has a close friend of yours died?

Options

Replies

• muppetsbear
    muppetsbear Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    After both parents pass, it's a very lonely feeling. Mine both passed by the time I was 40.

I lost my dad in 2000 and my mom in November 2011. I've lost many friends to a number of reasons but my parents passing leaves a kind of empty feeling.....and I'm 49.
  • amibeachcomber
    Options
    So sorry you're going through such a difficult time dealing with the death of your best friend. How blessed you were to have such a good friend in your life. I have two best friends that are sisters to me since we were just toddlers and I can't bear to think of them not being in my life. I turned 50 this year and thoughts have come across my mind of one of us getting sick. The two of them have had their scares over the last few years with breast cancer. I've been in the medical profession for over 30 years and see way too much. That's why I am getting serious about a healthier lifestyle and I plan to spend as much time with them as possible.

I hope your days are filled with beautiful memories of your friend and will make you smile when you think of k.

All my best to you. :heart:
  • moodymarble
    moodymarble Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    In the last 11 yrs I've lost my mom (BF in the whole world), my father and 2 sisters. It has definitely been a lot to handle. My mom n sisters were far too young. It just leaves a hole, you know?
  • porcelain_doll
    porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    A close friend of mine was killed by a drunk driver at the age of 15. It has been nearly 17 years but it still hurts to think about it. The woman that hit her got a slap on the wrist, even after speeding off from the scene and trying to hide. I never understood it. The justice system can sure screw people sometimes. That girl would be 32 years old today, just like me. I had not even lost a grandparent or anyone remotely close to me when that happened, so that really knocked me down.

Many times when I get down about my own life, I think of her and how she barely got to have one.

My parents are now in their 70s. I was born when they were a bit older. They are in good health, but even when they die at a "normal" old age, I will still have to live a large portion of my life without them. That thought saddens me because nobody loves you the way a parent does. It's one big reason I have shyed away from taking a job out of state, because I know that I will want this time with them now when they are gone later.
  • sopriti1
    sopriti1 Posts: 6
    Options
    I met my friend during my last 2 years of college, we became very close in a short while---like sisters. I knew that she had a history of GI issues but her health took a turn all of a sudden. She called me and told me that she was in the hospital(where I work) Jan 2011 and that she was gonna have a GI surgery, she had complications from the surgery, and battled with infection and bleeding for 7 months. She was moved from ICU to a step down floor after several months in ICU, and shortly after back to ICU. She was scheduled to start rehab, but she passed away---August 2011. She had a 5 year old son whom she loved dearly. She was a great mother, and friend. It just all seemed surreal b/c she was supposed to make it out of that hospital---we were supposed to go to Dave and Buster's 2 days before she went into the hospital, and during my visits I used to joke with her about her owing me a D&B trip. Her death truly broke my heart, she was 27 years old.
  • gmctech
    gmctech Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Yes, my best friend died when i was 13... We grew up together, he was the son of my moms best friend and was more of a brother to me than my own brother. There's not a single day that has gone by since his passing that i don't think of him, and i mean that... We were inseperable.... He left a void in my life that can never be filled, but as i grew up it helped me to look back and be so thankful for the time we had together. Wow you MFP'ers ask some hard hitting questions... :cry:
  • mama2shi
    mama2shi Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    In the last 11 yrs I've lost my mom (BF in the whole world), my father and 2 sisters. It has definitely been a lot to handle. My mom n sisters were far too young. It just leaves a hole, you know?

Wow, what a heavy burden to carry. God bless, and I pray you find the peace you need. I have had a heavy loss myself, and know that time helps but never seems to heal your heart completely.
  • amibeachcomber
    Options
    Now I understand what people say when you've lost both your parents.....you feel like you're orphaned. I do. Even though I just turned 50, I've lost both my parents. My father passed away last June and my mother in 1996.....just 3 days before my daughter was born. She was born on the day of my mother's funeral, 16 years ago in July.

Life does go on, but until you have experienced that loss and that pain, you never fully realize what it's like to live with that piece of you that's gone. It's never the same again, that's true, but it doesn't mean that life will never be fulfilling again. I experienced that ten fold with the death of my mother and the birth of my daughter. That bittersweet time of my life has taught me so much about myself and about life.
  • skinnybysummer24
    Options
    My friend Jason died when he was 13 from a drunk driver hitting him,
    He and his girlfriend were walking down the road and she ran off into the road to get something & the car came out of nowhere, he ran and pushed her out of the way. She made it, he didn't. :/
  • whitetiger011680
    whitetiger011680 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Just 2 years a friend of mine (who was more like family to me than a friend and I referred to him as my uncle) passed from liver cirrhosis. It was the first time someone I was really close to died. I cried for months over him and still miss him very much. There were many times he was like a dad to me. Maybe because he was my dad's best friend.
    Now I worry about losing my dad who has 2 brain aneurysms. I'm not ready to lose him yet and it scares the he** out of me that with every heartbeat it could be his last.
    I have lost friends through the years. No one that I was really close to, more or less just people I went to school with and called them "friends" because I knew them. It's a harsh reality to see someone your own age in a casket. Was a real eye opener for me.
  • FatgutBgone
    FatgutBgone Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I lost my best friend that I grew up with back in December of 2004. He had a bad infection in his leg from sugar diabetes. He had a sore on his heel for about two years and they were cutting it out a little at a time. I told him to just cut the foot off but he didn't and kept cutting until he finally lost the foot anyway. By then it was too late, he was hospitalized for the infection and he died of heart failure. He was the same age as me 42 at the time. I wish he was here so we could celebrate our 50th birthdays together.
  • USMCConditioning
    Options
    My best friends mom has fought breast cancer for a very long time, got it 3 different times. she lived a very healthy life and did everything above and beyond of what was expected of her. Unfortunately, because of the long term treatment for breast cancer, she got other serious health issues, lungs filled with fluid, got brain tumors, couldn't go anywhere without an oxygen tank.

I was in my doctors office in the waiting room when i got the call from my best friend telling me she passed, i cried uncontrollably, she was the strongest woman i have ever known. she did more for me than my own mother has in my entire life.. I still tear up thinking about her.

R.I.P Kathy.....
  • rpphillip
    rpphillip Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I lost my best friend about 10 years ago, her and her husband were on thier way to a movie when a teenager driving way to fast ran a stop sign and broad sided them. the kid died also. that was in may and in june the same year my younger borthers friend, who was like a brother to me died while working on an electrical light outlet, they were working overtime to get ready for an inspection. it was thier last job and they would be off. that was one of the hardst times of my life. we all worked for the same Hospital and I never liked going to work after that , it just seemed like noughting would ever be fun and so I transfred to one of the other Hospital with in our network. No one will ever take thier place in my heart, I do remember them and the fun we had and what wonderful friends they were. i miss them still to this day and I always will , but life dose go on and we have to also.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Yes...my college roommate my 2nd year of college, who became one of my closest friends. She died in May 1999 from cancer. I was living out of state at the time, going to graduate school, and didn't get to see her before she died, although we talked on the phone and wrote often. Not being able to really say goodbye was the hardest thing.
  • smithrod
    smithrod Posts: 3
    Options
    I've lost a lot of people in my life, but 2 have hit me the hardest. May 15th will be the anniversary for 6 years since I lost my brother. Talked to him on the phone the night before, he headed to work and I never spoke to him again. He went head on with a semi truck. My whole family will never be the same. He would have turned 30 in January... He has a little girl who looks just like him and its painful sometimes. My dad died on February 3rd 2011 on my daugthers 1st birthday. He went to the hospital cuz he was sick and 5 days later died from cancer. I tried to make it to him before he died and missed him by a half hour. I have never felt that kind of pain. I don't think I can ever get past the pain of these two but my family needs me and I need them so that is why I continue to find the things in life that keep me going and make me happy. The love my children show me and give me brings me past any other emotion I feel.
  • duchess_natas
    duchess_natas Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    My best friend Mark killed himself in Oct 1996. I still miss him to this day...it never goes away. I'm sorry for your loss.

P.S. From Aug 2008 to June 2009, I had 8 deaths in my life of people very close and dear to me. Life carries on, painfully sometimes...
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    My father died when I was 17, does that count? Yesterday would have been his 72nd birthday, hope he is celebrating up in heaven.
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    One of my closest friends died on Mother's Day 2009 from breast cancer. She was 36 years old and left behind 3 young daughters. I miss her terribly. This time of year, when I realized that she really was going to leave us and trying to spend as much time with her as I could, makes me sad.
    And my died died unexpectedly August 2006. Every time I take the kids to the pediatrician, I remember the phone call I received while I was driving down that road, and I still feel like I've been hit in the chest.
    I will still think that I need to call them and tell them something or "I'll ask Daddy about that" on occasion.
  • ilvmykidz
    ilvmykidz Posts: 66
    Options
    A very close friend of mine was killed in a very bad motorcycle accident on 4th of July weekend in 2006. He really was the sweetest and most caring person I have ever known. He was taken way too soon. I miss him everyday : (

Very sorry for everyone's losses
  • cathy196051
    cathy196051 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    This year has been awful. Our granddaughter died in Jan., she was 3 years old (cancer). In March my husbands good friend died of cancer, he was 47. This month my father in law and a family friend (age 48) died on the same day, both cancer. The day we buried my FIL my aunt passed away, she was 97. I'm hoping things get better.