Options

Replies

• rainydaydreamr
    Options
    bump on the frosty recipe :P
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    This is so true. Junk food substitutes may taste good enough to satisfy your craving for the real thing, but they don't taste like the real thing.

Then again, if lying to yourself helps you stick to your diet, keep it up.
  • _Bob_
    _Bob_ Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I'm juicing and you're right it tastes like vegi juice and nothing else. sometimes I chug it because it just doesn't taste good sometimes. other times it's not that bad, but it doesn't taste like roast or steak or "pie" I'll be bad when this cleanse is done.
  • sunnyday789
    sunnyday789 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    On that note, the Pure Protein Revolution Peanut Caramel Bars DO.NOT.TASTE.LIKE.A.SNICKERS. I do enjoy my pure protein stuff, but don't sell it as something it isn't.
    Nothing... but nothing tastes like a Snickers... except a Snickers. To say otherwise.... well, it's just wwrong!

That said, I still don't understand my own logic, in my life before MFP. I mean really - why was it always Snickers and a Diet Dr. Pepper? Like the aspartame in the soda pop was going to offset the sugar in the candy? Sometimes I do the most illogical stuff!

:blushing:

Totally logical to me; it's a great way to reduce the calories by over 100 and still have the pop.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    You taste like pie.

:heart:
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    Somebody needs a hug

or a real snickers bar, haha
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    LOL

I feel this way about Yoplait ads in particular. They show a scrumptious piece of Cheesecake and then say hey have this cheesecake "flavored" tub of yogurt. It's just as good!

WHAT??????

I don't care what you do to it! It's not Cheesecake and it can't even approach it in being delicious!

And I like yogurt. They just don't compare.

I tried Yoplait's "red velvet cake" yogurt....because I could eat a whole cake and I was craving it....eeeewwww gross, red velvet grossness! I threw it away!!

Totally agree with this. I prefer strawberry banana or some something where the flavor comes from real fruit. I don't want some flavor concoction someone clearly made up in a lab.
  • 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Wendy's Frosty Protein Shake:
    2 ounces sugar free chocolate syrup (not Hershey's syrup.. it's the syrup you find in the coffee isle. My brand is Torani)

See, I already don't buy it. Torani uses Splenda in their SF syrups, and that alone destroys the "tastes just like a Frosty!" claim. It's great that you like it and have found a healthier way to enjoy something decadent-- don't get me wrong. But I cannot fathom how anyone can't taste the difference between sucralose and sugar, or sucralose and another artificial sweetener, for that matter. I can't even explain with words how absolutely disgusting I find the stuff.
  • joankpoirier
    joankpoirier Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I hear the same thing all the time.. I have chosen shakeology not as a replacement but for the benefits. although it does have a pleasing taste.. Still not pie.. LOL
  • carriem73
    carriem73 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Loving everything about this topic!!!!
  • sunshinesonata
    sunshinesonata Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    ^^

This is exactly why when I want a snickers, I have a snickers. Albiet - a fun size snickers, but still. It's usually the first couple bites that I'm satisfied after, anyway.

When it comes to an occasional 'splurge', I don't see the point in trying to fool your mind into thinking something tastes like something else.

If you're going to have something that you wouldn't normally have, why not have the real thing?
  • 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Okay.. here's one for you. So these aren't really that healthy, but they are most certainly healthier than a regular brownie and I promise you, they are delicious. Mine came out a little cakier than I like a brownie, but when I make them again I plan to cut down on the egg to see if I can't remedy that.

www.balticmaid.com/2011/08/healthy-zucchini-brownies/

**I used extra dark cocoa, 1/2 c. honey and 1/4 c. raw sugar, omitted the cardamom completely (didn't have it), added some flaxseed meal, and just more than half the prescribed choc. chips (miniature go further, so you can use less!)

I had to bring the leftovers to work to keep myself from devouring the entire batch, and people still ask me to make them again.
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower "rice" and "mashed potatoes" taste like ... cauliflower. yuck!
  • MrsWilsoncroft
    MrsWilsoncroft Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Pmsl!!

I love this thread.

And who the hell seriously wants to eat a cheesecake flavoured yogurt? That just makes me cringe, no way is it like a real big slab of cheesecake lol x
  • Cmonnowguys
    Cmonnowguys Posts: 361 Member
    Options

On that note, the Pure Protein Revolution Peanut Caramel Bars DO.NOT.TASTE.LIKE.A.SNICKERS. I do enjoy my pure protein stuff, but don't sell it as something it isn't.

Rant over.
    WOW. PMS much?
    Yes, because every woman who has a strong opinion/gets angry/is not positive all the time is on her period. What a sexist, misogynistic concept.

I love Jello No-Bake cheesecake, but once you mix the crust with butter and the filling with milk, it can get unhealthy in a hurry, and the Jello Temptations raspberry cheesecake are a pretty good alternative. They're not huge servings but only 120(?) calories each. They're good enough that I won't go out and buy a no-bake instead. And Publix makes a light tiramisu ice cream that tastes a lot like some caramel frozen Starbucks drink that I can't remember the name of, and only 140 calories per half cup. You can find yummy substitutes, but they will never be perfect.

Most of the time, nothing "tastes just like" anything else to me. Eventually I learn to prefer the healthier version though.

Sexist and misogynistic? It was a woman who said she was in PMS-mode. I'm also a woman and totally agree. People should eat what THEY think tastes good, fits into their goals and get over it.
  • tig_ol_bitties
    tig_ol_bitties Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    If you enjoy something, then why would you ever try to replace it with a "fake" version? Wouldn't it make more sense to you to enjoy what you love *in moderation* rather than deprive and substitute with versions that probably have more chemical additives and nasty crap in them anyway?

...just a thought...
  • agentscully514
    Options
    Sexist and misogynistic? It was a woman who said she was in PMS-mode. I'm also a woman and totally agree. People should eat what THEY think tastes good, fits into their goals and get over it.

Are you saying women can't be sexist? sounds kinda sexist. :)
  • agentscully514
    Options
    If you enjoy something, then why would you ever try to replace it with a "fake" version? Wouldn't it make more sense to you to enjoy what you love *in moderation* rather than deprive and substitute with versions that probably have more chemical additives and nasty crap in them anyway?

...just a thought...

Cauliflower is 100% nasty crap if you ask me. :)
  • Cmonnowguys
    Cmonnowguys Posts: 361 Member
    Options

Are you saying women can't be sexist? sounds kinda sexist. :)

haha, nice one
  • tig_ol_bitties
    tig_ol_bitties Posts: 561 Member
    Options

...just a thought...

Cauliflower is 100% nasty crap if you ask me. :)

So don't eat it. Whew, that was complicated to figure out!