What do you think is the biggest misconception about where y

Options
1202122232426»

Replies

• coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    People always think my town is full of hillbilly's and hicks :laugh: Which I guess is partially true......
  • sheepysaccount
    sheepysaccount Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Apparently me being from Germany means we're all Nazis here -.-

Or we all speak English with a very crass "German" accent which is not what we sound like speaking English at all...

*shakes head* I don't like being a stereotype...
  • AvonLucyR
    AvonLucyR Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    We're all married to our cousins and dropped out of school in the 8th grade...lol! I must admit, I know a lot of people who fit Jeff Foxworthy's requirements for rednecks. I love the line from "Sweet Home, Alabama", "just cause I talk slow, doesn't mean I'm stupid". I grew up in the North and went to college, but now I'm in the true south - Small town, North Carolina.:tongue:
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    Being mexican...

People think I live in a desert, I wear a sombrero and Im always seated under a sahuaro´s shadow
    People think all mexicans are dark skinned (which im not at all, im even whiter than my bf, and he is white/american/caucasian...

I get that same comment too whenever they ask me who I am & when I tell them that I'm half-Mexican they say no it can't be because you're not dark-skinned, LOL. Well my father is dark-skinned but my grandmother is White.
    Being mexican...

They think its always sunny and hot as hell... Well not really, we get snow, hail and rain as well. Mexico its not just a huge desert.

I agree. A lot of my Mexican friends have their family members suffering from cold or flu due to the cold weather.
  • ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    That we all live in ice huts, have no roads, or running water, and ride our dog sleds to work. And that we all know Shania Twain personally....
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    I made a very long comment here a while ago but to summarize it:

1. Being a Mexican-Filipino = So you or your family must be into boxing (Er no, LOL)
    2. Only the dark Australoid or Asiatic/Malay-looking people are Filipinos so therefore you're not a Filipina, you're a Mestiza (yes they're the majority but NOT EVERYONE is of that race. Filipino is not a race or ethnicity, its a NATIONALITY)
    3. Filipino women are gold diggers/marrying a US citizen to get a green card (yeah there are many but NOT ALL)
    4. Filipinos are Spanish/Latino wannabees or with "I'm Spanish, Chinese, Filipino" identity crisis (there are many also but again NOT ALL)
    5. Philippines is a country with a corrupt government and lots of poor people (They're the majority but again NOT EVERYONE is poor)
    6. Filipino people living in nipa huts (not if you live in the urban cities especially in the capital)
    7. Filipinos are karaoke or pancit loving people (Sorry but again it DOESN'T apply to everyone)
  • avonchik
    avonchik Posts: 106
    Options
    You wouldn't believe it but a lot of people don't know where MAINE is . No Kidding. And if they do they think we all live in the woods with bears and no plumbing. Fishing and catching LOBSTAH for dinner! AYUH.... LOL
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    Portland, Oregon here. I think people believe there is a Starbucks or a Dutch Brothers on every corner. That everybody is drinking designer beers from small breweries. That we are all eco-conscious. Wait. That's all true. Also rains too damn much.
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    You wouldn't believe it but a lot of people don't know where MAINE is . No Kidding. And if they do they think we all live in the woods with bears and no plumbing. Fishing and catching LOBSTAH for dinner! AYUH.... LOL

I know where Maine is :wink: You are right above me! I don't think you live in the woods with bears and no plumbing, but I do get that fishing, lobster, crab, boat vibe from Maine :wink:
  • maria1113
    maria1113 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I'm a Finn and I don't live in an igloo, have a pet polar bear, drink tons of vodka and have any plans of committing a suicide :wink:

We have gotten quite a bit of snow last couple winters, but the summers have been hot too. And yes, it doesn't feel like summer if it's pitch black at 9pm, no matter how hot it is :wink:
    The sun does come up during the winter here in south and during the midsummer the sun goes down for couple hours.

Funniest things I've heard in Sates (while I was living there) was that people thought I was from Minnesota when I told them I was from Finland :laugh:
  • maria1113
    maria1113 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, and we are not all blue eyed blonds (my mom is though) :tongue:
  • KxK0509
    KxK0509 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    DC
    Everyone loves politics and watches C-SPAN.

You're a lawyer. If not, you work on the Hill.

All our elected politicians are crack addicts and/or criminals (wait...what?)

We don't know how to dress fashionably.

We hate living here.

We're all mad and stuff because we're not a state.
  • katydid25
    katydid25 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I'm from North Dakota and my job involved talking to people from all over the country. These are all things I hear a lot:

"You don't sound like the people in the movie Fargo."
    "Do you drive dogsleds to work?"
    "Is it true you guys don't have plumbing or electricity?"
    "I've been to ND! We visited Mt. Rushmore last summer."

And a big one lately:

"Do you live in middle of the oil field?"