Your views on 'CARBOHYDRATES'

Options

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Lyle McDonald and Alan Aragon are considered geniuses in the nutrition world.

^ This.

By whom? Laymen reading the internet, or other experts in the field of nutrition?

Both of them (Lyle and Alan) are world renowned by not just other nutrition and fitness experts, but they are sought after by professional sports/nutrition coaches, nutrition and PT's that work with actors to prepare for movies, the list goes on. It's not even about their "degrees" or "years of experience" in the field. It's the reputation and recognition they have received.

That may be, but I've still never seen them referenced in any nutrition journals or publications. But given your description above I guess I can see why.

They aren't scientists Bcatts. They don't work for Harvard Science or for the National Institutes of Health. Why would you see them in publications?

Sorry, I come from the world of healthcare. When someone is a genius in the field of nutrition my mind immediately goes to clinical journals. But I get it. Different type of genius.
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Bump for bookmarking
  • SilentRenegade
    SilentRenegade Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Personally I have no issues on a low-carb diet. I haven't lost any of my brain function and I haven't lost my energy, in fact I have more energy. I can't eat gluten so that takes most of the processed crap out of my diet. However, I do still eat quinoa, potatoes, rice, and ICE CREAM (delicious) in moderation.

The only issue I've run into is when I do want to drink, I get drunk much faster which kind of sucks. (Like sober to blacked out in 30 minutes)
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Lyle McDonald and Alan Aragon are considered geniuses in the nutrition world.

^ This.

By whom? Laymen reading the internet, or other experts in the field of nutrition?

Both of them (Lyle and Alan) are world renowned by not just other nutrition and fitness experts, but they are sought after by professional sports/nutrition coaches, nutrition and PT's that work with actors to prepare for movies, the list goes on. It's not even about their "degrees" or "years of experience" in the field. It's the reputation and recognition they have received.

That may be, but I've still never seen them referenced in any nutrition journals or publications. But given your description above I guess I can see why.

The fact that you haven't seen them referenced in nutrition journals or certain other publications doesn't disqualify them as being geniuses or well-regarded. If you have questions about the claim that either of them are either 1. a genius or 2. well regarded in the field, perhaps your standards for participation in the field are too limited. Maybe Nutrition is different as a discipline, but in my field of study, you're probably not going to get referenced unless you perform primary research. We have plenty of contributors to the community who are geniuses but aren't published in journals.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Plant foods are our only source of fiber, and insufficient fiber in the diet has been associated with insulin resistance.

True regarding the source of fiber, and true only if you are eating too much processed foods or grain derived foods. Insulin resistance is of little concern to someone who doesn't eat processed foods or grains.
    They make us happy, literally, by feeding our neurotransmitters. And people who eat three servings of whole grains a day are 30 per cent less likely to develop type 2 diabetes.

I believe that people who cut grains and processed foods out of their diet completely in most cases lose their type 2 status.

Bottom line eating grains are not necessary or essential as there are better sources of fiber and nutrients in veggies and fruit with less sugar load.

Who ever said this was about grains? The question was about carbs. You need carbs to get certain vitamins and minerals. You need carbs to get fiber. Yes, my last post mentioned the finding that people who ate 3 servings of whole grains are 30 percent likely to develop type 2 diabetes, but the topic is cabs. I never said grains were necessary. I said carbs were. And it seems that grains aren't all that bad if they cut down on the chance of developing type 2 diabetes.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Bottom line eating grains are not necessary or essential as there are better sources of fiber and nutrients in veggies and fruit with less sugar load.

There is not sufficient clinical evidence to back up such a claim.
  • Chipmaniac
    Chipmaniac Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I wonder if they can list carbophobia as an ailment in the next psychiatric diagnostic manual.

In the end, do what works for you. Any diet that tells you to cut out an entire group of foods entirely is automatically suspect in my mind. I also view anecdotal evidence regarding how bad carbs, or any other food make someone feel with skepticism. I could just as easily counter that I eat a decent amount of carbs and feel fine.

I stick relatively closely with the recommendations MFP makes regarding the macros, though lately I've been bumping up the protein and I've been losing steadily for two and a half months now. On top of that, I still get to eat pasta, rice and bread in moderation. It's a win win for me.
  • 10KEyes
    10KEyes Posts: 250 Member
    Options

True, but there is 200000 years of empirical evidence.
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I have no issue with carbs and find it amusing so many have jumped on the 'carbs are bad' bandwagon, the same as people jumped on the 'fat is bad' bandwagon and all the other myriad fad diets, and media grown fear frenzy.

I have concluded, having seen all these bad for you's, that everything should be eaten in moderation, whether it be carbs, fat or protein, and in balance as in the end, I think a balance is key to health, and this isn't just in terms of nutrition, but also in terms of most things in life.

I, personally, don't get on with bread and too much refined sugar, but I am perfectly happy eating my brown rice, my baked potatoes, my sweet potatoes and my rice noodles. I think as long as a person has no known intolerances/allergies, and keeps themselves reasonably active, carbohydrates in their place, should present no problem.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

care to elaborate?

I <3 paleo adherents
  • Chipmaniac
    Chipmaniac Posts: 642 Member
    Options

If the paleo diet fad was correct, then humans wouldn't be able to process starches and such in the first place. We've obviously adapted to it to some extent.

It kind of reminds me of the Amish or other cultures that shun modern technology. They pick a certain level of technology they are comfortable with, say a horse cart or hand saw, and reject anything later. But what makes the newer technology bad and the previous technology acceptable? I could see rejecting all technology but picking an arbitrary dividing line doesn't seem to make sense. The same goes with diet. To claim that pre-agricultural human diet is automatically preferable to the 5000 or so years of agriculture seems rather arbitrary.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    protein can do what carbs do too - thats why your body breaks down muscle when you starve yourself. you NEED protein and you NEED fat, you don't NEED carbs. they taste good though so i have some :). also, its impossible to eat no carbs not because you feel ****ty or your body needs it but because its in stuff. people can't do atkins because they want to eat stuff they miss not because it makes them unhealthy. this is the case and a wall of text and some links to weightloss websites won't change that.
  • VanessaMFaulkner
    Options
    Lol...if granola & bread are so essential to health...why did our ancestors (cave men) survive (on plants & mainly meat)? We have grown dependent on them...I eat no bread, pasta, or granola. My zero starch, no sugar & carbs has left me healthy. No longer on migraine mess, no longer on LIFELONG heart meds, no longer on asthma meds, I was taking so many prescribed meds...& I was borderline diabetic. That is no longer the case. I take 1 multi vit, magnesium & a b complex...that's it. A usual day for me is lots of water, high fiber veg, lean meat for lunch, same for dinner...3 snacks in between...2 fruits, 2pc of melba toast. Healthiest I've ever been & that's with a doctor following my eating habits.

You do realize that vegetables have carbs right? And melba toast is bread?

Silly question...trying to argue when really there is no argument. & there is sugar in fruit. & natural carbs in veggies. Point is...my carbs & sugars are completely gone...I could go without the melba but I use it in my salad. I don't crave it, nor do I crave candy or other foods that most ppl eat. My point is...I exercise daily, most carbs are EXTREMELY low...as is my sugar & starches...
  • 10KEyes
    Options
    If the paleo diet fad was correct, then humans wouldn't be able to process starches and such in the first place.

I don't know anything about the paleo diet. Is that their claim? That we cannot process starches?
  • 3laine75
    Options
    Carbohydrate foods are vital for good health. They provide a quick source of fuel for our brains which cannot derive energy from other types of food. (This is basic biology c6h12o6--remember?).

Isn't gluconeogenesis a mechanism by which the brain can receive adequate fuel in the absence of carbohydrates?

this^^
  • HardcorePork
    HardcorePork Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Carbohydrate foods are vital for good health. They provide a quick source of fuel for our brains which cannot derive energy from other types of food. (This is basic biology c6h12o6--remember?).

Isn't gluconeogenesis a mechanism by which the brain can receive adequate fuel in the absence of carbohydrates?

this^^

Are there any implications for, say...the liver, when your body relies too heavily on gluconeogenesis?

ETA... or kidneys?
  • 3laine75
    Options
    If the paleo diet fad was correct, then humans wouldn't be able to process starches and such in the first place.

I don't know anything about the paleo diet. Is that their claim? That we cannot process starches?

Lol - cows can digest corn - lucky them :D
  • 10KEyes
    Options
    Who ever said this was about grains? The question was about carbs.

True, maybe I am reading more into the OP's question.
  • 3laine75
    Options

this^^

Are there any implications for, say...the liver, when your body relies too heavily on gluconeogenesis?

ETA... or kidneys?

don't care - i eat carbs and so do loads of folk who say they don't. but if i had to live somewhere where there was only say, cow to eat i wouldn't die.
  • HardcorePork
    HardcorePork Posts: 109 Member
    Options

don't care - i eat carbs and so do loads of folk who say they don't. but if i had to live somewhere where there was only say, cow to eat i wouldn't die.

I'm sorry...what?!?!?! None of that made a lick of sense...