Your views on 'CARBOHYDRATES'

Options

Replies

• grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options

Whether you need a lot of carbs to fuel your workouts depends on how intense your workouts need to be. Probably the majority of MFPers trying to better their health don't *need* a lot of carbs to fuel their workouts if they give themselves 2-4 weeks to adapt to using more fat to fuel their workouts.

The argument I want to make is that there is a tradeoff for using carbohydrates as fuel for athletic performance. There are many people who struggle with weight loss and excessive hunger on a high-carb diet and would benefit on a low-carb diet. For speed of weight loss, low-carb and high-carb doesn't make much difference, but there is a lot of evidence showing that low-carb diets are superior for improving the lipid profile. Also the benefit of being able to lose weight on low-carb without counting calories often outweighs the loss of athletic performance because the weight loss automatically improves performance in many cases.
    First I am the average MFPer, Some people not alot are carb sensitive, and yes, people that are carb sensitive might have to eat a low carb diet. But in most cases its not an issue until they drop to under 15% bodf fat.

I don't believe your assumption that 'not alot' of people are carb sensitive. I don't think we all spontaneously became gluttonous slobs in 1980. I'm hoping more research will show maybe there is a problem with our highly grain and sugar-based diets.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Whether you need a lot of carbs to fuel your workouts depends on how intense your workouts need to be. Probably the majority of MFPers trying to better their health don't *need* a lot of carbs to fuel their workouts if they give themselves 2-4 weeks to adapt to using more fat to fuel their workouts.

The argument I want to make is that there is a tradeoff for using carbohydrates as fuel for athletic performance. There are many people who struggle with weight loss and excessive hunger on a high-carb diet and would benefit on a low-carb diet. For speed of weight loss, low-carb and high-carb doesn't make much difference, but there is a lot of evidence showing that low-carb diets are superior for improving the lipid profile. Also the benefit of being able to lose weight on low-carb without counting calories often outweighs the loss of athletic performance because the weight loss automatically improves performance in many cases.
    First I am the average MFPer, Some people not alot are carb sensitive, and yes, people that are carb sensitive might have to eat a low carb diet. But in most cases its not an issue until they drop to under 15% bodf fat.

I don't believe your assumption that 'not alot' of people are carb sensitive. I don't think we all spontaneously became gluttonous slobs in 1980. I'm hoping more research will show maybe there is a problem with our highly grain and sugar-based diets.

Where are you trying to go with this?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

So, do you believe that since 1980 people have begun eating more grains than they did prior to the 80's?
  • grinch031
    Options

Actually I was sorta combining my thoughts on that post with something tigersword said in an earlier post.

I understand the lesson people learned about demonizing fat, but from what I've seen, I think its reasonable to hypothesize that a highly grain-based diet isn't so good for us. I don't buy the gluttony/sloth model of obesity just yet.
  • HardcorePork
    HardcorePork Posts: 109 Member
    Options

King Corn. The end.
  • 10KEyes
    10KEyes Posts: 250 Member
    Options

King Corn. The end.

And Food Inc.
  • Ripken818836701
    Ripken818836701 Posts: 607 Member
    Options

We became gluttonous slobs (myself included) because we got lazy!! Not because of carbs!! Every task we could/ would possibly have since the 1930's has been made easier. From cleaning the house, mowing the lawn, gathering and preparing our food and even the invention of remote control for your tv. The same is true in each and everyone of our's work place, regardless of your job.
  • grinch031
    Options

So, do you believe that since 1980 people have begun eating more grains than they did prior to the 80's?

People reduced fat intake and increased carbohydrate intake, and obesity skyrocketed. Not that this is evidence of causation, but gets you thinking maybe we should look into it.
  • Justapartyofone
    Options
    They are delicious. That is all.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Actually I was sorta combining my thoughts on that post with something tigersword said in an earlier post.

I understand the lesson people learned about demonizing fat, but from what I've seen, I think its reasonable to hypothesize that a highly grain-based diet isn't so good for us. I don't buy the gluttony/sloth model of obesity just yet.

And are their currently any societies that have a highly grain based diet, far more then we do in the US?
  • 10KEyes
    10KEyes Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    we became gluttonous slobs (myself included) because we got lazy!! Not because of carbs!! Every task we could/ would possibly have since the 1930's has been made easier. From cleaning the house, mowing the lawn, gathering and prepaing our food and even the invention of remote control for your tv. The same is true in each and everyone of our's work place, regardless of your job.

The American diet has shifted dramatically from what it was in the 1930s. In the 1930s it was not nearly as grain based and/or processed.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    we became gluttonous slobs (myself included) because we got lazy!! Not because of carbs!! Every task we could/ would possibly have since the 1930's has been made easier. From cleaning the house, mowing the lawn, gathering and prepaing our food and even the invention of remote control for your tv. The same is true in each and everyone of our's work place, regardless of your job.

I agree. Having grown up before they existed, I highly suspect the TV remote as one of the key factors in obesity. Can you imagine? Actually having to get up and walk to the TV every time you wanted to change the channel. Not to mention having to sometime climb on the roof to adjust the antenna. And then there are video games...
  • Ripken818836701
    Options

People reduced fat intake and increased carbohydrate intake, and obesity skyrocketed. Not that this is evidence of causation, but gets you thinking maybe we should look into it.
    People eat more food and more high in fat food today then they did 50-60 years ago.
  • grinch031
    Options

We became gluttonous slobs (myself included) because we got lazy!! Not because of carbs!! Every task we could/ would possibly have since the 1930's has been made easier. From cleaning the house, mowing the lawn, gathering and preparing our food and even the invention of remote control for your tv. The same is true in each and everyone of our's work place, regardless of your job.

Except there's no real compelling evidence that physical activity makes a whole lot of difference without accompanying dietary changes.
  • HardcorePork
    Options

meanwhile, manual labor was outsourced to 3rd world countries, or eliminated entirely by advances in technology...
  • grinch031
    Options

People eat more food and more high in fat food today then they did 50-60 years ago.

The major increase in obesity rate didn't really occur until around 1980.
  • Ripken818836701
    Options

The American diet has shifted dramatically from what it was in the 1930s. In the 1930s it was not nearly as grain based and/or processed.
    I dont know were you hail from but here in PA. our diets were just as grain based in the 1930's as they are today.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Are there stastics that show that? I grew up in the 60's and 70's and just based on personal experience I would say that fat intake skyrocketed as fast food became the norm, rather than the occasional. When I was a child we rarely had fast food. It was a luxury. By 1980 people were eating it much more regularly and it was much higher in fat than most home cooked meals.

But you are also talking about overly processed grains primarily, which is entirely differnent than just "grains". I think most people will agree that a diet based primarily on processed grains is bad. If you strip all the good stuff out of any food it's not going to be healthy to then base your diet on that.
  • CallieM15
    CallieM15 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I believe that carbs are NOT BAD. But now a days we eat more then we should of the "bad" sugars.
  • HardcorePork
    Options

The major increase in obesity rate didn't really occur until around 1980.

What you're talking about is prevalence, and not a rate. Just to nitpick...epidemiological terms are much more precise.