Your views on 'CARBOHYDRATES'

Options

Replies

• Ripken818836701
    Ripken818836701 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I'm loving this thread already. So much misinformation right off the bat.

Carbs are controversial and rightfully so. There is too much mixed data on them out there.

I'm reading a book called "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living". Basically the authors are Stephen Phinney and Jeff Volek and have been researching low-carb diets for decades with published papers. They believe that the majority of overweight people have varying degrees of intolerance to carbohydrate foods. They say that not only is a low-carbohydrate diet very healthy (often healthier than low-fat diets), but that significant amounts of carbohydrates are not required for athletic performance either.

There's a fine line in your last statement. Depends on the type of athletic performance you are referring to. I can guarantee that an offensive lineman in the NFL would not do well at all without a good amount of carbs in his diet. (Just using this as an example)

Well as soon as we have NFL lineman on MFP asking for dietary advice, then this might really matter.
    Well Im not an NFL player but on the advice of a couple paleo wacko's at the gym ( even though they dont look much different now than they did 13 months ago when I met them) I tried a low carb diet for a couple weeks, I felt weak, lost strength in my lifts and wasnt able to put the same intensity into my workouts. As soon as I raised my carbs everything returned to normal. I have no doubt that if I didnt eat a diet that was very high in carbs I wouldnt be anywhere close to where I am now. I'm not saying everyone should do it, but for me I'm sticking with carbs.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Lyle McDonald and Alan Aragon are considered geniuses in the nutrition world.

^ This.

By whom? Laymen reading the internet, or other experts in the field of nutrition?

The latter.

Editing since I sound like a douche.

I actually saw it before you changed it and I didn't think you sounded like a douche. It was a legit question. I've read quite a few nutrition journals and never seen them mentioned or seen articles by them. Never heard of them in fact until I joined MFP.

Where, other than their blogs or websites (or MFP), would I find them published or refered to in the field of nutrition?
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options

^ This.

By whom? Laymen reading the internet, or other experts in the field of nutrition?

Both of them (Lyle and Alan) are world renowned by not just other nutrition and fitness experts, but they are sought after by professional sports/nutrition coaches, nutrition and PT's that work with actors to prepare for movies, the list goes on. It's not even about their "degrees" or "years of experience" in the field. It's the reputation and recognition they have received.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    To the people who are claiming that carbohydrates are essential (and let me be clear that I'm not a low-carb person), can you define why they are essential, specifically?

When I say essential, I mean required from a biological standpoint, like EFA and EAA.

Carbohydrate foods are vital for good health. They provide a quick source of fuel for our brains which cannot derive energy from other types of food. (This is basic biology c6h12o6--remember?). Plant foods are our only source of fiber, and insufficient fiber in the diet has been associated with insulin resistance.

They make us happy, literally, by feeding our neurotransmitters. And people who eat three servings of whole grains a day are 30 per cent less likely to develop type 2 diabetes.
  • brendansmom1
    brendansmom1 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I never really thought it was true, but some people are very resistant to carbs....I am for sure. My weight loss took a complete HALT...for over 6 months...tried working out more, tried eating more, tried eating less....you name it, I tried it.

I went back to cutting carbs....wala....weight is coming off again. I am eating SOME carbs....just complex...right now mostly fruit and veggies.....I was TERRIFIED thinking I was not going to have energy for my workouts....(I do a lot of Tae Bo, and it is high cardio) but, ya know what? I am fine....go figure.

I am not saying I will never eat a piece of bread or a cookie again in my lifetime...just saying that I am adding more of the good carbs in to my diet....it is all about balance.

It is easy to fall into the "high fat" low carb eating style...that is where I am trying to be careful...its a challenge and many low fat things are high carb....ahh, the viscous cycle. LOL
  • joejccva71
    Options
    I'm loving this thread already. So much misinformation right off the bat.

Carbs are controversial and rightfully so. There is too much mixed data on them out there.

I'm reading a book called "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living". Basically the authors are Stephen Phinney and Jeff Volek and have been researching low-carb diets for decades with published papers. They believe that the majority of overweight people have varying degrees of intolerance to carbohydrate foods. They say that not only is a low-carbohydrate diet very healthy (often healthier than low-fat diets), but that significant amounts of carbohydrates are not required for athletic performance either.

There's a fine line in your last statement. Depends on the type of athletic performance you are referring to. I can guarantee that an offensive lineman in the NFL would not do well at all without a good amount of carbs in his diet. (Just using this as an example)

Well as soon as we have NFL lineman on MFP asking for dietary advice, then this might really matter.
    Well Im not an NFL player but on the advice of a couple paleo wacko's at the gym ( even though they dont look much different now than they did 13 months ago when I met them) I tried a low carb diet for a couple weeks, I felt weak, lost strength in my lifts and wasnt able to put the same intensity into my workouts. As soon as I raised my carbs everything returned to normal. I have no doubt that if I didnt eat a diet that was very high in carbs I wouldnt be anywhere close to where I am now. I'm not saying everyone should do it, but for me I'm sticking with carbs.

I think you read my posts wrong bud. I wasn't talking about the argument earlier where people think carbs are essential for human life, which they aren't. For athletic performance in a variety of different types, they are needed for obvious reasons. But to survive, they are not.
  • HardcorePork
    HardcorePork Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I went back to cutting carbs....wala....weight is coming off again.

Oh my.

For all intensive purposes, your post peaked my interest.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Me view on Carbohydrates?

<gollum impression> They are young, they are tender, they are nice! Eat them! EAT THEM!!!</gollum>

Carbohydrates are nature's ready made energy source and the body knows it. That's why it'll store the extra ones as fat. Just don't eat more than you need and you won't have a problem.

Yes, one should know the difference between complex and simple carbs and focus on consuming the former rather than the latter.

There is only one way to eat a brace of coneys!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Where, other than their blogs or websites (or MFP), would I find them published or refered to in the field of nutrition?

Why would you discount websites? It's a very valid form of publication now. Do a google search on Alan Aragon and see how many places his name comes up that are external to alanaragon.com and you'll see him referenced all over the place. He is a contributor to (correct me if I'm wrong peeps) Livestrong.com and Mens Health Magazine. He consults the Los Angeles Lakers and Stone Cold Steve Austin to name a few bigger names.
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options

Carbs - such as what many love and are addicted to, are man made and is responsible for making us obese in the first place, while giving us diabetes, cancer, heart disease, high blood pressure, bad cholesterol, and a multitude of other diseases.

Really? Carbs made people fat? It had nothing to do with excess calories?
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    Carbohydrates are not essential to survive.

Your body can break down other things to make up for them being absent.

They are however, important where athletic performance is concerned.

This is from me, and my experience, not a study. I have dabbled in low carb, low fat, etc.........and for me, the reason those things work, is because they restrict calories. I did a 5 day run of sub 20 carbs and sub 20 fat, for kicks, and it was very near impossible to get my calories to my bmr in that fashion. I was damn near useless in the gym during this time also..............
  • bcattoes
    Options

^ This.

Both of them (Lyle and Alan) are world renowned by not just other nutrition and fitness experts, but they are sought after by professional sports/nutrition coaches, nutrition and PT's that work with actors to prepare for movies, the list goes on. It's not even about their "degrees" or "years of experience" in the field. It's the reputation and recognition they have received.

That may be, but I've still never seen them referenced in any nutrition journals or publications. But given your description above I guess I can see why.
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    They're delicious. So I eat them. But I try not to go overboard even if I'm bulking .:)
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Carbohydrate foods are vital for good health. They provide a quick source of fuel for our brains which cannot derive energy from other types of food. (This is basic biology c6h12o6--remember?).

Isn't gluconeogenesis a mechanism by which the brain can receive adequate fuel in the absence of carbohydrates?
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Carbohydrate foods are vital for good health. They provide a quick source of fuel for our brains which cannot derive energy from other types of food. (This is basic biology c6h12o6--remember?).

Isn't gluconeogenesis a mechanism by which the brain can receive adequate fuel in the absence of carbohydrates?

Adequate, not quick.

Still without carbs, you can't naturally get things like vitamin C.
  • joejccva71
    Options

^ This.

That may be, but I've still never seen them referenced in any nutrition journals or publications. But given your description above I guess I can see why.

They aren't scientists Bcatts. They don't work for Harvard Science or for the National Institutes of Health. Why would you see them in publications?
  • MichelleRenee13
    MichelleRenee13 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Carbs make up the majority of my diet. I LOVE them. GIVE ME CARBS!
  • bcattoes
    Options

Why would you discount websites? It's a very valid form of publication now. Do a google search on Alan Aragon and see how many places his name comes up that are external to alanaragon.com and you'll see him referenced all over the place. He is a contributor to (correct me if I'm wrong peeps) Livestrong.com and Mens Health Magazine. He consults the Los Angeles Lakers and Stone Cold Steve Austin to name a few bigger names.

I'm not discounting anything, I just asked other then their own websites where I'd see them referenced in the world of nutrition. But it sounds like they are more about getting a athletic look or performance than into clinical nutrition research, which is what I primarily read, so that's probably why I'm not familiar.
  • HardcorePork
    HardcorePork Posts: 109 Member
    Options

It's my understanding that they read, interpret, analyze, and generate recommendations FROM existing research. I wasn't under the impression that either of them were in the business of generating empirical evidence and seeking publication of said evidence....
  • 10KEyes
    10KEyes Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Plant foods are our only source of fiber, and insufficient fiber in the diet has been associated with insulin resistance.

True regarding the source of fiber, and true only if you are eating too much processed foods or grain derived foods. Insulin resistance is of little concern to someone who doesn't eat processed foods or grains.
    They make us happy, literally, by feeding our neurotransmitters. And people who eat three servings of whole grains a day are 30 per cent less likely to develop type 2 diabetes.

I believe that people who cut grains and processed foods out of their diet completely in most cases lose their type 2 status.

Bottom line eating grains are not necessary or essential as there are better sources of fiber and nutrients in veggies and fruit with less sugar load.