Your views on 'CARBOHYDRATES'

Options

Replies

• RachelsReboot
    RachelsReboot Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Carbs are in everything you eat more or less. We need carbs for our brain to function. Just be smart about what carbs you eat ie vegetables over highly processed bread.

Carbs FTW!

In the absence of carbs, our brains can run just fine on ketones.

We have a winner!
  • JMarigold
    JMarigold Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    NOM NOM NOM
  • Fit_Canuck
    Fit_Canuck Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Everyone is so keen on the Internet for their facts so personally I like this one

http://www.livestrong.com/article/14769-low-carb-diets-affect-your-brain/

"The researchers found that, over the 3 weeks, both groups lost less than 2kg (about 4-1/2 lbs.). In the first week of the diets, when the low-carbohydrate dieters were eating the least amount of carbohydrates (in accordance with Atkins â„¢ Diet guidelines), the low-carb dieters showed impairment of their short-term memory, and their spatial memory (remembering where items belong on a map) was affected negatively.

Just because you "can" do something doesn't necessarily means it's the best balanced and healthy approach. I await the barrage of counter websites :)
  • JMarigold
    JMarigold Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    You know it really is a huge over generalization to think that it was only an increase of carbohydrates and decrease of fat in the food sources of the United States that contributed to the obesity. Also consider the huge amount of processing and chemicals that have been added to the food most people eat. While its hard to any way judge exactly how its affected the country over time I think that its a pretty safe assumption that its added a great deal to this epidemic.

Also not walking to the TV to change the channel . . . and everything that stands for--leading less active lives in general.
  • Lindaj44
    Lindaj44 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Lol...if granola & bread are so essential to health...why did our ancestors (cave men) survive (on plants & mainly meat)? We have grown dependent on them...I eat no bread, pasta, or granola. My zero starch, no sugar & carbs has left me healthy. No longer on migraine mess, no longer on LIFELONG heart meds, no longer on asthma meds, I was taking so many prescribed meds...& I was borderline diabetic. That is no longer the case. I take 1 multi vit, magnesium & a b complex...that's it. A usual day for me is lots of water, high fiber veg, lean meat for lunch, same for dinner...3 snacks in between...2 fruits, 2pc of melba toast. Healthiest I've ever been & that's with a doctor following my eating habits.

I agree! Carbs should come from fruits and veggies. No grains!!
  • PeggyWoodson
    PeggyWoodson Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Too many calories, regardless of their source lead to body fat. Carbs are the only source of energy that can be utilized by the brain and by red blood cells. They are absolutely essential to life.

Part of this is wrong. The correct part is that too many calories lead to body fat. However, Carbs, when decreased, result in the body's need to pull it's energy from the fat you have stored. It forces your body to burn it's own fat for fuel. Thereby resulting in loss of weight. They are essential but to what extent you don't say. Maybe you should do a little more reading on the subject. Low carbohydrate diets work very well for people who have weight to loose. It is a proven fact that people on low carbohydrate diets frequently see their cholesterol and triglyceride levels come back to normal. It has also been reported that the blood pressure is frequently lowered to a normal or more normal level often requiring medications to be adjusted or stopped by the doctor.

So many people just don't understand the whole picture of the low carbohydrate diet. They are biased because they are misinformed.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Too many calories, regardless of their source lead to body fat. Carbs are the only source of energy that can be utilized by the brain and by red blood cells. They are absolutely essential to life.

Part of this is wrong. The correct part is that too many calories lead to body fat. However, Carbs, when decreased, result in the body's need to pull it's energy from the fat you have stored. It forces your body to burn it's own fat for fuel. Thereby resulting in loss of weight. They are essential but to what extent you don't say. Maybe you should do a little more reading on the subject. Low carbohydrate diets work very well for people who have weight to loose. It is a proven fact that people on low carbohydrate diets frequently see their cholesterol and triglyceride levels come back to normal. It has also been reported that the blood pressure is frequently lowered to a normal or more normal level often requiring medications to be adjusted or stopped by the doctor.

So many people just don't understand the whole picture of the low carbohydrate diet. They are biased because they are misinformed.

Maybe you should do some more research on the subject, there is no metabolic advantage to low carb diets, fat oxidation increases on low carb/keto diets due to increased fat consumption not because you're burning more body fat
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

Maybe you should do some more research on the subject, there is no metabolic advantage to low carb diets, fat oxidation increases on low carb/keto diets due to increased fat consumption not because you're burning more body fat

^ Lyle has a good explanation of this I believe.

Also, regarding the improvement of health markers, this typically happens as a result of weight loss. If I recall correctly, even the Twinkie Diet guy showed improved health markers.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Who cares what she eats, get me her number.....

LOL
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Carbs are in everything you eat more or less. We need carbs for our brain to function. Just be smart about what carbs you eat ie vegetables over highly processed bread.

Carbs FTW!

Your brain generally never runs on ketones. It conserves every bit of glucose it can from your body, from the few carbs you actually eat (used directly by the brain) to converting protein to glucose using gluconeogenesis, using either protein you've eaten, or by breaking down muscle tissue to get protein to convert. Only in true starvation will your brain start utilizing ketones for energy.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    Everyone is so keen on the Internet for their facts so personally I like this one

"The researchers found that, over the 3 weeks, both groups lost less than 2kg (about 4-1/2 lbs.). In the first week of the diets, when the low-carbohydrate dieters were eating the least amount of carbohydrates (in accordance with Atkins â„¢ Diet guidelines), the low-carb dieters showed impairment of their short-term memory, and their spatial memory (remembering where items belong on a map) was affected negatively.

Just because you "can" do something doesn't necessarily means it's the best balanced and healthy approach. I await the barrage of counter websites :)

Anyone who has done their homework before taking on a low carb diet would know that most people go through a 'carb flu' the first week because they aren't adapted to burning more fat and ketones to compensate for the lack of available glucose.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options

Carbs FTW!

Your brain generally never runs on ketones. It conserves every bit of glucose it can from your body, from the few carbs you actually eat (used directly by the brain) to converting protein to glucose using gluconeogenesis, using either protein you've eaten, or by breaking down muscle tissue to get protein to convert. Only in true starvation will your brain start utilizing ketones for energy.

Wrong
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Carbohydrates are the spawn of satan.

Carbs FTW!

Can you define "true starvation"?
  • kimhwan92
    kimhwan92 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Lol.
    Caloric deficit= weight loss
    As simple as that.
    No reason to avoid carbs.
    Only reason for moderation is to fit all the essential macros into your diet whilst maintaining the deficit.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Carbohydrates are the spawn of satan.

Um, okay. I'd like to see the scientific evidence to support that!
  • bcattoes
    Options
    The whitetail deer has about the same digistive system as a cow does

Patently false.
    Please explain!

Opps. I stand corrected on the deer. As many as I have skinned I didn't know their stomach had multiple chambers.

But that cracked corn fattens them up real fast!

And you feel that the deer get fat simple because it's corn, rather than because it's an "all you can eat" buffet spread for them?
  • bcattoes
    Options

Anyone who has done their homework before taking on a low carb diet would know that most people go through a 'carb flu' the first week because they aren't adapted to burning more fat and ketones to compensate for the lack of available glucose.

They would also know that for a normal healthy body it's completely unnecessary, except perhaps on a psychological level.
  • HardcorePork
    HardcorePork Posts: 109 Member
    Options

You mean if I have more fat (in my diet) to burn, then my body will burn. more. fat? Imagine that. Who woulda thunk it...lol
  • HardcorePork
    HardcorePork Posts: 109 Member
    Options

FALSE! My brain runs on raspberry ketones. It gives me the concentration I need to create the most excellent pine cone bird feeders.
  • jyotinaik
    jyotinaik Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Agreed. I wish this myth were removed from public minds

No. Carbohydrates are NOT essential to life. You couldn't be more wrong on this.