Ladies - Would you date someone who is divorced?

Options

Replies

• Minoesh
    Minoesh Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    No.

Because I date to get married, and I am not promising "till death" to someone who has already illustrated that marraige doesn't mean that.

Sometimes there are circumstances that warrant a divorce or make it inevitable.

Agreed!! I got divorced after 24 years of saying that I never will - and then got married again to a divorced guy. People change, circumstances change, life has a way of throwing things in your way when you least expect it - and if you go through life thinking that everything is either black or white, you are just setting yourself up for disappointment.
  • mellanieblue
    Options
    Yep.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Yep -- because I would hope that I wouldn't have a stigma attached to me, as I'm divorced too.

Marriages fail.... people learn. I think I'm a better person for my marriage AND divorce. I've learned a lot about myself in the process. I actually tend to favor divorced men over men that have never been married. At my age, almost 40, if a man has never been married it raises a red flag. I know there are reasons, but I tend to shy away from never-married men.

^^^^ That.

The assumption that everyone that is divorced has "baggage" or is somehow "damaged" is insulting and ludicrous. I know PLENTY of single people that have extensive baggage and are all shades of screwed up.

Really. Dumb. Stereotype.

You are, by the way...

Fabulous that is.

*smooches*
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Yep -- because I would hope that I wouldn't have a stigma attached to me, as I'm divorced too.

Marriages fail.... people learn. I think I'm a better person for my marriage AND divorce. I've learned a lot about myself in the process. I actually tend to favor divorced men over men that have never been married. At my age, almost 40, if a man has never been married it raises a red flag. I know there are reasons, but I tend to shy away from never-married men.

^^^^ That.

The assumption that everyone that is divorced has "baggage" or is somehow "damaged" is insulting and ludicrous. I know PLENTY of single people that have extensive baggage and are all shades of screwed up.

You are, by the way...

Fabulous that is.

*smooches*

:blushing:
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    If I were single, yep. Wouldn't want to miss out on Mr. Right just because of his past.
  • MaritaD
    MaritaD Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Curious to your opinion on this one. It seems to be the elephant in the room when it comes to dating.

Absolutely, why not?
  • Temporalia
    Temporalia Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    I am divorced, made some real bad choices, was controlled and abused, almost ran out of the church the day of my wedding, but I didn't so I wouldn't upset anyone.

When I started dating, I told the guys about it and the why (without going into details). I wouldn't mind dating a divorced man. Mine has never been married and has no kids, I guess I got lucky in a way, but I was ready to date someone who was divorced with kids if he was mr. Right
  • kym117
    kym117 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Curious to your opinion on this one. It seems to be the elephant in the room when it comes to dating.

It seems a strange question but perhaps it is because there is only one answer for me (if i was single :laugh:) of course I would, just because you havn't found happiness first time round does not mean you should be written off.
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    all good news.. just a handful of no's. :)
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Well considering the next time I date anyone who is not my husband I would either have to be a widow or a divorcee, I would have to say yes... However, I don't see either of those things happening anytime in the near future.
  • ashmarie484
    ashmarie484 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I think most women probably would , I would. And you are pretty cute so I dont think you would have a problem.
  • AreneeG31
    AreneeG31 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I would... sometimes marriages arent meant to be for whatever reason. I know, Im in one now(going thru separation) and I would hope someone wouldnt push me aside due to the fact I were divorced. Or have children for that matter as well!
  • ShmoozyQ
    ShmoozyQ Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I met and started dating my husband when I was 21 years old, he was 26 and he had been divorced for a few years with no kids. He didn't have any emotional baggage - just a normal guy!
  • gogidget
    gogidget Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Sadly, I was divorced at 30 (Married young, grew apart thing). I find now that people of my dating age have more life experience, which sometimes includes divorce. So, yes, I would date someone who is divorced once. Twice...I'd have to think about the circumstances.
  • mbajrami
    mbajrami Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I think it should depend on the situation, on both ends...male or female.

I hate to think that I would be considered "undateable" or not marriage material, but I have been married twice and cheated on twice. In both situations, after the dust settled, both men apologized and told me I had done nothing wrong. If anything I was TOO giving and TOO caring and I ended up being taken for granted and taken advantage of.

If anything, that just shows I was a poor judge of character and completely naive, not a bad person.

I'm not sure anyone gets married with the intent to get divorced. I definitely didn't expect it to happen either time and I was completely blindsided by the betrayals.
  • lou1618
    lou1618 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Both myself and my hubby were divorced when we met... him twice , me once.....and I have one child he has 2, they were grown 18 and up when we meet...now we have this wonderful happy family with 4 grandbabies to..
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    No.

Because I date to get married, and I am not promising "till death" to someone who has already illustrated that marraige doesn't mean that.

The divorce could have been something beyond his control. He could have gotten dumped by his spouse for example. Maybe he was all on board for 'till death to us part' but the spouse wasn't.
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    My husband won't let me date anymore.

But sure why not?
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options

^^^^ That.

Yep this!! Not too mention there are plenty of screwed up married people out there!
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    I would, and I have. Shoot, I'd date anyone at this point! :wink: