Helloitsdan Fans. I have a question

Options

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Wait, what? This says I should be eating 2700 calories per day? That seems bonkers!

I am eating 2,000 and I am female, older and probably shorter than you (all meaning that my starting point is lower than yours) - plus I am not very active (weight training 3x per week with minimal cardio and a desk job) . I am losing weight at this goal.
  • adamb83
    adamb83 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Okay - is this for very slow weight loss, though?

MFP projects I'll only lose 1.7 pounds in 5 weeks if I'm eating this many calories (burning about 300 calories from exercise, 6 days per week)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

MFP projects I'll only lose 1.7 pounds in 5 weeks if I'm eating this many calories (burning about 300 calories from exercise, 6 days per week)

You should ignore MFP projected loss - this does not include exercise so it will assume your are eating 2700 at a sedentary level.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options

That would be fast weight loss too. Also, fast weight loss generally means muscle loss too which means more plateau's, a slower metabolism, etc.. And MFP is just a tool, not an exact science. As you approach your goal, you will be losing 1/2 - 1 lb per week and nothing more.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options

I eat 1600 calories based on Dan's numbers.

MFP tells me I will lose 0.2 lbs.

I lose 1-3 lbs every week and have maintained my lean mass.
  • mjn18
    mjn18 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

That would be fast weight loss too. Also, fast weight loss generally means muscle loss too which means more plateau's, a slower metabolism, etc.. And MFP is just a tool, not an exact science. As you approach your goal, you will be losing 1/2 - 1 lb per week and nothing more.

I think he was saying 1.7 in 5 weeks - i.e. 0.34lb a week
  • lorierin22
    lorierin22 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I log all of my exercise in MFP. I "know" how many calories I am alloted in my day...I don't pay any attention to how many calories MFP tells me I have left. I just look at how many I have many food calories I have actually used in a day and subtract this from the number I know I am allowed to eat. The reason I do this is because I like to use the NET calorie function on MFP. If my net calories are below my BMR then I know I will need to eat additional calories to get up to that number for the day. This is the only reason you would need to eat back exercise calories on this plan. (This usuallly happens if you are VERY heavy on the cardio and have not caluclated enough in at the beginning of the equation).
  • Tigermad
    Tigermad Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I have been following this plan since Wednesday. I am not using the tdee including exercise. Instead I am eating just above my bmr and eating any exercise calories back. Personally I don't like the idea of spreading the exercise calories out over the week so you eat the same amount every day. What happens if you fall ill or something and you are unable to do your allotted exercise. You would then be I trouble because you had already eaten for them earlier in the week.

I don't know if my way will work but it is way too early for me to tell yet. Fit to fat radio said you shouldn't do what I am doing because you will just put the fat back you burnt off at the gym for that day. I don't see what the problem is to be honest. At the end of the week it will still be the same calories except my method is safer.
  • nermal6873
    nermal6873 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Guess I'm giving this method a try! Here's hoping it works for me! So I just need to follow the recomendation mady by F2F radio and the only time I would "eat back" exercise is if it drops me below my BMR (which it shouldn't, since exercise is already built in)? Amazing how much more that looks like even though the net calories should be similar to MFP!
  • Minnie_Moo
    Minnie_Moo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I had my numbers figured out by one of Helloitsdan's group and set the mfp to the amount I was told. I was getting confused after reading other posts about to add or not add the exercise since I thought the numbers figured out included exercise, so I posted and asked if I am suppose to log my exercise ?

I was told that I can log my exercise in mfp with the calories burned (using my hrm) and to always net 200-300 calories above BMR.

I still don't think I am doing something right but maybe someone can answer once and for all what we need to do.....I'm getting nervous as the scale shows I gained 2 pounds :noway: but I haven't taken measurements yet......
    Generally if Dan runs your numbers, he includes your exercise into your TDEE so you would NOT eat them back. And you don't necessarily need to look at net calories. In fact, I don't even log my exercise as my exercise is in my TDEE and I haven't lose a single lb of lean body mass yet since I joined this site.

OK.....so the numbers that were run for me were and I was told the following:
    BMR = 1343
    TDEE = 2082
    Lean Body Mass = 99.1 lbs

Set MFP to = 1665 (This is 20% below your maintenance or TDEE of 2082) I would suggest setting your carbs/proteins/fat to 40/30/30, as well.

So I should forget the 200-300 net number (1643) that I was told after the numbers were run and set my mfp to 1665 and not eat back my calories and do not log the calories burned (zero out the calorie number if logging exercise on mfp) - is that now correct ? HELP !!!
    :sad:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I have been following this plan since Wednesday. I am not using the tdee including exercise. Instead I am eating just above my bmr and eating any exercise calories back. Personally I don't like the idea of spreading the exercise calories out over the week so you eat the same amount every day. What happens if you fall ill or something and you are unable to do your allotted exercise. You would then be I trouble because you had already eaten for them earlier in the week.

I don't know if my way will work but it is way too early for me to tell yet. Fit to fat radio said you shouldn't do what I am doing because you will just put the fat back you burnt off at the gym for that day. I don't see what the problem is to be honest. At the end of the week it will still be the same calories except my method is safer.

If you are at your BMR you are too low - if you want to log and 'eat back' your calories, use the sedentary number in the table.
  • amculver1
    amculver1 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Minnie_Moo
    Minnie_Moo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    FYI--you CAN log your exercise as "0" calories, instead of 1...if you're as nit-picky as I am and don't want MFP adding back ANY calories. LOL!

I tried changing my calories to 0 but it doesn't take it ? it will take 1 calorie but not 0 ??
  • lorierin22
    lorierin22 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Guess I'm giving this method a try! Here's hoping it works for me! So I just need to follow the recomendation mady by F2F radio and the only time I would "eat back" exercise is if it drops me below my BMR (which it shouldn't, since exercise is already built in)? Amazing how much more that looks like even though the net calories should be similar to MFP!

You are correct...and it does "look" like more, but it really isn't. It's just a different way of looking at things. I like it better because I get to eat an acceptable number of calories EVERYDAY, instead of starving on days I don't work out and trying to find more and more food to cram down my throat the days I work out hard. I like the balance it affords, but it's really not that much different than MFP in the long run. :)
  • Tigermad
    Tigermad Posts: 305 Member
    Options

If you are at your BMR you are too low - if you want to log and 'eat back' your calories, use the sedentary number in the table.

Hello I am eating about 50 cals above bmr. My sedentary setting is 200 calories more than my bmr around 1605. Surely that's too high for a base when my tdee is only 1707 without exercise? I know my weight loss will slower now but I would barely lose 0.75 lbs a month!
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    So... this leads to another question.

I changed my daily calories to 2040. I have "unlinked" my FitBit so it won't blow in those calories.

What else do I need to do to make sure 2040 is it and MFP isn't adding anything else in there? Any other settings to change?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Hello I am eating about 50 cals above bmr. My sedentary setting is 200 calories more than my bmr around 1605. Surely that's too high for a base when my tdee is only 1707 without exercise? I know my weight loss will slower now but I would barely lose 0.75 lbs a month!

Where are you getting the TDEE from? f it is the fit2fat site - the 1707 is your TDEE LESS a deficit - the deficit is built in. Your TDEE will be higher than 1707.
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    So... this leads to another question.

I changed my daily calories to 2040. I have "unlinked" my FitBit so it won't blow in those calories.

What else do I need to do to make sure 2040 is it and MFP isn't adding anything else in there? Any other settings to change?

You should look at changing your macros. MFP has very low settings for protein and fat - I would suggest you change it to 40% carbs, 30% each fat and protein.