Your views on 'CARBOHYDRATES'

Options

Replies

• 0EmmeNicole0
    0EmmeNicole0 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I love carbs, and will continue to eat them. Non carb eaters are awesome though. I tend to think people who do things that i cannot do are amazing.
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    You're wrong! No, You're wrong!
    You're misinformed and incorrect.
  • lickmybaconcakes
    lickmybaconcakes Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    I already answered if they were important or not...

They are important but not essentially needed from other sources as you can substitute with the right amount of fat ( has to be a poly over 6)

Still reccommend you eat some though :laugh:
  • SpydrMnky27
    SpydrMnky27 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I feel my best when eating a low carb/high fat diet. Starchy carbs and my body do not mix well.
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Carbs are awesome! I love carbs! I'm getting lean and fit eating 50% carbs, and you'd have to pry my carbs from my cold, dead hands!! Go ahead and live on nothing but meat and eggs if you want to, but it's NOT for me....not EVER. :noway:
  • lbigham1
    lbigham1 Posts: 132
    Options
    I'll have a bread sandwich on wheat.....please. :wink:
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I used to live next door to some carbohydrates. They never took care of their lawn, and I always heard them screaming and yelling at each other. I'm also pretty sure they killed my dog. I can't prove it, but I just know they did.
  • 10KEyes
    10KEyes Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    The OP wanted a carb war. LOL

BTW, in human dietary terminology ESSENTIAL means your body needs it to live but cannot produce it. Aside from essential vitamins, there are essential amino acids and essential fatty acids. The body can produce it's own glucose, therefore consumed carbs are NOT essential. In limited amounts they are nice, but not essential.

Nice and almost impossible to avoid. I think some posters confuse whether they are essential with whether we can practically live without them. If we ate zero carb diets, we'd have to do a lot of supplementing.

That or get exhausted easily, but fruit and veggies can fix that.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Too many calories, regardless of their source lead to body fat. Carbs are the only source of energy that can be utilized by the brain and by red blood cells. They are absolutely essential to life.

No. Carbohydrates are NOT essential to life. You couldn't be more wrong on this.

You sir are absolutely wrong, they are very much an essential part of life.

Dude read some of the other posts, they are not essential. Dietary carbs are not essential. Glucose is essential, but it can be generated without eating dietary carbs.

Everything we need can be generated from non-dietary sources. That doesn't make it ideal.

Your body can't manufacture essential amino acids and fatty acids.

No, but you don't need to eat them to get them.
  • Brandie1029
    Brandie1029 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    :love: Carb junkie here! :drinker: And proud.... of it! hasn't affected my weightloss in the slightest and i usually eat 150+ a day! :noway:
  • thatguy010
    thatguy010 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I've heard that they are the cause of obesity and make you fat. I'm thinking of severely cutting back on them so I can lose weight quick
  • 10KEyes
    Options
    Your body can't manufacture essential amino acids and fatty acids.
    No, but you don't need to eat them to get them.

Hmmm... Now that is a conundrum.
  • 42kgirl
    42kgirl Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    And in this corner...
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    This apple with hummus I'm eating is friggin' delicious. Just sayin'
  • 10KEyes
    Options
    This apple with hummus I'm eating is friggin' delicious. Just sayin'

I like hummus with a big ole stick of crunchy celery. :D Just sayin...
  • MoooveOverFluffy
    MoooveOverFluffy Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Too many calories, regardless of their source lead to body fat. Carbs are the only source of energy that can be utilized by the brain and by red blood cells. They are absolutely essential to life.

No. Carbohydrates are NOT essential to life. You couldn't be more wrong on this.

THIS. They are non-essential.

They may be non-essential, but i feel like dog crap (i.e. brainfog, grouchiness, lethargic) if i don't have some daily. Why is this?

It takes 2-4 weeks to fully adapt to not having them.

So carb withdrawal is real? How does the body adapt?
  • 10KEyes
    Options
    So carb withdrawal is real? How does the body adapt?

Yes it is real. The body adapts much the same way as a someone kicking a cocaine habit. Sugar (which is what it turns into) activates the same part of the brain that cocaine does as demonstrated on 60 minutes last week. Much like a drug, sugar is hard to get off of for many.
  • 42kgirl
    42kgirl Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Hydrocodone. All of the fun, none of the carbs.
  • Mkeyes44
    Mkeyes44 Posts: 14
    Options

I second that you couldn't be more wrong. The BEST fuel ever... is FAT! Please read my blog on the BIG Fat Lie! I am on a high fat, protein and mineral lifestyle change. We can ALL live without Carbs - "manmade" but we cannot live healthy without FAT! I have more energy than I've ever had, and I don't take in hardly ANY Carbs.

I don't eat ANY bread whatsoever! No pasta - at all... no more! No crackers, no processed foods of any kind, no cereals, anything to do with the grain family... it is ALL bad for you. Serves as NO benefits AT ALL!

I don't count calories, I eat what I want as long as it's real food, and all of it is loaded with FAT! The fat that is good for you comes from, butter, coconut oil, olive oil, animal fat -(LARD)- Omega's ie; fish oils, almond oils!

Bad fats - Vegetable oils of any kind - margarine - reduced fat, or lites... these are all man-made and in fact are killing us! Do some research, you'll be shocked at what you'll find.

So far, since January 19th - I've lost 30lbs - eating real foods, and not cutting my healthy fats. I don't eat anything, that says, fat-free, low-fat, or reduced fat... anything that says that... is BAD BAD BAD for you! Stay away. God made fats from animals, nuts, and healthy real foods, are absolutely healthy in every way!

Real foods: Meats, Poultry, Fish, Nuts, Greens and dark berry fruits... to lose weight, and maintain a healthy lifestyle. When I say carbs... I'm not talking about complex carbs - vegetables and fruits... all healthy if not over cooked.

Carbs - unhealthy... is ANYTHING coming out of a box, or a freezer which has a LOOOOONG expiry date on it.

All healthy food sources should be traced back ONCE to it's original source, if you can't trace it back ONCE - don't eat it! But fats, from real foods, are healthy and essential.

Carbs out of a card board box... not! Also... if you can't get to fresh vegetables, as long as you eat grass fed animals, their liver, heart, etc. and meats with fat... you'll be fine - you'll be healthy!

I'm completely confused now, you think carbs only come out of foods that ship in a box?

They apparently also think nuts, fruits and vegetables don't have carbs. Heck, even meat has some carbs. I'm not sure it's possible to eat enough food to live on without getting any carbs at all.

Well the almonds I ate today did ship in a box so...

Lmbo... yes yes yes - to some of you, life is a bore and you wish a little fun, that's all cool. My main point, REAL FOOD - that's it. If it's God made, I eat it... If it's MAN MADE I avoid it.

Complex carbs are GOD made... GOOD!

Carbs - such as what many love and are addicted to, are man made and is responsible for making us obese in the first place, while giving us diabetes, cancer, heart disease, high blood pressure, bad cholesterol, and a multitude of other diseases.

Personally, when I eat real food... I feel great, don't gain weight, nor suffer with the above list - I don't count calories, I eat what I love, and not just meat and eggs. I eat loads of nuts, delicious fresh fruits, green leaf vegetables, peppers and herbs, coconut flour and almond flour makes wonderful HEALTHY breads and desserts, so... I miss nothing. PLUS I get to lose weight and stay healthy... it's a win win.
  • bfitnbfab
    bfitnbfab Posts: 79
    Options

THIS. They are non-essential.

Carbohydrates are essential to life. They help the brain produce seratonin which makes us happy. If you went 100% carb free you would be very ill. Ask any doctor. That is why the atkins diet does not work. Anyone who thinks you do not need a good balance between carba, protein and fats is just fooling themselves.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/414187-why-do-we-need-carbohydrates-in-our-diet/

Carbohydrates is one of the three macronutrients found in food, along with protein and fat. Each macronutrient has a different role, but all of them provide energy or calories to help your body go through your daily activities. Carbohydrates are actually made up of starches, sugars and fibers and can be found in grains, such as breakfast cereals, rice, pasta, granola bars, baked goods, crackers, legumes, fruits, milk, yogurt and any food that contains sugar.
    Dietary Guidelines
    The "2010 Dietary Guidelines for Americans" recommends that about half of your daily calories, or between 45 percent to 65 percent to be exact, be provided by carbohydrates. This amount of carbohydrates corresponds to between 225 g and 325 g of total carbohydrates, of which 25 g to 38 g should be fiber, based on a 2,000-calorie diet. The carbohydrate recommendation can be met by following MyPyramid, which promotes the daily consumption of 5 to 8 oz. of grains, 1.5 to 2 cups of fruits, 3 cups of dairy and up to 265 calories' worth of sugar or processed foods, based on a 2,000-calorie diet.
    Diabetic Diet Food Chart Discover diabetic diet food chart. Great Diabetic options right here. WeKnowMedical.com
    Sponsored Links
    Carbohydrates Role
    While protein serves as a building block to repair and maintain the integrity of your cells, tissues and organs and fat is involved in the production of hormones and is a constituent of the membrane of each of your cells, the main role of carbohydrates is to provide energy. Some of your body cells, especially in your brain and your red blood cells, prefer to run on glucose, a type of sugar that can be obtained through the consumption of carbohydrates. When you exercise, your muscles can also use glucose as their main source of fuel.
    Low-Carbohydrate Diets
    Many low-carb eating plans recommend restricting your carbohydrate intake below 20 percent of your calories, which corresponds to 100 g or less of total carbohydrates a day. Although it is generally advised that the bulk of your calories be provided by carbohydrates, "the lower limit of dietary carbohydrate compatible with life apparently is zero, provided that adequate amounts of protein and fat are consumed," according to the "Dietary Reference Intakes for Energy, Carbohydrate, Fiber, Fat, Fatty Acids, Cholesterol, Protein, and Amino Acids," published by the Institute of Medicine in 2005. The glucose that is needed by the brain and red blood cells can be manufactured from protein if you reduce your carbohydrate intake. Moreover, if you lower your carbohydrate intake, your body adjusts and switches to using fat as its main source of fuel, providing ketones which can also be used by your brain and various organs as a source of energy. Although carbohydrates provide energy, it is not an essential nutrient if your diet includes adequate amounts of protein and fat.
    Finding The Right Amount of Carbs for You
    Although the recommended carbohydrate intake corresponds to 225 g to 325 g a day, some people benefit from lowering their carbohydrate intake, whether it is to promote fat loss, better manage blood sugar levels or improve blood cholesterol levels. The best way to find out what works best for you is to change your carbohydrate intake, by either increasing or decreasing it, until you find the level that helps you feel energized while helping you reach your weight loss and health goals.
    Atkins - Official Site Lose Up to 15 Pounds in 2 Weeks* Get Your Free Weight Loss Kit Today www.Atkins.com
    Type 2 Diabetes Food Tips Recipes, Meal Planners, and Tools to Help Lead a Healthier Lifestyle. merckengage.com
    Low carb diet meal plan Revolutionary DNA Weight Loss Diet Custom Made & Shipped To You. www.GenoVive.com
    Lose Belly Fat Naturally 3 sneaky hormones destroying your metabolism & how to stop them now. www.RealDose.com/Weight-Loss
    Sponsored Links
    References
    U.S. Department of Agriculture and U.S. Department of Health and Human Services: "2010 Dietary Guidelines for Americans"
    My Pyramid: Food Groups
    "Dietary Reference Intakes for Energy, Carbohydrate, Fiber, Fat, Fatty Acids, Cholesterol, Protein, and Amino Acids"; Institute of Medicine Food and Nutrition Board; 2005
    "Nutrition & Metabolism"; The case for low carbohydrate diets in diabetes management; Surender K. Arora, et al.; July 2005
    "Annals of Internal Medicine"; A Low-Carbohydrate, Ketogenic Diet versus a Low-Fat Diet To Treat Obesity and Hyperlipidemia; William S. Yancy Jr. et al; 2004

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/414187-why-do-we-need-carbohydrates-in-our-diet/#ixzz1rfREfqoR

The human body is able to make glucose as much as the brain needs on a day-to-day basis from other sources. So, AGAIN, carbs are not essential.

From your own article that you originally posted:

"I should mention that the body is not able to provide sufficient carbohydrate to fuel high intensity exercise such as sprinting or weight training and carbs might be considered essential for individuals who want to do that type of exercise."