Your views on 'CARBOHYDRATES'

Options

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

2193703_718.jpg

So I have to say that I am a fan of carbs, and fat, and protein. They're all important and all serve a purpose

I'm going to have to ask you to turn around so I can get a better assessment of the overall effects of carb intake. For the benefit of science, of course.
  • ZipperJJ
    ZipperJJ Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    You guys do realize that no one is eating "no carbs" but a lot of us are doing quite well on "low carbs" right?

I eat fruits (berries, melons), veggies (lettuce and cabbage families), dairy (cheese and heavy creams), grains (flax meal, Wassa bread) and nuts. I eat red meat 2-3 times a week. I eat lots of eggs, pork, poultry, soy.

What is missing from my diet? Oranges? (plenty of broccoli for vitamin C) Sliced bread? (plenty of fiber from veggies) Granola bars? (I eat protein bars with 10x the protein in a granola bar) Pasta? I never ate that BEFORE!

Everybody's body is different, and if you can lose weight while eating a lot of high GI fruits and pastas and bread then that's what's right for your body. Those of us who had to significantly cut swaths of high GI items from our diets and it works for us, then good for us.

"Are carbs bad?" is such a loaded and ignorant question. It's barely a valid question.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    This entire thread makes my *kitten* itch uncontrollably...

I wish I could get a gif or video clip of Gordon Ramsay saying "You're making my sh1t ITCH. And it hasnt come out yet..."

I must find this clip!
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Too many calories, regardless of their source lead to body fat. Carbs are the only source of energy that can be utilized by the brain and by red blood cells. They are absolutely essential to life.

No. Carbohydrates are NOT essential to life. You couldn't be more wrong on this.

THIS. They are non-essential.

Carbohydrates are essential to life. They help the brain produce seratonin which makes us happy. If you went 100% carb free you would be very ill. Ask any doctor. That is why the atkins diet does not work. Anyone who thinks you do not need a good balance between carba, protein and fats is just fooling themselves.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/414187-why-do-we-need-carbohydrates-in-our-diet/

Carbohydrates is one of the three macronutrients found in food, along with protein and fat. Each macronutrient has a different role, but all of them provide energy or calories to help your body go through your daily activities. Carbohydrates are actually made up of starches, sugars and fibers and can be found in grains, such as breakfast cereals, rice, pasta, granola bars, baked goods, crackers, legumes, fruits, milk, yogurt and any food that contains sugar.
    Dietary Guidelines
    The "2010 Dietary Guidelines for Americans" recommends that about half of your daily calories, or between 45 percent to 65 percent to be exact, be provided by carbohydrates. This amount of carbohydrates corresponds to between 225 g and 325 g of total carbohydrates, of which 25 g to 38 g should be fiber, based on a 2,000-calorie diet. The carbohydrate recommendation can be met by following MyPyramid, which promotes the daily consumption of 5 to 8 oz. of grains, 1.5 to 2 cups of fruits, 3 cups of dairy and up to 265 calories' worth of sugar or processed foods, based on a 2,000-calorie diet.
    Diabetic Diet Food Chart Discover diabetic diet food chart. Great Diabetic options right here. WeKnowMedical.com
    Sponsored Links
    Carbohydrates Role
    While protein serves as a building block to repair and maintain the integrity of your cells, tissues and organs and fat is involved in the production of hormones and is a constituent of the membrane of each of your cells, the main role of carbohydrates is to provide energy. Some of your body cells, especially in your brain and your red blood cells, prefer to run on glucose, a type of sugar that can be obtained through the consumption of carbohydrates. When you exercise, your muscles can also use glucose as their main source of fuel.
    Low-Carbohydrate Diets
    Many low-carb eating plans recommend restricting your carbohydrate intake below 20 percent of your calories, which corresponds to 100 g or less of total carbohydrates a day. Although it is generally advised that the bulk of your calories be provided by carbohydrates, "the lower limit of dietary carbohydrate compatible with life apparently is zero, provided that adequate amounts of protein and fat are consumed," according to the "Dietary Reference Intakes for Energy, Carbohydrate, Fiber, Fat, Fatty Acids, Cholesterol, Protein, and Amino Acids," published by the Institute of Medicine in 2005. The glucose that is needed by the brain and red blood cells can be manufactured from protein if you reduce your carbohydrate intake. Moreover, if you lower your carbohydrate intake, your body adjusts and switches to using fat as its main source of fuel, providing ketones which can also be used by your brain and various organs as a source of energy. Although carbohydrates provide energy, it is not an essential nutrient if your diet includes adequate amounts of protein and fat.
    Finding The Right Amount of Carbs for You
    Although the recommended carbohydrate intake corresponds to 225 g to 325 g a day, some people benefit from lowering their carbohydrate intake, whether it is to promote fat loss, better manage blood sugar levels or improve blood cholesterol levels. The best way to find out what works best for you is to change your carbohydrate intake, by either increasing or decreasing it, until you find the level that helps you feel energized while helping you reach your weight loss and health goals.
    Atkins - Official Site Lose Up to 15 Pounds in 2 Weeks* Get Your Free Weight Loss Kit Today www.Atkins.com
    Type 2 Diabetes Food Tips Recipes, Meal Planners, and Tools to Help Lead a Healthier Lifestyle. merckengage.com
    Low carb diet meal plan Revolutionary DNA Weight Loss Diet Custom Made & Shipped To You. www.GenoVive.com
    Lose Belly Fat Naturally 3 sneaky hormones destroying your metabolism & how to stop them now. www.RealDose.com/Weight-Loss
    Sponsored Links
    References
    U.S. Department of Agriculture and U.S. Department of Health and Human Services: "2010 Dietary Guidelines for Americans"
    My Pyramid: Food Groups
    "Dietary Reference Intakes for Energy, Carbohydrate, Fiber, Fat, Fatty Acids, Cholesterol, Protein, and Amino Acids"; Institute of Medicine Food and Nutrition Board; 2005
    "Nutrition & Metabolism"; The case for low carbohydrate diets in diabetes management; Surender K. Arora, et al.; July 2005
    "Annals of Internal Medicine"; A Low-Carbohydrate, Ketogenic Diet versus a Low-Fat Diet To Treat Obesity and Hyperlipidemia; William S. Yancy Jr. et al; 2004

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/414187-why-do-we-need-carbohydrates-in-our-diet/#ixzz1rfREfqoR

The human body is able to make glucose as much as the brain needs on a day-to-day basis from other sources. So, AGAIN, carbs are not essential.

From your own article that you originally posted:

"I should mention that the body is not able to provide sufficient carbohydrate to fuel high intensity exercise such as sprinting or weight training and carbs might be considered essential for individuals who want to do that type of exercise."

Ok and what's your point? This is not what we're talking about. We were discussing ESSENTIAL FOR LIFE. That was the argument. Then someone else brought up the argument about how carbs aren't even essential for athletic performance, and then I SAID "An NFL Offensive Lineman is going to have a rough time performing without carbs.".
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    If carbs will cause me to break out with tattoos, I'm not down

:noway:
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options

No. Carbohydrates are NOT essential to life. You couldn't be more wrong on this.

Source of that info?

To save you from reading a wall of text, I'll just post a link for your reading enjoyment.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/how-many-carbohydrates-do-you-need.html

So... you go to the personal blog of an "expert". I am always sceptical of using one piece of info, besides that if you read the whole article you will see that Mr. MacDonald also states that for survival with no physical effort there is no need for additional carbs, but goes on to say that for physical activity your body cannot produce enough carbs.

Not bad for someone who got his BS in Physiological Science (BTW Nutrition is not a required subject at UCLA for this degree, which requires a minimum of C average to graduate).

I am not saying that his theories are not valid but to always question the source of information and if you wish to learn more make it your own project of research. Be aware of soft science and never base your conclusions on one study

I've been reading and studying nutrition for the last 25 years, and as far as I can tell. Lyle McDonald makes more sense than just about anyone else. He is very up front about the pitfalls and risks of any diet approach, and doesn't manipulate the results of studies to make his point. The one thing that I really like about him and his site is that he doesn't push any brand of supplements and doesn't seem like he's in this to get rich. His website is loaded with studies and useful info without pushing products.
    I just joined MFP yesterday, but I didn't come here to pimp Mr. McDonald. I just find his material very
    useful and informative, and I think the people here may also.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options

Source of that info?

To save you from reading a wall of text, I'll just post a link for your reading enjoyment.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/how-many-carbohydrates-do-you-need.html

So... you go to the personal blog of an "expert". I am always sceptical of using one piece of info, besides that if you read the whole article you will see that Mr. MacDonald also states that for survival with no physical effort there is no need for additional carbs, but goes on to say that for physical activity your body cannot produce enough carbs.

Not bad for someone who got his BS in Physiological Science (BTW Nutrition is not a required subject at UCLA for this degree, which requires a minimum of C average to graduate).

I am not saying that his theories are not valid but to always question the source of information and if you wish to learn more make it your own project of research. Be aware of soft science and never base your conclusions on one study

Lyle McDonald and Alan Aragon are considered geniuses in the nutrition AND fitness world.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Lmbo... yes yes yes - to some of you, life is a bore and you wish a little fun, that's all cool. My main point, REAL FOOD - that's it. If it's God made, I eat it... If it's MAN MADE I avoid it.

Complex carbs are GOD made... GOOD!

Carbs - such as what many love and are addicted to, are man made and is responsible for making us obese in the first place, while giving us diabetes, cancer, heart disease, high blood pressure, bad cholesterol, and a multitude of other diseases.

Personally, when I eat real food... I feel great, don't gain weight, nor suffer with the above list - I don't count calories, I eat what I love, and not just meat and eggs. I eat loads of nuts, delicious fresh fruits, green leaf vegetables, peppers and herbs, coconut flour and almond flour makes wonderful HEALTHY breads and desserts, so... I miss nothing. PLUS I get to lose weight and stay healthy... it's a win win.

Good to hear coconut and almond flour are found in nature, where does one find these flours?

And are you going to substantiate your claim fats are the "best" source of fuel for humans, or continue to make things up?

Coconut flour comes from taking the meat of the coconut and grinding it up. Because it's ground down, which I do... from the real coconut... it is real food and I use it to make breads. The same goes for Almond flour. Take almonds, grind them up - but not too much, or you'll get almond butter... which is fine, but if you wishing to bake healthy bread, pulse the almond until it is just find enough to bake it into bread.

As for me, "making things up concerning fats" - do your research. If you truly care so much about your body, and wish to give it the best you can, find out for yourself. I used to WASTE my TIME giving people facts... but I find, when they search for them on their own TIME for their own BENEFIT... they realize... there is a TRUTH out there.

Find the TRUTH for yourself... for your health... or... you can continue to be sarcastic and nasty... another trait of eating man-made carbs... it can cause brain damage and nasty dispositions.

I apologize to all if I came off preachy - I thought we were here to encourage, build up, and share truths about reaching a goal we are all striving for. Good health...

Ciao... my time is precious... I'm not here to out - smart or out wit - I'm here to share certain truths... don't take my word for it, do your homework...

Cognitive dissonance much?

and beleive it or not I have done my research, but you made the claim so the burden of proof is on you. I was particularly interested in you substantiating fat is the best fuel for athletic and cognitive performance

"Find the TRUTH for yourself... for your health... or... you can continue to be sarcastic and nasty... another trait of eating man-made carbs... it can cause brain damage and nasty dispositions. "

or maybe low carb causes nasty dispositions

Post hoc analysis showed that at week 52 the scores on the POMS subscales of anger-hostility (P = .006), confusion-bewilderment (P = .02), and depression-dejection (P = .05) and the TMDS score (P = .001) were significantly lower in the LF group than in the LC group

http://archinte.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/full/169/20/1873#IOI90085F2
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    Lyle McDonald and Alan Aragon are considered geniuses in the nutrition world.

^ This.
  • mslack01
    mslack01 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I watch my carbs. I try to get as many of them as I can from whole grains but I do eat small portions of desserts semi-regularly. I don't drink sugary drinks however or add sugar to foods.
  • lordsangel
    lordsangel Posts: 167
    Options
    Your body requires some carbs but make sure you get the healthy kind. i.e. whole wheat bread vs. white bread, or whole wheat pasta vs the reular pasta. But don't overdo it.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    This thread has all the trappings of a comment trap.

1. Ask question you already have a strong opinion about.

2. Do not express opinion in original post.

3. Wait for juiciest reply, and jump all over them.
    This is so true I printed it out and put it in my Trapper Keeper.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

^ This.

By whom? Laymen reading the internet, or other experts in the field of nutrition?
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Carbs are awesome!

They do not stall weight loss.

They do not turn into fat any more than protein or fat does.

Everyone has his own perfect balance of fat to carbs to protein. You really have to test it for yourself and find out.

But really, can you imagine never again eating mashed potatoes, macaroni and cheese or ice cream!? No? Me either.

I focus on "good" carbs like veggies, fruit and whole grains, but will indulge in the "not so good" carbs on occassion--just to keep me feeling sane.
  • reneegee23
    reneegee23 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I like Swedish fish....
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    To the people who are claiming that carbohydrates are essential (and let me be clear that I'm not a low-carb person), can you define why they are essential, specifically?

When I say essential, I mean required from a biological standpoint, like EFA and EAA.
  • BryGuy2
    BryGuy2 Posts: 244
    Options
    I agree that carbs are essential to life and functioning. It's a big source of energy, so I wouldnt avoid them. The amount you want to eat will depend on your overall goals.
  • Rachel5K
    Rachel5K Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    So carb withdrawal is real? How does the body adapt?

Yes it is real. The body adapts much the same way as a someone kicking a cocaine habit. Sugar (which is what it turns into) activates the same part of the brain that cocaine does as demonstrated on 60 minutes last week. Much like a drug, sugar is hard to get off of for many.

so i shouldn't nix the coke and carbs all at once then. ok.

I am using coke to kick the carbs myself. ;)
  • Sidesteal
    Options

^ This.

By whom? Laymen reading the internet, or other experts in the field of nutrition?

The latter.

Editing since I sound like a douche.
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    For every article one finds against carbs, we can find one for carbs, etc. I personally agree with going more along the Primal Blueprint - or - plants and animals and avoiding the processed stuff. I found in my first week of weaning into that type of eating style, even though I had been on whole grains and more "healthy" carbs, my body went through an almost withdrawal type of symptoms with lightheadedness, nausea, and general irritability, not unlike when I was trying to wean from processes sugars. So, for me personally, I have determined that those carbs are just not good for me. Fruits and vegetables have some natural carbs and those are what work for me, personally.