What is the obsession with thigh gaps?

Options

Replies

• mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    Ill be satisfied the day my thighs dont rub together because it is uncomfortable. That is all. :smile: But am I obsessing over it? No not at all.
  • StevLL
    StevLL Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    This is not as strange a subject as most think, it's an actual probelm for some folks when it comes to comfort and health, both physcal and mental. I also don't think it's just about weight I think genetics is huge.

As a guy old enough to remember when Corduroy (sic) was the fashion I can say visual preferences aside the pain from starting a fire between your thighs from material friction is not pleasant and takes some time to heal. I get the desire for lack of thigh rub. When I found lifting as a young adult it changed my legs forever. Changes in specific body parts can happen with the right combination of cardio/weightlifting/calesthenics/pylometrics. It requires dedication and a lot of time, but even though last year I got all the way up to 371 my thighs didn't rub. But 35 years ago I would have to put patches in the thighs of my jeans before wearing them the first time to keep them from disintergrating from spontaneous combustion.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    So this seemed to pop up in the last few years which I found entertaining. It was never a thing when I was younger but a lot of pro ana people on tumblr seem to want them. That being said even when I was at my largest weight my knees were more likely to knock together then my thighs. Its all in the way your made. The biggest part of me now is my *kitten* and thighs and I still have one.
  • Scandinavia
    Scandinavia Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I have a thigh gap.

When I stand with my feet shoulder width apart.

LOL, this. Made my day.
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I just want to be able to wear shorts when I run, or something cute and sexy for my fella and not worry about looking gross or starting a fire! I only want a small natural one though, I am not dieting with a gap as a goal. I am 10lbs away from my goal, and I still don't have one, so odds are not in my favor as of now. . . . :(

But you don't have to have a thigh gap at all to do that.

And you don't have to have a thigh gap for your thighs not to chafe either.
  • quererespoder
    quererespoder Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    i dont get the obsession with thigh gaps either. latin guys dislike super skinny girls and the "ideal" body type is a girl with boobs , an *kitten*, hips and nice legs. not stick thin , everyone hates that. when i was super skinny 2 years ago i had a thigh gap , not as extreme as some of the pics posted here but my friend pointed it out as a flaw, she was like " you have a nice upper body but you have no legs or *kitten*. your legs are so skinny you even have a thigh gap, ew" and now that i weigh like 10 lbs more than i did back then , i barely have it. everyone complements my legs cuz apparently i "have" legs, unlike my best friend who has a thigh gap , guys have told me her legs are way too skinny. i totally love my toned and gorgeous legs right now and i'd be disappointed if they got so skinny my thigh gap became too noticeable again :)
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m24vx9ecz11rnqqxjo1_500.jpg

Yeah, no thigh gap there. And she's in shorts. Proof that not all people with lack of thigh gap start fires, although we think we do. ;)
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I have a big thigh gap- the only place my legs touch when my feet are together are at the calves- and didn't realize how sought after it was (and at the same time found gross) until I joined myfitnesspal. I will say, my husband thinks I look too skinny in jeans because it is so noticable and my muscles are covered up. He prefers me to wear shorts in the summer so that people can see that my legs are muscular in spite of the gap.

If those are your legs, you don't look gross because, as you point out, your legs are muscular and so aren't too thin. I think most people are saying, if you've got it naturally, it's fine and will look ok, it's when people loose too much weight to attain it that it becomes unattractive.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Everyone has a thigh gap when it matters.
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    From what I'm gathering so far:

1. It's genetics, and depends on hip structure. ** Makes sense.**
    2. It may, or may not, be achieved as a 'byproduct' of smart dieting and exercise, but cannot be directly targeted. ** No argument there.**
    2. A loss of inner thigh fat, resulting in less chaffing and clothing destruction. ** I can buy that.**
    3. All the cool girls have one, and I'm so insecure within my own skin, that I need to strive for it to fit in. ** Seek counseling.**
  • deadmittens
    deadmittens Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I don't get the obsession. I think thicker thighs look better! My obsession is a flatter stomach and perkier boobs. :flowerforyou:
  • kazzari
    kazzari Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Can someone explain this to me? With small words? I don't get the obsession with them. MOST of the time they are because someone's got too thin (I'm not talking about the women who have them naturally because of body shape) and I don't understand what is meant to be so sexy about them?

When I was in junior high, we were judged on our posture in PE. Having that gap was 1 of the things we were judged on. A person of healthy weight and good posture will have that gap. In my case, I am not overweight but I am slightly knock-kneed, and that obliterares my gap. So even if one is skinny they may not have that gap. Perception of beauty has a lot to do with symmetry and this maybe why that gap is thought to be so appealing.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    I've started to see a bit of a gap. I think it's a silly goal, personally. But I DO like that I don't have to war leggings with EVERYTHING anymore so my summer dresses don't give me fatty-thigh rash. lol
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I see a woman where I work that has a "thigh gap"... but it looks like she is bow-legged, and she kinda wobbles when she walks.

Um, no thanks.

I know all about the rubbing thighs.. and, I have a thin friend who is a marathon runner (think tall, slim, wears spandex....), who has an issue with rubbing thighs. It's all about hip width, and genetics.
  • silkandsugar
    Options
    Everyone has a thigh gap when it matters.

Lolll maybe my mind is in the gutter but this is hilarious.
  • silkandsugar
    Options
    I wish I could post a picture on here. Mine is very wide but I'm healthy and fit yet weigh about 100 lbs. I need to learn how to use MFP properly!
  • mexy04
    mexy04 Posts: 96
    Options
    Can someone explain this to me? With small words? I don't get the obsession with them. MOST of the time they are because someone's got too thin (I'm not talking about the women who have them naturally because of body shape) and I don't understand what is meant to be so sexy about them?

I know right!! I mean if that is the way someone is shaped cool it does look nice but I think it is mostly a proana mia thing.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    They are unattainable for a good chunk of the population, hence the obsession. To be honest, I'd love to have a thigh gap because it would mean no more painful chafing when I wear a skirt or tights in hot weather, but that's not an aesthetic reason so I think it's a bit different.
  • 911chell
    911chell Posts: 26
    Options
    I guess it depends a bit on the shape of your legs, but I have this when I am in normal weight and I find it sexy. Also when I get fatter it comes together and it chafes - nothing makes me feel less sexy than thigh rub.

I hear what you are saying !!!!! thigh rub just sucks ... I have recently graduated and no longer part of that club and so super excited about it
  • Axels91
    Axels91 Posts: 213
    Options
    no offense to those who have the extra fat up there but try wearing shorts with that. its unattractive and uncomfortable.
This discussion has been closed.