What is everyones daily calorie goal?

Options

Replies

• SabrinaLily
    SabrinaLily Posts: 121
    Options
    5'6" woman, 167 pounds, 32 years old with a desk job. My daily intake is currently 1200. Once I reach goal, I will increase that number to probably 1400-1800 to maintain.
  • jaymesjourney
    Options
    5'6" woman, 167 pounds, 32 years old with a desk job. My daily intake is currently 1200. Once I reach goal, I will increase that number to probably 1400-1800 to maintain.

have you looked at this website? http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ you want to make sure you are not starving your body!
  • michigreen
    Options
    BMR: 1603
    Daily goal: 750 :D
  • paulperryman
    paulperryman Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    all those calculators don't seem to apply to everyone, i have over the past 9 months tested myself twice with my heart rate monitor for a 24hr period and my TDEE on a non exercise day is alot higher then what all the calculators say it should be, i'm apparently very active when i am seated the majority of the day so this whole time tho it has been working for most of that 9 months, i was setting myself at sedentary/lightly active and eating 1600-2000 calories varying assuming my TDEE was around 2300 when in actual fact my TDEE tested just last week is 2800 for a 24hr period then exercise ontop.

rounding down that would put me in a Moderate-Very Active when as i said my job is a forklift driver i'm sitting for 14hrs+ day 10 of which is at work. Doesn't make sense. Mind you i am overweight still and til i get properly tested i have around 25% body fat.

SO in summary seems i've been undereating and overtraining the whole time :(
  • Qski
    Qski Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I would not think of a forklift driver as sedentary... the extreme example of that is a formula 1 driver - they lose a heap of weight during a race, because of having to stabilise their bodies when driving. What you are doing is not the same as someone sitting in a desk.

You need a high level of concentration not just on something in front of you but peripherally and you also need to stabilise your core while driving. I can (at my desk for example) actually do work in a super slouchy position, without it affecting my work, you can't relax your break foot and you need to steer and you need to (I guess) change into reverse. You have to twist if you don't have mirrors.

So I think that could warrant the extra 500 calories a week for sure.

My BMR is 1668
    TDEE (no exercise) is 2000
    20% Calorie Deficit is 1600 - My Goal is 1650

I have started exercising but currently not doing too much, I will increase my caloric intake when I exercise - ie eat back some of my exercise calories. The last 2 weeks I have lost 1.2kg each week (2.4lbs)
  • SaraAxm
    SaraAxm Posts: 30
    Options
    BMR: 1500
    TDEE (without exercise): 2000

Daily goal: 1750 + exercise calories. Generally land somewhere between 3000 and 4000 calories a day and I'm still losing so all's good ;)
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options

Daily goal: 1750 + exercise calories. Generally land somewhere between 3000 and 4000 calories a day and I'm still losing so all's good ;)

You can lose at 4000 cals per day? What kind of exercise do you do?
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

Says Triathlete on her profile :)
  • BobinNC66
    BobinNC66 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    BMR 2109

Daily Calorie Goal is 1600
  • simplybe13
    simplybe13 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    BMR = 1709

Calorie intake set by MFP = 1200

Am not sure daily intake should be this low.........I'm losing but not sure how I can reduce more when/if I plateau???

Good luck!
  • wild_wild_life
    Options
    BMR = 1709

Calorie intake set by MFP = 1200

Am not sure daily intake should be this low.........I'm losing but not sure how I can reduce more when/if I plateau???

Good luck!

Do you eat more when you exercise? 1200 net might be OK (looks like you are trying to lose around 100lbs per your ticker) but 1200 total probably isn't enough if you're exercising.
  • wild_wild_life
    Options

Yeah but . . . unless she is doing an ironman every day, burning 2000 cals in exercise is a lot. I'm not doubting it, just curious.
  • CindyArlene
    CindyArlene Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    BMR = 2263
    Daily Goal = 1740

I end up under the goal on most days though, often by about 400-500
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    BMR: 1375
    TDEE: 2300
    Goal: 2100

I've included my exercise in my TDEE calculation, so I eat the same amount daily and I don't have to worry about tracking how much I burn each day. This is my fave TDEE calculator: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

Also, I think a lot of people may be confused re BMR vs TDEE, or they're eating a VLCD - difficult to sustain longterm without yo-yoing back up. (BMR is your base calorie level to stay alive, TDEE is the total calories burned in a day and includes your BMR.)

basal metabolic rate (BMR)
    The rate at which energy is used by an organism at complete rest, measured in humans by the heat given off per unit time, and expressed as the calories released per kilogram of body weight or per square meter of body surface per hour.

total daily energy expenditure (TDEE)
    Total daily caloric expenditure, consisting of basal metabolic rate, diet-induced thermogenesis, and energy expenditure for physical activity; in the clinical setting, TDEE can be estimated by calculation or measured by indirect calorimetry.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options

Yeah but . . . unless she is doing an ironman every day, burning 2000 cals in exercise is a lot. I'm not doubting it, just curious.

A triathlete will have a body that's pretty efficient at burning calories all day, everyday. (Especially if they're training regularly, which you have to assume they are.)
  • Lisa4750
    Options
    Hi 'PlasticPsycho', I'm also on such a low calorie goal (1200) and I'm feeling weak since I eat so few calories. So do you eat more, and then because of eating more, exercise everyday to get to your netto calorie goal?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    all those calculators don't seem to apply to everyone, i have over the past 9 months tested myself twice with my heart rate monitor for a 24hr period and my TDEE on a non exercise day is alot higher then what all the calculators say it should be, i'm apparently very active when i am seated the majority of the day so this whole time tho it has been working for most of that 9 months, i was setting myself at sedentary/lightly active and eating 1600-2000 calories varying assuming my TDEE was around 2300 when in actual fact my TDEE tested just last week is 2800 for a 24hr period then exercise ontop.

rounding down that would put me in a Moderate-Very Active when as i said my job is a forklift driver i'm sitting for 14hrs+ day 10 of which is at work. Doesn't make sense. Mind you i am overweight still and til i get properly tested i have around 25% body fat.

SO in summary seems i've been undereating and overtraining the whole time :(

Sadly your use of the tool is incorrect and you got bad values.

HRM formula for estimating calorie burn based on HR is totally based on exercise level activity in aerobic range of 90 - 160/170.
    Not anaerobic lifting or sprints, and not daily activity below exercise.

You got inflated figures.
  • heybales
    Options

2 hrs at decent training rate is easily 2000 calories.

Per VO2 test, if I keep my HR slightly above mid-aerobic HR zone for an hour, 1000 calories. And that's an easy workout. I could do that 2 x daily if I had the time.

Just as people claim MFP grossly exaggerates calories burns, the majority with their cheap Polars I know are getting badly under-estimated calorie burns.
  • heybales
    Options
    Hi 'PlasticPsycho', I'm also on such a low calorie goal (1200) and I'm feeling weak since I eat so few calories. So do you eat more, and then because of eating more, exercise everyday to get to your netto calorie goal?

You do eat more.

I'm betting you selected 2 lb weekly loss goal, young and want to do it fast, right.
    But with so little to lose, you feel like losing muscle mass, so you can start a lifetime of yo-yo dieting? Ask many women on MFP how their lives have been wasting it away hating their relationship with food because they diet ever year or two, and put weight on faster and easier each time, harder to lose each time.

That is really unrealistic and bad results. You should be at the lowest goal weekly loss, really.

And if you exercise, you do eat more. Ever noticed that when you log exercise and the calories burned, your daily goal goes up?

A goal is something to reach, not to try to stay well under.

If you didn't care about getting within 10% of daily calorie goal, then are you within 10% of your goal weight? Why not stop trying to lose weight then?

Take your sign of being weak seriously. Also notice if your hair has stopped growing as fast yet, or you get cold easier, or nails growing slower.
    That's your body slowing down higher level functions to try to provide them for more required functions of life.
  • heybales
    Options
    BMR = 2263
    Daily Goal = 1740

I end up under the goal on most days though, often by about 400-500

Wow, so you miss your goal by 25%, that's extreme.

Are you willing to stop trying to lose weight when you get within 25% of goal weight?

Why not?