Ladies - Would you date someone who is divorced?

Options

Replies

• sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    No. Because Im married. But otherwise, it would depend on why he was divorced. There is a big difference between a wife that ran off to be a lesbian and infidelity on his part.
  • angelstar77
    Options
    What happens if the spouse left him. He cannot control that.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    No. Because Im married. But otherwise, it would depend on why he was divorced. There is a big difference between a wife that ran off to be a lesbian and infidelity on his part.

This is an excellent point. :)

I remember reading a post in one of those 'Dear Abby' type articles that run in our newspaper. A woman had an affair with a married man. He divorced his wife and married her. Now, five years later, he is cheating on HER.

To my immense surprise the 'Dear Abby' lady pointed out to the woman that; "He cheated on his wife to be with YOU and now you're surprised he's doing it again TO you?"
  • Thesis_gut
    Thesis_gut Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Currently with a guy who's divorced, no problems there. I guess children might complicate the matter. In my (or rather his) case, he and his ex still get along really well, which is an added bonus because it makes me think this is someone who can handle relationships, including when they don't work out, like an adult.

If someone had gotten divorced several times and always in a mess then I suppose it's a different story.
  • ladybarometer
    ladybarometer Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    everyone has there own baggage, I don't think there being married previously should matter much. I dated my ex husband for 10 years, got married for one, and I had to leave because of his... activities. I don't think I should be taken out of the dating scene because of a piece of paper. That'd be silly.
  • monalissanne
    monalissanne Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Yes. As a thirty something, the people that have not been divorced and/or have children are few and far between. I happen to be one of those people that haven't been married or had children, but I would be severely limiting myself if I restricted myself to people in my situation. I know why I'm single and childless, and it's a bit of a double standard, but if I met someone else my age that was in the same position that seemed like a good person I would wonder why no one snatched them up and kept them.
  • Jen32285
    Jen32285 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Sure!
  • iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    At my age if the guy was still single I would wonder what is wrong with him...
    maybe his wife died...IJS
  • WildFlower7
    WildFlower7 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I truthfully think "some" men who have been divorced already, gain a new respect for marriage, learn from their mistakes and grow from them as a man too. I'd personally rather date a divorced man, over a man who has never been married.
  • Tashry
    Tashry Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Curious to your opinion on this one. It seems to be the elephant in the room when it comes to dating.

Absolutely. I am mid divorce now...I'd hate to think that somebody would not date me just because things didn't work out with my ex and I.
  • CaptainAmerica1970
    Options
    YES! I did for 1 1/2 years.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    uh of course
  • booherd
    booherd Posts: 8
    Options
    If I were single, yes. I married someone who is divorced and we've been married for 32 years.
  • iwantahealthierme13
    iwantahealthierme13 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    yes, because I'm not sure if I want to get married and if he didn't want to get married again but just live together it would be okay with me, also if he didn't want kids that would be okay too as long as he liked animals! If he had kids then I'd rethink it, already went through helping a partner through the stress of a custody battle and numerous other things related to his two kids (when I too young to do so, 24-26), our relationship didn't survive it...
  • whitm2103
    whitm2103 Posts: 41
    Options
    I would not but it's nothing against the guy. I just want my first and hopefully only marriage to also be the other person's first marriage. I would hate while in the marriage him thinking or saying "that's how my ex-wife used to do it" or something. I think once I hit 30 my way of thinking about things will change.
  • smiles4deb
    Options
    an ex is the most psychotic woman I've ever known. I don't get why she's that way, she didn't want him anyway... on the other hand, I've been married once before. My ex and I get along great. I consider him one of my best friends... :smile:

Haha that's my story to a T! I get along with my soon to be ex-husband GREAT too. We have put aside our b.s. and realize being in our sons life equally and co-parenting is the best option for all of us. It makes it so easy. I once heard "It takes work to be married but it sometimes takes even more work to be divorced" It's very true. Both require work. Being mean and nasty just creates drama, I'm much happier being friendly!

Exactly! That's a great quote. Our daughter is 20 now and on her own, but it did make those years SO much easier. I actually asked for his blessing when I got remarried last year. :smile:
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I would not but it's nothing against the guy. I just want my first and hopefully only marriage to also be the other person's first marriage. I would hate while in the marriage him thinking or saying "that's how my ex-wife used to do it" or something. I think once I hit 30 my way of thinking about things will change.

So, he probably best not have dated or slept with anyone before you either?
  • ladybarometer
    ladybarometer Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I'm dating someone now, and it's great. I think the key is both parties need to be open and understanding about the situation
  • SarLem81
    SarLem81 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I would. Just because someone isn't right for someone else doesn't mean they wouldn't be right for me. But I would certainly be curious about the reasons behind the divorce and if there are children involved.
  • cattraxs
    cattraxs Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Been there; done that; and after 28 years still wearing his t-shirt: :love: