What is the obsession with thigh gaps?

Options
Lozze
Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
Can someone explain this to me? With small words? I don't get the obsession with them. MOST of the time they are because someone's got too thin (I'm not talking about the women who have them naturally because of body shape) and I don't understand what is meant to be so sexy about them?

Replies

• brookepenni
    brookepenni Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about the gap, but I remember the day I noticed mine were no longer bleeding and chaffing with every step I took. That was a great day! That's all that matters to me!!!
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    LOL. I must have been really lucky because I never had that issue!
  • I have the obsession but I can't explain it either? different people value/find attractive different parts of their body I guess
  • Amedug
    Amedug Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I've had 'Thunder Thighs' forever. In the summer I would wear a skirt and my thighs would be so sore after walking. They would rub together and cause a rash and sometimes bleeding. I'm 24lbs lighter and I've noticed a small gap appearing when I stand. Its a lovely feeling. I always hated my thighs more than any other part of my body and now I'm noticing a change =) Thigh gaps are great.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    the ricketts look is in?
  • gatorgirlyyy
    Options
    I'm just saying a thigh gap doesn't necessarily mean that you are too thin. If you are my height (5' 4"), weigh 127 pounds (Goal Weigh, been there before), workout, and get really muscular and toned legs... they will not rub together. :)
  • gatorgirlyyy
    Options
    the ricketts look is in?

I just have to say that you weight loss progress is amazing! :)
  • missbaker89
    missbaker89 Posts: 245
    Options
    bump
  • AthenaErr
    AthenaErr Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends a bit on the shape of your legs, but I have this when I am in normal weight and I find it sexy. Also when I get fatter it comes together and it chafes - nothing makes me feel less sexy than thigh rub.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    No matter how skinny I've been, even under 100lb, my thighs touch. For some women, that is simply how their body fat is distributed and a healthy woman will always have body fat. For other women, their body fat isn't arranged like that and their thighs won't touch if they're a healthy weight. But to deliberately seek to achieve this as a goal seems bizarre.

I've always wondered whether this crazy obsession is linked to men (and women's!) equally crazy obsession with the size of a man's appendage. The idea being that the less that gets in the way of a chap getting right there and giving a woman a jolly good seeing to, the more it seems as if they have to offer...

Or maybe it's that whole thing of some men (and women!) liking the look of women with a prepubescent image, such as zero body hair, no breasts, no hips, &c. basically not liking everything that happens to a girl when she becomes a woman.

Neither seems sensible, but they're the only ideas I can come up with.
  • NicolettetheGreek
    NicolettetheGreek Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about the gap, but I remember the day I noticed mine were no longer bleeding and chaffing with every step I took. That was a great day! That's all that matters to me!!!

Oh, laughed at that so hard, I had tears running down my leg!!

Thank you, I need that laugh at 4:42 this morning!
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I'm most amused by the phrase 'jolly good seeing to'. :-)

but yeah, this is genetics. You either have the capacity for it, or you don't. Like having big boobs, or a long swanlike neck. And these things go in and out of fashion. No point at all in getting tied up in knots about it.
  • Hoosier_born
    Options
    I wanted one so badly in high school seemed like all the popular people had them. I was a swimmer back then, and always staring at my reflection, and I was 145 pounds, slim, and still had it.

I wonder now why I was obsessed by it. I CBF now if I have it, I 'd like to be under 100kg. All the things as a teen now seemed so damned silly.
  • harrietlg
    harrietlg Posts: 239
    Options
    I guess it would just be nice if my inner thighs didn't wobble like jelly and rub together so much i look like i've pooped myself from the pain!! I just want to wear a skirt this summer and not have to wear tights!
  • BlaireV
    BlaireV Posts: 137
    Options
    I have a thigh gap and I certainly don't look like I have "rickets", nor am I an unhealthy weight. I'm 5'6" and 129 pounds, and I had a thigh gap when I was 150 pounds. This is just the way my hips and legs are shaped.
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I have a natural thigh gap when my weight is healthy. I've never given a thought as to whether it's sexy - I just know it's more comfortable!
  • kayleesays
    kayleesays Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I think it has to do with having wider hips and low body fat. I want my thighs to touch, but when I sit down on a chair or toilet seat, I do not want them to balloon out to 3x their standing size.
  • sheryllamb72
    sheryllamb72 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends a bit on the shape of your legs, but I have this when I am in normal weight and I find it sexy. Also when I get fatter it comes together and it chafes - nothing makes me feel less sexy than thigh rub.

^^^^^^THIS...........thigh rub is NOT sexy when you have large thighs!
  • suziblues2000
    suziblues2000 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I remember when I was a teenager I was SO embarrassed by my 'thigh gaps'. My legs were so skinny!
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options

That's a ditto for me as well - even though I'm a guy. Great post.
This discussion has been closed.