What do you think is the biggest misconception about where y

Options

Replies

• Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    People assume since I am from orange county, CA that I should be blonde, my boobs should be fake, I am rich, and not very intelligent. None of the above is true! (I guess some would argue I am blonde, though).
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    That is rains all the time. Seattle actually has some beautiful sunny day. Especially in the Summer and Fall.

The last three days have been spectacular!
  • Tulipgirl1223
    Tulipgirl1223 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Being from Chicago most people comment on Al Capone.

Come on, that was 90 years ago, we're all about corrupt politicians now people.

Tim

This LOL
  • HelloSweetie4
    HelloSweetie4 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    A lot of people think Rhode Island is part of New York... It surprises me, because didn't they learn the 13 colonies in grade school?!
    Also, if they do know that RI is an actual state, they assume that no one pronounces "r"s when you are supposed to and add "r"s when there are none. so "go to the car and grab the soda" becomes "go to tha caah and grab the soder"
  • RoanneRed
    RoanneRed Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Slightly tangential but, when I lived in Paris (France) for a year and restaurant customers asked where I was from, I found it quite entertaining to ask them to guess. I remember one occasion where they were going through all the American states and I just kept telling them 'further south' - they had a real problem after Florida until I advised them I wasn't American as noone ever guessed that I was a New Zealand-born Australian! Others also tried England, Ireland and Scotland but I really don't know how they sometimes asked if I was Italian!
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    I am from Massachusetts, everyone thinks we are better than them and that we are the bluest of the blue states, well for one I am more right leaning, but I do think I am better than everyone.
  • lripson28
    lripson28 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I'm from upstate New York. Way upstate. In the Adirondacks. It's absolutely the boondocks up here. Anytime I'm traveling and I tell someone I'm from New York, I get, "What was it like to grow up in such a big city?" Or, "wow, the big apple!" Or something along those lines. New York is a lot more than just New York City.

Yupp I'm from Lockport, NY, the total opposite side of the state from NYC and people still always think of the city.
  • muscular_dude
    Options
    Dude.. You can't be "half Canadian". Canada is a multicultural society.....

Well I'm 50% Canadian. And 50% Russian. I'm a US Born person but tell it to my parent's that I can't be half Canadian. They will be interested to hear what you have to say.

Canadian isn't an ethnicity you idiot -.-

My maternal side is....

"French Canadian or Francophone Canadian (also Canadien in Canadian English or in French) generally refers to the descendents of French colonists who arrived in New France (Canada) in the 17th and 18th centuries. Today, French Canadians constitute the main French-speaking population of Canada."

I have strong French-Canadian ancestry on my mother's side....so what does that mean? huh. And name calling really? Thought Canadians were supposed to be nice - what's that aboot 'eh?

So back to my question? I'm 50% Russian and 50% of my blood is CANADIAN. What is the correct way to phrase this?

100% American with Canadan and Russian ancestry.
  • muscular_dude
    Options
    DEE-troit baby! And no, not the ghetto. Miss it
    terribly. Live in Indy now - corn field hell. Not a lake in the state worth visiting.

the "D" too "the heartbeat of America" ...oh that"s not a misconception
  • spearfox
    spearfox Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    From Oklahoma also.
    Hicks, rednecks, bible thumpers, teepees, dirt roads, pickup trucks and all that other stuff. I've heard lots of it.

When I was in Germany for a long vacation many years ago some people were not sure where Oklahoma was.
    They did know the tv show Dallas and J.R. Ewing. Sometimes I would tell them I live North of Dallas.
  • Nerple
    Nerple Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I'm from upstate New York. Way upstate. In the Adirondacks. It's absolutely the boondocks up here. Anytime I'm traveling and I tell someone I'm from New York, I get, "What was it like to grow up in such a big city?" Or, "wow, the big apple!" Or something along those lines. New York is a lot more than just New York City.

I get the same thing when I tell people I went to school in New York (Schenectady).

I'm from Massachusetts, and most just assume I'm an (M)*kitten* that can't drive and doesn't pronounce my r's.

They're almost right, I'm an *kitten* with a thick accent that can't park, but am a great driver.

Oh and I'm French Catholic, not Irish Catholic.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I am from Massachusetts, everyone thinks we are better than them
    We totally are.
  • Nerple
    Options
    I am from Massachusetts, everyone thinks we are better than them
    We totally are.
    Agreed
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Northern Ca. I must be a left wing crazy and smoke pot.
    I so hella:laugh: don't.
  • pbajwally
    pbajwally Posts: 210 Member
    Options

Watertown area? The North Country! I love the way people think NYC is the only part of NY. The city is nice, sure but I wouldn't live there! I definitely love upstate better! I'm in ROC.
  • JessicaMarie9382
    Options
    I'm from Minnesota. Some of the biggest misconceptions are:

*The Fargo is in MN and that movie was based on MN.....Idiots, Fargo is in N. Dakota.
    *That MN is part of Canada!....WTF?!
  • SnakeDarling
    SnakeDarling Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Oh gawd. If I had a quarter for every misconception there is about Texans, I'd be one rich bitc#.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    I'm from south Florida. The biggest misconception about where I'm from is that the people are all hot.
    Wrong.

so...............so wrong.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    People assume living in London means it's easy to find work and I earn a lot of money. Nothing could be further from the truth - I couldn't afford University and without a degree, I'm pretty screwed here as it stands.

Also, I don't drink tea with my little finger sticking out :)
  • Nerple
    Options
    funny-map-of-massachusetts.jpg

There's a better one than this, but it cracks me up nonetheless. :)

That is awesome. I'm a witch that has also lived in the land of Pilgrims and Big Egos