What is the obsession with thigh gaps?

Options

Replies

• silkandsugar
    Options
    I only discovered this when I started going on Tumblr. The obsession there is CRAZY and I never cared much about mine until then. Since I have gotten healthy and fit my gap has gotten much wider and I do actually like it lol.
  • DonnaRe2012
    DonnaRe2012 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Since I started MFP in January, this has got to be THE STUPIDEST SUBJECT posted !!!! :huh: :noway:
  • Moeincognito
    Options
    I want the gap myself but it's hard to explain ;_; I see so many girls with it and it looks so nice with skirts and shorts I want it.
  • Tasha_uk
    Tasha_uk Posts: 70
    Options
    When my thighs touch and I'm wearing a skirt or dress they chafe and it's so painful, so I have to wear spandex shorts underneath. When I was younger by jeans would get ruined because of the rubbing, so I'd end up with lots of holes in between my legs. So I would prefer to have a gap to prevent this. At my thinnest (140lbs) I had the gap and it was relieving but other than that I don't want a gap just because of appearances. If I was thinner and didn't have it, I don't think I would care much to be honest :P

Thats like me. I have jeans in perfect condition but i cant wear them because i have holes between the legs lmao
  • AthenaErr
    AthenaErr Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    OK although my leg muscles curve in a way that there's a gap when I am in healthy weight range. I dont aspire to this. I aspire to be a healthy weight but i do find it looks great - not the skinny skinny big gap thing, but curvy thigh muscles look sexy IMO.

Over Christmas I wa the heaviest I have ever been and went for a walk on the beach and got back with horrible sore rubbed bit on my inner thighs. It was humiliatingly awful and took ages to heal and I didnt have cycling shorts etc so I spent days using vaseline to try and create more slide....so so so so embarrassed. I swore to myself never again! Maybe if your thighs have always touched the skin is a bit tougher but for me this chafing was a revelation in the awfulness of being overweight.
  • silkandsugar
    Options
    Agreed. I personally have a huge thigh gap but I am definitely not too skinny and I have a legit amount of muscle so it all depends on the frame. My hips are quite wide which make it impossible for me NOT to have a gap unless I weigh like 200 lbs or so.
  • Hoosier_born
    Options
    a thigh gap would be convenient, but I am I not going to obsess over it.

To me, the more important thing is getting in a healthy BMI, toned arms, and less fat.

If ya chafe, do what I do, put on lotion???
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    I have always had a thigh gap-its not from being to thin-its the way I am built.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Since I started MFP in January, this has got to be THE STUPIDEST SUBJECT posted !!!! :huh: :noway:
    That's up against some pretty stiff competition! :bigsmile:
  • hyperkate
    hyperkate Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    When we talk thigh gap do we mean a gap at the very top?
  • lickmybaconcakes
    lickmybaconcakes Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    I don't understand it all.
  • bear_nakey
    bear_nakey Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I just want to be able to wear shorts when I run, or something cute and sexy for my fella and not worry about looking gross or starting a fire! I only want a small natural one though, I am not dieting with a gap as a goal. I am 10lbs away from my goal, and I still don't have one, so odds are not in my favor as of now. . . . :(
  • agriffitts85
    agriffitts85 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    im not too keen on the whole thigh gap thing. i dont want to be able to put my fist between my thighs but if i could walk, run, dance, etc. without them rubbing and causing pain that would be nice. i actually like my thicker thighs. even when i was thin. and i had a thin little body i had toned thick legs. musuclar calves and thick thighs still. in my opinion if the gap is too big it looks gross and kinda boyish....
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I don't understand it all.
    This
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about the gap, but I remember the day I noticed mine were no longer bleeding and chaffing with every step I took. That was a great day! That's all that matters to me!!!

I'm still waiting for that day sadly. I still have to wear bike shorts under my skirts to keep me from getting a nasty rash, chafing, and bloody from the chub rub.

Some women have thigh gaps, and some don't. It's just the way they are built. I think it's often used by anorexics as "thinspiration," but that doesn't mean all women with a thigh gap are emaciated.
  • mamadragon
    mamadragon Posts: 110
    Options
    LOL, my nickname as a baby was thunderthighs.... say anything about my future? YUP! still thunderthighs and then some.. I'm surprised that I didn't start fires with all that rubbing :embarassed: :ohwell:
  • kalynn06
    kalynn06 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Mine don't rub together, so by that definition, I have one due to build. Though, I don't have that gap between my upper thighs when my legs are together. This has never been one of my goals. I agree with someone upthread who said that she just doesn't want them to almost triple in size when sitting. I'd add that I also want them not to get bigger, because it's already annoying enough to find pants that take into account my curvy thighs and relatively small waist.
  • missym357
    missym357 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I have a big thigh gap- the only place my legs touch when my feet are together are at the calves- and didn't realize how sought after it was (and at the same time found gross) until I joined myfitnesspal. I will say, my husband thinks I look too skinny in jeans because it is so noticable and my muscles are covered up. He prefers me to wear shorts in the summer so that people can see that my legs are muscular in spite of the gap.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I have a thigh gap.

When I stand with my feet shoulder width apart.
  • Girlwithnoname77
    Girlwithnoname77 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    lol, never knew of this "obsession" but may add that to one of my goals ... ie, to have a gap! :)
This discussion has been closed.