What do you think is the biggest misconception about where y

Options

Replies

• penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    People presume I live in an igloo and am essentially American.

Neither is true.

Canadians are not Americans.
    Despite living in the 'extreme north', I have never even seen an igloo.

Well, technically you live in North America, so you are American. :wink:

PSSSSHHHT. Technicalities... Why on earth did you have to be the United States of America! Way to make the entire continent yours anyway. :P

Because it's the United States of the continent of America (implies geographic LOCATION OF these United States, not POSSESSION of the continent BY these United States).

Oh, I know... but no one calls it the United States... people call your country; America... which then leads to your people being called Americans which then leads to confusion when people try to insist that Canadians are just Americans. Well, if you mean North Americans yes... if you mean members of the United States of America... no.

PS: When I talk about 'people' saying Canadians are just Americans (as in the United States of America, Americans... in case there is still confusion) I'm actually talking about my fellow Canadians. National pride? The Canadians I know have none. ):
  • xxslvrxwngsxx
    xxslvrxwngsxx Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    People think that bcause I am from Maine that I am a lumberjack or loberman LOL (they may be half right) but mostly (and this is the sad part) people think that Maine is a part of Massachusettes LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • brendaj39
    brendaj39 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    from Minnesota and everytime we go down south everyone makes fun of our accents and asks how cold it is...we do warm up here sometimes...and we don't have accents...haha
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Well being from Canada, everyone thinks we're super polite and that we say "eh" a lot. The sad thing is that it's kind of true. I've literally caught myself apologizing to inanimate objects that I've walked into on multiple occasions.
    Oh my goodness, I say sorry so much! Sometimes instead of 'hello', a 'sorry' will pop out, for no reason at all!

So sorry to be in your presence! OH! You just hit me with your grocery cart, I'm sorry! SO SORRY! Oh man... your till isn't working, I'm sorry. You wrote my name wrong, sorry about that, eh?
  • Crazy4Healthy
    Crazy4Healthy Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    From Wisconsin and everyone assumes all we have is cornfields and cows...there's much much more to this state and very beautiful. Lots of lakes, forests, hills and mountains too...but nature here is wonderful...love it.

Me too!! Why is it every time they show someone from WI on TV, they pick someone with no teeth. We're not all like that, really. :laugh:
  • ravenclawseekergirl
    ravenclawseekergirl Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Being from the North East of England, i get northern jokes, jokes about England. (I have a proper South Yorkshire/Hartlepool hybrid accent not a posh southern one). Jokes about being from Yorkshire, no i don't have a sheep farm or a flat cap nor a sheep dog...
    Having family from Hartlepool there's the monkey hanging thing, I could go on and on here...
  • sz8soon
    sz8soon Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    RAIN!!

Seattle gets 38 inches/year and the US average is 37. How is that so rainy?

Additionally:
    Where I work - Sequim (zip 98382), WA, gets 17 inches/year
    Where I live - Port Angeles (zip 98362), WA, gets 25 inches/year

And that doesn't even consider all those folks in eastern Washington who get to hear the rain stereotypes in a region that varies from dry pine forests to desert to grain land.

I used to live in Eastern WA (the Tri-Cities) and rain was a rumor to us....

I love this conversation I get when travelling:

Them: Where are you from?
    Me: Washington
    Them: OH- DC...
    Me: No, Washington State

This whole thread cracks me up! People are just so ignorant!
  • ChristineMarie89
    ChristineMarie89 Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    What is the biggest misconception about where you are from?

Being born and raised an Okie, a lot of people outside of here assume I am some ignorant, bible thumpin, gun tote'n, red neck and I just can't undersand where that comes from as I have never thumped a bible in my life. :bigsmile:

However, I don't worry about it because once most people come here they learn we are some of the nicest people around. Oh, and they also learn we don't all own horses and wear cowboy boots and hats.
    imma okie too and i get the same thing lol that and hillbilly lol although im not lol i do have the southern accent but sheesh im no redneck hillbilly hick lol
  • texasyarngirl
    Options
    This thread is hilarious.

My family is from Northern Indiana / Greater Chicago, but I've lived in Houston for 31 years. So, while I consider myself a Texas, and at the very least a southerner - Native Texas call me a "yankee". And my friends at home thought we talked funny. But, family from "up north" make fun of my drawl.

I actually had someone in CA ask me, three weeks ago, if there were "a lot of cowboys and horses" around in Houston. My response was - "I live in the 4th largest city in the US. We're pretty modern and urban." (Political views notwithstanding depending on your persuasion.) Most assume I am a gun toting, big-SUV-drivin', uber-religous, right-right-wing conservative - I am not.

As a Longhorn I admit to stereotyping Aggies and Sooners - sorry y'all :-) And welcome all T-sip jokes - cause I think they are funny. I only hate Aggies and Sooners on game day. Aggies especially are so fun to tease when they lose in football. But, really - whatever, it's just the rivalry that's fun.
  • arcticbutterfly
    arcticbutterfly Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I am from Alaska, Yes really and no I don't live in a igloo DUH! lol
  • k80fox
    k80fox Posts: 92
    Options
    I was born and raised in Hawaii and people seem to think we all live in grass huts, dance hula and surf. I remember when I was in middle school we had pen pals from California and my pen pal asked me these very questions! I have never surfed, couldn't dance hula to save my life and have only seen a grass hut at our local museum.
  • mtneerjk81
    mtneerjk81 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'm originally from Pittsburgh. I don't know of any stereotypes, but many people laugh at the unique terminology that people around there use - often referred to as "Pittsburgh-eese". Some common ones with their actual meaning are...

Yinz (you all)
    red up (clean)
    dahntahn (downtown)
    warsh (wash)
    hoagie (sub sandwich)
  • kimr41
    kimr41 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Big, wonderful, open space of Wyoming! We do travel by automobile though, not wagons.
  • sarita66
    sarita66 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Even though I am from Boston I lived in Mississippi for a brief time and Loved it! I met some of the nicest people on earth. I changed their opinion that people from Boston could actually be friendly. Before arriving in MS I thought that the south was hotter than the shades of hell, no one had running water and they had bugs the size of footballs. 2 out of three was not bad, I learned that people had running water in their homes. :wink:
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I'm from Long Island. The misconceptions about us are ENDLESS.
  • theroadto100
    theroadto100 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Connecticut... rich, snobby, upper class, preppy white kids.
  • SouthernCountryGirl
    SouthernCountryGirl Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I'm from Lousiana, and apparently all we know how to do is 'gators' lol. We are looked at like hillbilly's and dumb as well. Of course it doesn't help to have shows on TV representing us as such. We are a very loving state, very family oriented. I love my state, but hate the wrap we get. And PLEASE don't watch Bayou Billionaires and think we are all like that! This is a disclaimer~~WE ARE NOT!. Now the 'Redneck Hillbilly' show is (sigh) kind of close to what we do around here lol!! We do like our mud and we love our beer. And our deer. And fish. And just about any other animal that is edible.
  • bugbeenz
    bugbeenz Posts: 31
    Options
    I'm from New Zealand - sheep shaggers anyone :laugh:
  • gmctech
    gmctech Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Well being from Nova Scotia, Canada, it grinds my gears the way people from all over think we are ALL a bunch of push overs, and we all drink Alender Keith's beer... Don't get me wrong... I'm a well mannered, polite man, but if you wrong me or insult me, trust me; you'll be the first to know, and it won't be pretty... And i DO NOT drink that horrible skunk p*ss Keith's! I drink many things but that's not even allowed in my house LoL... So that being said... Good day eh! LoL
  • linda768
    linda768 Posts: 22
    Options
    I'm from Iowa. Yes, it is a real state. No, we aren't all farmers. We do have cities (even if they don't compare to LA, Chicago, or NYC.) Yes, I own a car. And, lastly, the quote from "Field of Dreams" is just stupid.