Helloitsdan Fans. I have a question

Options

Replies

• adamb83
    adamb83 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Will Dan run anyone's numbers and give that kind of specific/individualized feedback? If so, how do we contact him? :)
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    So... this leads to another question.

I changed my daily calories to 2040. I have "unlinked" my FitBit so it won't blow in those calories.

What else do I need to do to make sure 2040 is it and MFP isn't adding anything else in there? Any other settings to change?

This may be a daft question, but if you are using a FitBit you know your Exact TDEE and don't need to use any of the online calculators/spreadsheets.

your fitbit can give you the average daily expenditure for the past 2 weeks, so why not just deduct 20% from that?
  • Tigermad
    Tigermad Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I have been following this plan since Wednesday. I am not using the tdee including exercise. Instead I am eating just above my bmr and eating any exercise calories back. Personally I don't like the idea of spreading the exercise calories out over the week so you eat the same amount every day. What happens if you fall ill or something and you are unable to do your allotted exercise. You would then be I trouble because you had already eaten for them earlier in the week.

I don't know if my way will work but it is way too early for me to tell yet. Fit to fat radio said you shouldn't do what I am doing because you will just put the fat back you burnt off at the gym for that day. I don't see what the problem is to be honest. At the end of the week it will still be the same calories except my method is safer.

If you are at your BMR you are too low - if you want to log and 'eat back' your calories, use the sedentary number in the table.

Hello I am eating about 50 cals above bmr. My sedentary setting is 200 calories more than my bmr around 1605. Surely that's too high for a base when my tdee is only 1707 without exercise? I know my weight loss will slower now but I would barely lose 0.75 lbs a month!

Where are you getting the TDEE from? f it is the fit2fat site - the 1707 is your TDEE LESS a deficit - the deficit is built in. Your TDEE will be higher than 1707.

The TDEE is an average from various sites. This is the tdee sedentary option so no exercise is taken into account. So my maintenance level if I wanted to stay the same now without exercising is 1707. That's why I thought the 1605 is not mucn deficit to continue to lose weight, albeit small amounts.
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Wait, what? This says I should be eating 2700 calories per day? That seems bonkers!

I eat 2800 calories a day, I am 5'11, 200 lbs and a 30 year old guy. It's not that crazy, especially if you exercise a lot.

I eat up to 2800 (range from 2000-2800 depending on my workouts, my average intake is around 2300/day) and I'm a 5'5", 121.5lb female.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I have been following this plan since Wednesday. I am not using the tdee including exercise. Instead I am eating just above my bmr and eating any exercise calories back. Personally I don't like the idea of spreading the exercise calories out over the week so you eat the same amount every day. What happens if you fall ill or something and you are unable to do your allotted exercise. You would then be I trouble because you had already eaten for them earlier in the week.

I don't know if my way will work but it is way too early for me to tell yet. Fit to fat radio said you shouldn't do what I am doing because you will just put the fat back you burnt off at the gym for that day. I don't see what the problem is to be honest. At the end of the week it will still be the same calories except my method is safer.

If you are at your BMR you are too low - if you want to log and 'eat back' your calories, use the sedentary number in the table.

Hello I am eating about 50 cals above bmr. My sedentary setting is 200 calories more than my bmr around 1605. Surely that's too high for a base when my tdee is only 1707 without exercise? I know my weight loss will slower now but I would barely lose 0.75 lbs a month!

Where are you getting the TDEE from? f it is the fit2fat site - the 1707 is your TDEE LESS a deficit - the deficit is built in. Your TDEE will be higher than 1707.

The TDEE is an average from various sites. This is the tdee sedentary option so no exercise is taken into account. So my maintenance level if I wanted to stay the same now without exercising is 1707. That's why I thought the 1605 is not mucn deficit to continue to lose weight, albeit small amounts.

Start adding your exercise into the TDEE. It's a much easier approach and you will more likely force yourself to workout.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Wait, what? This says I should be eating 2700 calories per day? That seems bonkers!

I eat 2800 calories a day, I am 5'11, 200 lbs and a 30 year old guy. It's not that crazy, especially if you exercise a lot.

I eat up to 2800 (range from 2000-2800 depending on my workouts, my average intake is around 2300/day) and I'm a 5'5", 121.5lb female.

God Dang! I bow down to you!

One last thing, everyone STOP complicating things! Make it simple on yourself and add exercise in your TDEE and then just cut 20%. I know some say netting below your BMR will cause a reduction your metabolic rate, but front the studies I have seen, it can be mitigated by weight training and adequate protein. I have never worried about NET calories, nor have I worried about it with the 100+ people I have helped and ZERO people of that 100+ have decreased their metabolic rates from those who gave me updated stats.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    OK, I just get more and more confused here. So if my fitbit says my average daily burn over the past fortnight is 2050 then to lose 0.5lb a week I should eat 1800?

I have MFP at sedentary with 1360 for my net calories (BMR 1290, TDEE 1600 ish) and am currently eating my fitbit adjustments.

Over the past three months I have tried:
    1360 plus exercercise calories (from HRM) = no loss over a month
    1500 plus exercise calories from HRM (attempt to eat more) = no loss over a month
    1360 plus fitbit calories over a fortnight = no loss so far

I'm starting to think a big part is what I eat and not just the calories (daily alcohol and chocolate)
  • psuLemon
    Options
    OK, I just get more and more confused here. So if my fitbit says my average daily burn over the past fortnight is 2050 then to lose 0.5lb a week I should eat 1800?

I have MFP at sedentary with 1360 for my net calories (BMR 1290, TDEE 1600 ish) and am currently eating my fitbit adjustments.

Over the past three months I have tried:
    1360 plus exercercise calories (from HRM) = no loss over a month
    1500 plus exercise calories from HRM (attempt to eat more) = no loss over a month
    1360 plus fitbit calories over a fortnight = no loss so far

I'm starting to think a big part is what I eat and not just the calories (daily alcohol and chocolate)

You should be eating about 1650 calories a day. That is total and not net. Also, alcohol has been proven to slow your metabolism so eliminating that might help.
  • Angellore
    Angellore Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Bumping this for tomorrow when I can have a good look at this on my pc.
  • juliekaiser1988
    Options
    I'm thinking of setting my numbers at working out 1-3 days a week, instead of 3-5. I do some exercise 5 days a week, but not always a "great burn". Like yesterday, I just went for a brisk 1.4 mile walk around the lake. I wouldn't call that a big burn day, but it's something. I would just hate to consider that a "workout" and set it at 3-5 days and it really isn't enough to count. I think my FitBit says I only burned like 150 calories during that walk.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Thanks Psulemon. I'll have to try it. I just worry about not having the extra calories to eat showing up, it is that number that motivates me to exercise, if that makes sense.
  • juliekaiser1988
    Options
    So... this leads to another question.

I changed my daily calories to 2040. I have "unlinked" my FitBit so it won't blow in those calories.

What else do I need to do to make sure 2040 is it and MFP isn't adding anything else in there? Any other settings to change?

This may be a daft question, but if you are using a FitBit you know your Exact TDEE and don't need to use any of the online calculators/spreadsheets.

your fitbit can give you the average daily expenditure for the past 2 weeks, so why not just deduct 20% from that?

WOW. I haven't used my FitBit to all of it's extent. I use it to track calories for a specific workout, and my sleep. Hadn't investigated using it for this ratio. I learn something new every day. I am definitely a work in progess :)
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options

I work out a lot....lifting heavy weights and also in training for a marathon. I can out-eat my husband any day of the week, though. :)
  • rmk20togo
    rmk20togo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Blows my whole "Oh goodie! What did I burn- what can I eat!!" theory right to heck! LOL

Oh, but it's sweet on rest days!!!
  • psuLemon
    Options

I work out a lot....lifting heavy weights and also in training for a marathon. I can out-eat my husband any day of the week, though. :)

Makes sense. I just do P90X2 so only burn about 650 calories per workout.
  • jldaley09
    jldaley09 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    bumping for later because all of this is like a new language to me and now i'm interested.. How do you get your numbers calculated for you?
  • jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • vguynes
    vguynes Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Bump for later.
  • annalistic
    annalistic Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    bump