What is the obsession with thigh gaps?

Options

Replies

• LizKurz
    LizKurz Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    The idea being that the less that gets in the way of a chap getting right there and giving a woman a jolly good seeing to, the more it seems as if they have to offer...

LMAO!!
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    It's called "the chive" and its just a sexy looking part of the body. Google it if you don't know what I'm talking about. It's not entirely about your thighs not touching, its about a tiny bit of space or day light between your upper thighs and your crotch. You don't have to be super skinny. Like side boob, feet/toes and other obscure parts of the body, someone will always find something overly attractive.
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    I don't get it at all, and other than that picture of the girl with the bows on her upper legs, none of the pictures look at all attractive to me.

When I was a kid, other kids would make fun of kids with "bow legs". That's all I think about when I see this.

Also when I was pretty young, my mom had an exercise book that was called "Callinetics" or something like that. I vividly remember it saying that you "should" when standing with your feet together, have your legs touch at the ankles, calves, and upper thighs and nowhere else.

I've learned enough to try to ignore anything that tells me what I should look like anymore, but this one snuck in before I was aware. However, I think it is a good measure of healthy and attractive. Much more so than those anorexic looking thinspo pictures. Plus, I'm just about there, so I choose the 3 places legs should touch rather than this weird bow-legged-thigh-gap-thing.
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Its official. Now, in addition to the technical term of "thigh gap," there is also the trendy slang term "chive."

It must be popular to somewhere! I'm guessing another trend instigated and nurtured by European fashion mags.

I'll always stop and think before sprinkling chives on my baked potato from this day forward.

: (
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    this is madness...besides if im checking a girl up and down I'm checking above her "thigh gap"
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I have never even considered having or not having a thigh gap lol....

I guess I have one? When I stand with my feet together, my knees don't touch and neither do my thighs. If I put my knees together, my thighs touch.

I don't get it.
  • rcc1988
    rcc1988 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I think it's partly because having that gap when you stand gives the illusion that your legs are longer, whereas when your thighs are pressed tight together when you stand, they appear shorter.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    coco butter and sensitive skin lotion is the answer to all your prayers, haven't had chaffing in YEARS.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    This is proof that skinny doesn't always equal "thigh gap"

tumblr_lr01rtLCuS1qjagzmo1_400.jpg
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Seeing other people have a "thigh gap" as part of their goals depresses me because I will never ever have a thigh gap. I weighed 110-115 pounds in high school and I was freaking tiny, and I didn't have a thigh gap. I got my big legs from my momma, but guys seem to like 'em.

I would however kill to be able to walk around in a skirt and not get thigh burns during the summer. Alas, this is not my fate.
  • strawberrie_milk
    strawberrie_milk Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I just like how they look!
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    My thighs still rub.Even though I have lost weight. I will rejoice the day they no longer rub! I still have some weight to lose. I like to wear longish exercise shorts, tight ones so when I run I don't chafe and my shorts don't ride up. Very annoying!
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Even when I was a size 2, and down to my lowest weight, I never had one, haha. My hips are too narrow, so by design, I'm not made for that sort of thing. It's cool, I've embraced the holes in my pants that are always happening on the inner thighs. I've also embraced not wearing running shorts, because I spend more time pulling them out of my butt crack due to my thighs rubbing them up there.

Though I have to say, I don't like that people bash it. I have a friend who has natural bowlegs (it's the way she's shaped; my boyfriend has them, as well), and her legs couldn't touch unless she weighed an atrocious amount over her normal. But she has muscle, and she's healthy; she's just got a shape that gives her a gap.

So while people might embrace their lack of thigh gap, don't bash on people who might have it naturally, or say that it's unattractive. While you might not enjoy it because it's not something you have, don't make it sound like the people who do have it are just terrible people because of it. That's just being snarky and rude.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Since I started MFP in January, this has got to be THE STUPIDEST SUBJECT posted !!!! :huh: :noway:

stick around, mate. You clearly ain't seen nothing yet.
  • EBFNP
    EBFNP Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Since I started MFP in January, this has got to be THE STUPIDEST SUBJECT posted !!!! :huh: :noway:

stick around, mate. You clearly ain't seen nothing yet.

Honestly, I've been here since late February, and it just gets worse and worse..lol..Like do people really think about these things?
  • JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I'm not too thin, my legs are the biggest most muscular part of my body...I have one...they are visually appealing to some people just like some people like green eyes etc... I use mine as a gauge if I am too chunky or not.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I've been here since late February, and it just gets worse and worse..lol..Like do people really think about these things?

There's been at least ten topics I've seen with poole asking how to get one. Hence my post.
  • OnceAndFutureAthlete
    OnceAndFutureAthlete Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I just want to be able to [...] not worry about [...] starting a fire!

OK, I LOL'd.
    I SO get what you mean!
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options

There's been at least ten topics I've seen with poole asking how to get one. Hence my post.

I don't think it's a remotely stupid topic. It's a very weird obsession, and people do seem to be very, very concerned about it. It puzzles me too.
  • juliesummers
    juliesummers Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    It's just an aesthetic preference.
    I have it, and I love it. The more I have it, the more I love it. I'm not comfortable wearing shorts without it.

I thought it was just something that specific girls noticed, but a few weeks ago I was hanging out with a group of about 10 guys and somehow thigh gaps came up, and they all started raving about how sexy thigh gaps were. They called them "nirvana gaps" and "square crotch", and a few of them even said it was the number one sexiest thing on a girl. I was shocked, because all my life I'd been told that guys didn't like skinny girls with my body type.

Also --- it's definitely not just a matter of weight. It's body composition and bone structure. If someone's hips are particularly narrow, they could be super skinny but still have their thighs touch. This is not my case -- my hips are wide set enough that I have a thigh gap anywhere within my preferred weight range.
This discussion has been closed.