What is everyones daily calorie goal?

Options

Replies

• pineapple1989
    pineapple1989 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    BMR - 1952

Calorie Goal - 1450 to lose 2 pounds a week

I am nearly always under my goal but if my net is too low from a lot of exercise I usually have some chocolate to get rid of the cravings and keep my calorie intake at a healthy level.
  • egiakatt
    egiakatt Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    bump
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I'm not really strict about it. All I really do is pay attention to portion sizes. If I had to guess, I'd say I consume 1200-1800 calories per day.
  • Marge321
    Marge321 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    BMR: 1685
    Goal: 1200 with exercice, so taking about 1500 calories/day
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    My BMR according to MFP is 1772.
    MFP has also set my intake to 1330.

Okay, so I am a bit confused....are we supposed to be eating MORE than our BMR or less....for weight loss?

You are supposed to eat at least your BMR. How much did you set yourselve to lose at in MFP per week?
  • Kendralatricewilliams
    Options
    goal : 1503 but i rarely ever make it to it
  • purple_orchid
    purple_orchid Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I just wonder how all you people with under 1400 calorie intake per day are not always hungry??? What are you eating?
    I have set my calories to 1400 per day and I find it really hard to stay under.
  • trysha1231
    trysha1231 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    bump
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I just wonder how all you people with under 1400 calorie intake per day are not always hungry??? What are you eating?
    I have set my calories to 1400 per day and I find it really hard to stay under.

Loading up on hearty veggies or fat makes me feel really full without sacrificing lots of calories. Plus I drink tons of water. IDK, maybe I'm just lucky.
  • HelloHayleyKC
    Options
    I'm a bit confused on the reason why I should be eating at least 2,050 calories a day to loose weight when I'm a 5'8"/288lb female. (FYI... my TDEE is approx. 2800) I'll be doing a little bit more research on this to try and understand where I should be, but I also might go seek professional advice from a nutrionist/doctor.

And also I saw someone asking about how you can not be hungry eating under 1400 calories a day. I find it rather easy actually! I eat a LOT of protein and fiber, and that seems to nip any huger problems I would maybe have. Does anyone else experience this as well?
  • estelle74uk
    estelle74uk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Mine says 1128?? :(
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit confused on the reason why I should be eating at least 2,050 calories a day to loose weight when I'm a 5'8"/288lb female. (FYI... my TDEE is approx. 2800) I'll be doing a little bit more research on this to try and understand where I should be, but I also might go seek professional advice from a nutrionist/doctor.

And also I saw someone asking about how you can not be hungry eating under 1400 calories a day. I find it rather easy actually! I eat a LOT of protein and fiber, and that seems to nip any huger problems I would maybe have. Does anyone else experience this as well?

If your TDEE is 2800, eating at 2,050 give you a 750 calorie defict = 1.5 lb a week. Ths is considered a healthy weight loss for the amount you have to lose. I would suggest seeing a RD (Registered Dietician) rather than a doctor - as doctors are nototiously bad at advising on diets and RDs are more regulated than nutritionists.

Good luck.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I can't remember my BMR. But, I don't really have a daily calorie goal. I use hunger as my guide. I average around 1600-1800 calories, I think. But day to day it varies anywhere from 1100 - 2100.
  • bigaggie06
    Options
    MFP has my BMR at 2,737 (27, Male, 387lbs, 5'10")

I am trying to keep my intake to 2000 regardless of exercise
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options

If your TDEE is 2800, then assuming our bodies working like calculators, you would need a 500 cal a day deficit to lose 1lb a week, or a 1000 cal defict for 2lb a week.

But our bodies are not just machines, and there is a lot more to take into account than just calorie deficits.

Everything I have reasearch suggests that the optimum deficit for fat loss is 20%. The best success stories I have seen on here are from people with moderate deficts, not aggressive.

If you are are eating 1400, then your defict is actually 50% which is considered very aggressive and not recommended.
    http://www.acaloriecounter.com/diet/calorie-deficit-to-lose-weight/

Also, If you think you can't lose weight on that many calories have a look here - these women are awesome :)
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/531086-before-and-after-pics-no-starvation?
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/506349-women-who-eat-more-than-1800-calories-a-day?

Good Luck
  • HelloHayleyKC
    Options
    If your TDEE is 2800, eating at 2,050 give you a 750 calorie defict = 1.5 lb a week. Ths is considered a healthy weight loss for the amount you have to lose. I would suggest seeing a RD (Registered Dietician) rather than a doctor - as doctors are nototiously bad at advising on diets and RDs are more regulated than nutritionists.

Good luck.

I'll check out an RD! Definetly was not going to see a doctor, as their advice in the past has been a big let down. Most have just said "Eat less, Work out more". :huh: So thank you for the advice! And explaining the TDEE/BMR thing a bit more clearly in terms of gradual weight loss.
    If your TDEE is 2800, then assuming our bodies working like calculators, you would need a 500 cal a day deficit to lose 1lb a week, or a 1000 cal defict for 2lb a week.

But our bodies are not just machines, and there is a lot more to take into account than just calorie deficits.

Everything I have reasearch suggests that the optimum deficit for fat loss is 20%. The best success stories I have seen on here are from people with moderate deficts, not aggressive.

If you are are eating 1400, then your defict is actually 50% which is considered very aggressive and not recommended.
    http://www.acaloriecounter.com/diet/calorie-deficit-to-lose-weight/

Also, If you think you can't lose weight on that many calories have a look here - these women are awesome :)
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/531086-before-and-after-pics-no-starvation?
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/506349-women-who-eat-more-than-1800-calories-a-day?

Good Luck

I'll be very honest in that I am not very knowledgeable about nutrion and health. Which is why I came here to the forums and am seeking professional advice. So I guess my mind is just so set on 'Cut calories based on the average amount!'. Thank you for explaining TDEE in the amount of percentages cause honestly it's making more sense now. And thank you for the links! Seeing proof for my own eyes really helps change my stubborn mindset.
  • adamb83
    adamb83 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    What in the world.... why are so many people eating below their BMR?

If you're exercing and, you know, living, you really REALLY need to be eating more than your BMR.

BMR = The calories your body needs to survive just lying there doing absolutely nothing.
  • trysha1231
    trysha1231 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    BMR = 1349
    TDEE LIght Active = 1854
    Moderately Active= 2090

I have a goal to NOT NET below my BMR.
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    What in the world.... why are so many people eating below their BMR?

If you're exercing and, you know, living, you really REALLY need to be eating more than your BMR.

BMR = The calories your body needs to survive just lying there doing absolutely nothing.
    Probably because MFP lets them and doesn't warn or anything... It really should calculate out BMR and issue an informative warning, if nothing else, for when people are shooting so high as to eat below their it.

I'm giving everyone the benefit of the doubt, here... I *hope* nobody would knowingly, purposely, strive to net below their BMR...
  • Squeezie88
    Squeezie88 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    BMR: 1531
    Goal: 1440

but I usually eat around 1500-1650 with exercise