Your views on 'CARBOHYDRATES'

Options

Replies

• Ripken818836701
    Ripken818836701 Posts: 607 Member
    Options

Whether you need a lot of carbs to fuel your workouts depends on how intense your workouts need to be. Probably the majority of MFPers trying to better their health don't *need* a lot of carbs to fuel their workouts if they give themselves 2-4 weeks to adapt to using more fat to fuel their workouts.

The argument I want to make is that there is a tradeoff for using carbohydrates as fuel for athletic performance. There are many people who struggle with weight loss and excessive hunger on a high-carb diet and would benefit on a low-carb diet. For speed of weight loss, low-carb and high-carb doesn't make much difference, but there is a lot of evidence showing that low-carb diets are superior for improving the lipid profile. Also the benefit of being able to lose weight on low-carb without counting calories often outweighs the loss of athletic performance because the weight loss automatically improves performance in many cases.
    First I am the average MFPer, Some people not alot are carb sensitive, and yes, people that are carb sensitive might have to eat a low carb diet. But in most cases its not an issue until they drop to under 15% bodf fat.

I don't believe your assumption that 'not alot' of people are carb sensitive. I don't think we all spontaneously became gluttonous slobs in 1980. I'm hoping more research will show maybe there is a problem with our highly grain and sugar-based diets.

So, do you believe that since 1980 people have begun eating more grains than they did prior to the 80's?

People reduced fat intake and increased carbohydrate intake, and obesity skyrocketed. Not that this is evidence of causation, but gets you thinking maybe we should look into it.
    People eat more food and more high in fat food today then they did 50-60 years ago.

The major increase in obesity rate didn't really occur until around 1980.
    The average american eats more food today and food that is higher in fat on a daily basis than we did in 1980, and our lives have gotten significantly easier aswell.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I eat carbs on a regular basis. I don't overdo it and try to balance it with adequate protein and fat intake. I also try to get my carbs from fruit, whole grain fiber-rich breads, and starchy veggies (potatoes, corn, etc.).

It's worked very well for me. I tried low-carb for a while, and while I lost weight (eventually stalled out on it), I was miserable, lethargic, had no energy to workout, and generally was very cranky. I did much better on a balanced diet and subsequently busted through my first plateau as well.
  • StartingAnewDay
    StartingAnewDay Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    They are delicious. That is all.

^^^^^^^^ This.. *rolls happily in clouds of warm roll/bread/heavenly goodness*
  • tamerkins2
    tamerkins2 Posts: 212
    Options
    I am a carboholic. I love carbs. I try to keep them under control, but some days I just want loads and loads of carbs.
  • dalgal26
    dalgal26 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Love Them! BUT, I limit them. Especially fruit. Once I eat them, I am hungry for the day, no matter what. :frown:
  • 10KEyes
    10KEyes Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I agree. Having grown up before they existed, I highly suspect the TV remote as one of the key factors in obesity. Can you imagine? Actually having to get up and walk to the TV every time you wanted to change the channel. Not to mention having to sometime climb on the roof to adjust the antenna. And then there are video games...

That certainly doesn't help. Agreed. But there seems to be more to it than that.
  • HardcorePork
    HardcorePork Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    The average american eats more food today and food that is higher in fat on a daily basis than we did in 1980, and our lives have gotten significantly easier aswell.

I also see that food manufacturing has changed dramatically, and there are a large number of "convenience foods" that are consumed regularly by the average American. There have also been changes in social welfare that make it possible for poor people to buy convenience foods with little to no nutritional value. Obesity is a big problem in low-income families, where lack of education, lack of TIME, and availability of junk food at low cost make healthy eating difficult.
  • Ripken818836701
    Options

Whether you need a lot of carbs to fuel your workouts depends on how intense your workouts need to be. Probably the majority of MFPers trying to better their health don't *need* a lot of carbs to fuel their workouts if they give themselves 2-4 weeks to adapt to using more fat to fuel their workouts.

The argument I want to make is that there is a tradeoff for using carbohydrates as fuel for athletic performance. There are many people who struggle with weight loss and excessive hunger on a high-carb diet and would benefit on a low-carb diet. For speed of weight loss, low-carb and high-carb doesn't make much difference, but there is a lot of evidence showing that low-carb diets are superior for improving the lipid profile. Also the benefit of being able to lose weight on low-carb without counting calories often outweighs the loss of athletic performance because the weight loss automatically improves performance in many cases.
    First I am the average MFPer, Some people not alot are carb sensitive, and yes, people that are carb sensitive might have to eat a low carb diet. But in most cases its not an issue until they drop to under 15% bodf fat.

I don't believe your assumption that 'not alot' of people are carb sensitive. I don't think we all spontaneously became gluttonous slobs in 1980. I'm hoping more research will show maybe there is a problem with our highly grain and sugar-based diets.

So, do you believe that since 1980 people have begun eating more grains than they did prior to the 80's?

People reduced fat intake and increased carbohydrate intake, and obesity skyrocketed. Not that this is evidence of causation, but gets you thinking maybe we should look into it.
    People eat more food and more high in fat food today then they did 50-60 years ago.

Grinch I checked your profile to see your progress pics but you dont have any. SInce you each such a perfect diet could you share pics with us to show us the fruits of such a strict diet? Thanks,
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

You say we reduced fat and increased carb consumption since 1980? and yet ERS data shows fat consumption increasing over that time

http://www.ers.usda.gov/data/foodconsumption/FoodGuideSpreadsheets.htm#calories
  • HardcorePork
    Options
    Grinch I checked your profile to see your progress pics but you dont have any. SInce you each such a perfect diet could you share pics with us to show us the fruits of such a strict diet? Thanks,

Why are you attacking someone personally for their opinions on epidemiological issues and questions? Someone's personal fitness has very little to do with complex obesity epidemic. If I discounted everyone's input because they're fatter than me, then I'd have no reason to be here...
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Too many calories, regardless of their source lead to body fat. Carbs are the only source of energy that can be utilized by the brain and by red blood cells. They are absolutely essential to life.

No. Carbohydrates are NOT essential to life. You couldn't be more wrong on this.

Thank You. Carbs are not essential, fat is more necessary to life for brain and cellular function than carbs.

To the OP, if you have the metabolism and the activity level to support eating a high level of carbs, then go for it. If you are not that active of a person, then carb levels should be moderated.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I agree. Having grown up before they existed, I highly suspect the TV remote as one of the key factors in obesity. Can you imagine? Actually having to get up and walk to the TV every time you wanted to change the channel. Not to mention having to sometime climb on the roof to adjust the antenna. And then there are video games...

That certainly doesn't help. Agreed. But there seems to be more to it than that.

Of course there is. Take any animal, give it a life that doesn't require work and an unlimited supply of easy food and it will become fat. In America, and other nations were life can be as easy as we want and we can eat all we want, we have to fight our very nature to stay fit and thin. Exercising regularly and preparing meals from natural foods just to stay healthy and thin takes work. Humans don't seem to like work.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options

Are there stastics that show that? I grew up in the 60's and 70's and just based on personal experience I would say that fat intake skyrocketed as fast food became the norm, rather than the occasional. When I was a child we rarely had fast food. It was a luxury. By 1980 people were eating it much more regularly and it was much higher in fat than most home cooked meals.

But you are also talking about overly processed grains primarily, which is entirely differnent than just "grains". I think most people will agree that a diet based primarily on processed grains is bad. If you strip all the good stuff out of any food it's not going to be healthy to then base your diet on that.

One graph shows food intake and another shows obesity rates. Before Acg pulls out his pirate graph, this isn't showing causation. I find it suspicious though.

http://www.cdc.gov/NCHS/data/hestat/obesity_adult_07_08/obesity_adult_07_08.pdf
    http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5304a3.htm

I'm not even saying that grains are the only bad food. I think refined grains are bad for the obvious reasons, whole grains have anti-nutrients and it seems more and more people are developing gluten intolerance/sensitivity. We eat too much sugar. And of course we combine too much fat with our carbs.

I think that some people evolved to have intolerance to carbs because their ancestors didn't have abundant access to them, so insulin resistance was a survival mechanism that has become counter-productive in modern times.
  • Ripken818836701
    Options

Why are you attacking someone personally for their opinions on epidemiological issues and questions? Someone's personal fitness has very little to do with complex obesity epidemic. If I discounted everyone's input because they're fatter than me, then I'd have no reason to be here...
    I wasnt attacking anyone?? Just wanted to see the results of such a strict diet.
  • HardcorePork
    Options

Of course there is. Take any animal, give it a life that doesn't require work and an unlimited supply of easy food and it will become fat. In America, and other nations were life can be as easy as we want and we can eat all we want, we have to fight our very nature to stay fit and thin. Exercising regularly and preparing meals from natural foods just to stay healthy and thin takes work. Humans don't seem to like work.

I have a fat kitty...and she's on diet food and EVERYthing. :(

Maybe she has PCOS ...or a thyroid problem.
  • HardcorePork
    Options
    I wasnt attacking anyone?? Just wanted to see the results of such a strict diet.

As if you're mocking tone and sarcasm was lost on me.... it was rude, and you know it.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    WOW, you are using LiveStrong as a credible source?

There is no biological need for carbs:
    This is why there is no biological need for carbohydrates. The body will make the glucose (sugar) it needs from protein and natural fat.
    Reference: Basic Medical Biochemistry: A Clinical Approach, pg. 24, 394. Dawn B. Marks, Allan D. Marks, Colleen M. Smith, Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins, August 1996, ISBN: 068305595X.

Too many calories, regardless of their source lead to body fat. Carbs are the only source of energy that can be utilized by the brain and by red blood cells. They are absolutely essential to life.

No. Carbohydrates are NOT essential to life. You couldn't be more wrong on this.

THIS. They are non-essential.

Carbohydrates are essential to life. They help the brain produce seratonin which makes us happy. If you went 100% carb free you would be very ill. Ask any doctor. That is why the atkins diet does not work. Anyone who thinks you do not need a good balance between carba, protein and fats is just fooling themselves.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/414187-why-do-we-need-carbohydrates-in-our-diet/

Carbohydrates is one of the three macronutrients found in food, along with protein and fat. Each macronutrient has a different role, but all of them provide energy or calories to help your body go through your daily activities. Carbohydrates are actually made up of starches, sugars and fibers and can be found in grains, such as breakfast cereals, rice, pasta, granola bars, baked goods, crackers, legumes, fruits, milk, yogurt and any food that contains sugar.
    Dietary Guidelines
    The "2010 Dietary Guidelines for Americans" recommends that about half of your daily calories, or between 45 percent to 65 percent to be exact, be provided by carbohydrates. This amount of carbohydrates corresponds to between 225 g and 325 g of total carbohydrates, of which 25 g to 38 g should be fiber, based on a 2,000-calorie diet. The carbohydrate recommendation can be met by following MyPyramid, which promotes the daily consumption of 5 to 8 oz. of grains, 1.5 to 2 cups of fruits, 3 cups of dairy and up to 265 calories' worth of sugar or processed foods, based on a 2,000-calorie diet.
    Diabetic Diet Food Chart Discover diabetic diet food chart. Great Diabetic options right here. WeKnowMedical.com
    Sponsored Links
    Carbohydrates Role
    While protein serves as a building block to repair and maintain the integrity of your cells, tissues and organs and fat is involved in the production of hormones and is a constituent of the membrane of each of your cells, the main role of carbohydrates is to provide energy. Some of your body cells, especially in your brain and your red blood cells, prefer to run on glucose, a type of sugar that can be obtained through the consumption of carbohydrates. When you exercise, your muscles can also use glucose as their main source of fuel.
    Low-Carbohydrate Diets
    Many low-carb eating plans recommend restricting your carbohydrate intake below 20 percent of your calories, which corresponds to 100 g or less of total carbohydrates a day. Although it is generally advised that the bulk of your calories be provided by carbohydrates, "the lower limit of dietary carbohydrate compatible with life apparently is zero, provided that adequate amounts of protein and fat are consumed," according to the "Dietary Reference Intakes for Energy, Carbohydrate, Fiber, Fat, Fatty Acids, Cholesterol, Protein, and Amino Acids," published by the Institute of Medicine in 2005. The glucose that is needed by the brain and red blood cells can be manufactured from protein if you reduce your carbohydrate intake. Moreover, if you lower your carbohydrate intake, your body adjusts and switches to using fat as its main source of fuel, providing ketones which can also be used by your brain and various organs as a source of energy. Although carbohydrates provide energy, it is not an essential nutrient if your diet includes adequate amounts of protein and fat.
    Finding The Right Amount of Carbs for You
    Although the recommended carbohydrate intake corresponds to 225 g to 325 g a day, some people benefit from lowering their carbohydrate intake, whether it is to promote fat loss, better manage blood sugar levels or improve blood cholesterol levels. The best way to find out what works best for you is to change your carbohydrate intake, by either increasing or decreasing it, until you find the level that helps you feel energized while helping you reach your weight loss and health goals.
    Atkins - Official Site Lose Up to 15 Pounds in 2 Weeks* Get Your Free Weight Loss Kit Today www.Atkins.com
    Type 2 Diabetes Food Tips Recipes, Meal Planners, and Tools to Help Lead a Healthier Lifestyle. merckengage.com
    Low carb diet meal plan Revolutionary DNA Weight Loss Diet Custom Made & Shipped To You. www.GenoVive.com
    Lose Belly Fat Naturally 3 sneaky hormones destroying your metabolism & how to stop them now. www.RealDose.com/Weight-Loss
    Sponsored Links
    References
    U.S. Department of Agriculture and U.S. Department of Health and Human Services: "2010 Dietary Guidelines for Americans"
    My Pyramid: Food Groups
    "Dietary Reference Intakes for Energy, Carbohydrate, Fiber, Fat, Fatty Acids, Cholesterol, Protein, and Amino Acids"; Institute of Medicine Food and Nutrition Board; 2005
    "Nutrition & Metabolism"; The case for low carbohydrate diets in diabetes management; Surender K. Arora, et al.; July 2005
    "Annals of Internal Medicine"; A Low-Carbohydrate, Ketogenic Diet versus a Low-Fat Diet To Treat Obesity and Hyperlipidemia; William S. Yancy Jr. et al; 2004

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/414187-why-do-we-need-carbohydrates-in-our-diet/#ixzz1rfREfqoR
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options

My diet isn't perfect. What is my strict diet you're referring to?
  • HardcorePork
    Options
    WOW, you are using LiveStrong as a credible source?

There is no biological need for carbs:
    This is why there is no biological need for carbohydrates. The body will make the glucose (sugar) it needs from protein and natural fat.
    Reference: Basic Medical Biochemistry: A Clinical Approach, pg. 24, 394. Dawn B. Marks, Allan D. Marks, Colleen M. Smith, Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins, August 1996, ISBN: 068305595X.

The human body isn't really designed to derive all of it's glucose from gluconeogenesis. I would think that would be overly taxing to the kidneys and liver. Maybe we should all allow ourselves a few carbs, eh? For the kidneys? Maybe...
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    I eat carbohydrates, and won't give them up. We all eat what we want. WHO THE F CARES!