What do you think is the biggest misconception about where y

Options

Replies

• katielauren2001
    katielauren2001 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I'm from Scotland and people have the biggest and some of the most ridiculous stereotypes about Scottish people. That we are a "backward country" Scotland has lots of famous inventors! That we wear kilts all the time = not true, how we speak, look etc is all one big stereotype.
  • RunChinni
    RunChinni Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I'm from India...and i get tired of people amazed that i can speak English and that i didnt play with tigers and snakes while growing up and that i have an actual toilet inside my house!

and NO there is no such thing as eyeball soup in India!!!

^This.

I often get asked why I have a British accent and don't sound like Apu from The Simpsons. I don't know whether to laugh or to be offended. And no, I don't have cows or elephants as pets.
  • SurfinBird1981
    SurfinBird1981 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I'm from England and I have NICE STRAIGHT TEETH!!!! lol

I live in Taiwan now, dunno if there are any preconceptions about this place....
  • cannonsky
    cannonsky Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Slightly off topic... but can someone point out to me what an east coast accent it. I'm living on the west coast now and was told I have an accent... first time ever.

Side note- by east coast accent i do not mean new york or boston
  • peprwpr
    peprwpr Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Im always running into that as an Okie.............cowboys & indians. We really do live in houses, drive cars, and I have never been attached by a bunch of indians in my life.
    Although, I will say, the town I live in, has a population of 76, and the closest quick shop is 10miles away. The only thing we have here is a post office & a grain elevator. Come harvest time, this town will be hoppin' though............
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    umm, I'm from jersey. nuff said.

Jersey-Shore.jpg
  • Jersey_Devil
    Options
    Slightly off topic... but can someone point out to me what an east coast accent it. I'm living on the west coast now and was told I have an accent... first time ever.

Side note- by east coast accent i do not mean new york or boston

there are soooo many different types of east coast accents.
  • deeharley
    deeharley Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I'm from Alaska - and we ARE part of the United States, and despite what the map on the wall in your third grade classroom showed, we ARE NOT an island.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Options
    I'm from Alaska - and we ARE part of the United States, and despite what the map on the wall in your third grade classroom showed, we ARE NOT an island.

but you can see Russia from your kitchen window, right? :wink:
  • munchkinhugs
    munchkinhugs Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Western Sydney - that everyone who lives out this was is classless, pregnant, illiterate, and a bogan.
  • MyFeistyEvolution
    MyFeistyEvolution Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I'm from NH...people in other areas have made assumptions that I'm a hick or a "snob from New England". I'm neither.
  • littlesis412
    littlesis412 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I'm from Kentucky. So, apparently I have:
    -no shoes
    -no education
    -live in a trailer or shack
    -no teeth
    -no grammar
    -racist
    -religious
    -related to everyone
    -daughter of a coal miner or farmer (ok, actually he was a farmer but I'm proud of that)
    -live off the government (only for educational scholarships)
    -teen mom
    -meth lab
    -love KFC (wouldn't touch with a 10-foot pole)
    -poverty and ignorance in general
    -and most recently, burn our cities down for winning a basketball game (seriously, I was home going homework and I'm a UK fan)
  • citydwellers
    Options
    Them: "Where are you from?"
    Me: "Kansas City"
    Them: "Oh, Kansas! Where's Toto, Dorothy??!!"

#1. I'm from Kansas City, MISSOURI. #2. No, I don't live on a farm, own cattle, or have ever been swooped up by a tornado...

I'm from KC, MO too and I couldn't agree more!!
  • Andrea681
    Andrea681 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    That is rains all the time. Seattle actually has some beautiful sunny day. Especially in the Summer and Fall.
  • Andrea681
    Andrea681 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Haha! Love this!
  • stephabef
    stephabef Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Lots of folks confuse Atlanta with... the rest of Georgia. We're a blue dot in a very red state. Most people I know weren't born here - I only know three native Atlantans.
  • Tennessee2019
    Tennessee2019 Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    California born & raised.
    2 Words - California Girl. Nuff said.

Blonde (yes) Tall (yes) Perfect Figure (No)
    Then of course, there are the blonde jokes that go along with it..............
  • genuinelyfrans
    Options
    umm, I'm from jersey. nuff said.

Jersey-Shore.jpg

This is so true! I am also from New Jersey and people assume that we are like the people from the Jersey Shore (I have heard the term "guidos" used before to describe people from New Jersey). In case anyone is wondering, I am Hispanic and proud of it :)
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    Well according to Rolling Stone magazine a few years ago, I live in the meth capitol of the world! As far as I can tell they prefer alcohol and weed but maybe the meth is carefully hidden. We do have meth issues but not as prevalent as you would think having read that article. Mostly though it's just a small town with lots of families and a community that's trying to change it's image. I think it's a nice town. :)
  • Akijade
    Akijade Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I'm from Oregon, so I must be a lumberjack.