most guys aren't turned on by women lifters as much as just trying to make sure you don't kill yourself. Although a lot of them are staring at my *kitten*. I mean, women stare at women lifters too so don't make it a "guy" thing.
  • EvonyPrincess
    Options
    128423-284x423-squat-clean.jpg

This could be why.
    No on in my gym looks like that...more like this
    NTyMh.gif
  • RahBuhBuh
    RahBuhBuh Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Staring...who is staring?
    I'm either focusing on not passing out because I just lifted 2x what I should have so that I don't look like a wimp near someone more fit than me.

Or

I'm staring off into space daydreaming about they day when donuts will be considered health food.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Because in between sets what are you going to look at? I stare at guys. Well I'm not staring, I just look around. I do find myself staring at my guy sometimes. ;P But hey...what better motivation than to look at the amazing lifters or lookers around in rest periods? :) Now when I catch someone constantly staring the whole time then it kind of gets to me. There are a couple who just make me uncomfortable the entire time and the trainer at our gym will just come up uncomfortably close to you while your doing an exercise, sit and stare like he's waiting to correct something. =/ If I weren't so quiet and nonconfrontational I'd say something to him.

Oh, he's not a trainer, he's a Creeper. I've dealt with creepers at the gym. They get so close you are afraid you're going to hit them with your weights. Actually, going a little extra with the range of motion and actually hitting them with your weights is a good way to deal with them. LOL :laugh:
  • adrian_indy
    adrian_indy Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    They are looking regardless if you are lifting or not.
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I guess I've never really gotten any bad looks or noticed anyone really staring at me for lifting. I like to look around at guys/girls to see what they are lifting, how much, and their form.
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    because it's hot.

Be careful... someone will take offense to this if they don't have sexy legs or press 300lbs! :tongue:
  • EvonyPrincess
    Options
    because it's hot.
    ]
    Pfft you must not get out much
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    First, I just think it's awesome to see women doing some real weightlifting. Second, if I'm resting in-between sets and somebody near me is benching for instance, man or woman, I'll kinda keep an eye out just in case they suddenly need a spot.
  • imjessly
    imjessly Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I get stared at when I lift too, doesnt' bother me. I just think "yes, thats right buddy, i put the weights UP after you used them" :laugh:
  • walkner88
    walkner88 Posts: 165
    Options
    I feel like its a little cocky of all of you who assume its something sexual. Every time I lift you will see guys watching each other too. You will see people with logs writing down exercises they didn't know about, getting up to help spot someone who needs it, and helping the obvious new guy who needs help with form. So just get over yourself and realize we are there to improve ourselves and our gym community, not hook up with conceited children.
  • ferrytrip
    ferrytrip Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Because you are a woman and they are guys. There is no other reason.
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    Sorry if this is an old thread, but I experienced this too! I'd always been too intimidated to go into the free weights section of my gym, but yesterday, my friend gave the confidence to do so and showed me some moves. After he left, I carried on for about another hour. I really enjoyed it, but there was these guys behind me (young ones) who kept snickering, looking at me, and saying stuff. It made me REALLY uncomfortable. I also got a lot of looks from the men in there, but didn't mind that so much. It's just those ones that got to me.
  • EuroDriver12
    EuroDriver12 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    um i think theres one of 3 reasons why a guy would stare..

1. the girl looks good
    2. to see how much she can lift and what she can do
    3. she looks like a man... vainy, shredded, n dry face...