Food Diary Snooping... OR Why is your diary CLOSED?!

Options

Replies

• KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I recently just opened my food diary open to my friends. At first I didn't becuase if I had a bad day, I didn't want to share, but I figure the people I add probably want to help me as much as I want to help them, so I opened it to them. I don't really "snoop" though. except for my boyfriend, I have looked at 2 other people, only to see what they are doing to keep the pounds falling of amazingly fast.
  • Ribena145
    Ribena145 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I also have that hangup here. That fear of having a diary full of bad days in an online community full of people who know what the heck they're doing, and eat right, and are proud of tracking it and showing it. Despite knowing it's irrational, I'm still afraid of being judged for still being so off-track.

And oddly, that's one reason I leave mine open. I'm not 100% on-track. I'm moving gradually towards a better-for-me diet. I found it reassuring to read other people's open diaries and realize that not everyone here was perfect either.

I started with mine closed (thinking I didn't eat well) and had looked at a few open ones and realized I eat really well - not perfect - but pretty darn good I think. I also keep it open, hoping that others will see what you can eat (and how much) without going to the golden arches, etc, etc.

On the other hand, who am I to judge others, when what I see that they're eating is only a small snap shot of their lives.
  • drmattski
    drmattski Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    <<Open>>

I find that making the public commitment keeps me honest. I like to think it doesn't influence my choices, but I am sure it does. :happy:

I just try to stick to "Eat it - log it" - so far working pretty well.

The biggest thing about logging is making ME aware of EVERYTHING I consume. It comes down to becoming "mindful" whenever we are contemplating putting something in our mouths. For me, that added "how would this look in my diary?" might be just enough for me to avoid scarfing down a mess o' donuts!

I welcome all feedback!

Cheers,
    Matt
  • Amberetta82
    Amberetta82 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Mine is open. It's whatever. I try.
  • Specialkayrina
    Specialkayrina Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Mine is open from friends .
    I just started my journey into healthy life and I have lots to learn, so I love to look on others people diaries to get new ideas for snacks or meals.
  • blondejillie
    blondejillie Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Mine is open to friends, but I may close it. Since this site s open and searchable on Google, that changes everything to me. I hate that.

Really? Not cool.
  • blondejillie
    blondejillie Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Mine is open, and awash with Red wine.

:love: :drinker: :love: :drinker:
  • rachemn
    rachemn Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Mine is wide open because it helps me stay on track. Sometimes it will actually stop me from eating bad stuff because I don't want my friends to see it!!

I don't spend a lot of time checking out other's diary's because I'm usually checking in to MFP on my phone, but if I'm going through to support other's and the post says that they completed their journal for the day, I won't comment if I haven't actually been able to check out their diary. I don't want to give 'token' support.

I think we're all on here because we want to improve our lifestyle and make changes. We're not always going to make the right choices. I don't ever give harsh criticism, but I might just casually mention something like 'run from McDonalds!'

If they don't like my comments, they can delete me and vice versa. This isn't facebook. I don't actually know any of my MFP friends..though I would like to meet a lot of them! :heart:
  • jessabethheather
    Options
    Mine is open because I find sometimes thinking about my MFP friends reading my diary at the end of the night gives me the little push I need to skip that snack late at night when I am at goal for the day. Being accountable to myself should be most important, but let's be honest, if we have weight to lose, we aren't doing a great job of being accountable to just ourselves.
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I keep mine open to friends now, as no-one other than that seemed to notice or comment on my diary anyway, unless I posted asking about it. Also, I have issues with binge eating sometimes, and bulimia, so I get a bit uncomfortable with having that all open to the public. I am pretty honest in my diary and diary notes and so prefer only those who are friends and who are offering mutual support, to be able to read it.

I tend to rarely look at other peoples' diaries, outside of friends, unless I see something that stands out in a post.
    My diary is pretty boring mostly, anyway.
  • numindan
    numindan Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    My diary is closed because I have so many food allergies and intolerances (and am celiac on top of that). I don't want to deal with well meaning comments suggesting I substitute X food for Y as often Y will be a food that would either make me very ill, or could possibly kill me. I track everything I eat or drink for my reference and to show my family doc/gastroenterologist/dietician if/when they ask what I'm eating. And I state as much in my profile...

That said, I have been known to recommend eating nuts to people looking to up their calorie intake and they're on the "will kill me" list of foods denied to me. Perhaps a case of do as I say, not as I do

I rarely look at anyone else's diary even when they're soliciting feedback. I'm just not comfortable commenting on other's choices.
  • ashreynolds09
    ashreynolds09 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    mine is open to my friends, which I guess I'm not too specific on my friends. I just don't need Joe-Blow with nothing better to do emailing me what's so wrong with my diet. I am well aware that my love for all things sugar is what has led me to be fat! :) I also know that I have come a long way from the way I used to eat to now, and my slip ups are minor compared to what I used to eat. Its a wonder I don't weight about 300 pounds right now, honestly!
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    My diary is closed because I have so many food allergies and intolerances (and am celiac on top of that). I don't want to deal with well meaning comments suggesting I substitute X food for Y as often Y will be a food that would either make me very ill, or could possibly kill me. I track everything I eat or drink for my reference and to show my family doc/gastroenterologist/dietician if/when they ask what I'm eating. And I state as much in my profile...

That said, I have been known to recommend eating nuts to people looking to up their calorie intake and they're on the "will kill me" list of foods denied to me. Perhaps a case of do as I say, not as I do

I rarely look at anyone else's diary even when they're soliciting feedback. I'm just not comfortable commenting on other's choices.

Sounds like we have the same food issues. :)
  • amyreafleng
    amyreafleng Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Open to friends...feel free to add me. I like to see what others are eating...to get ideas...to compare...to make sure I am making the best choices I can! Not to judge...be critical...or belittle
  • shmunster
    shmunster Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Mine is open, I dont really care what people think, I cant change what I've eaten after I've eaten it

I did recently find a comment on a friends wall from someone else commenting on how out of control my eating over easter had been, it shocked me a little and I closed my diary, for about 10 min then I realised what did it matter, I may have over eaten but I had also burnt around 5000 cals in exercise as well lol!
  • gracieabem
    gracieabem Posts: 211
    Options
    Mine is open. I don't have any friends yet, and I cannot say I have had any comments about what I eat, well at least no unsolicited advice.

There are some things that I have eaten in the past week (Easter) that I'm not 100% happy with BUT I'm not going to feel too guilty about it. I will just move on and continue as I am - making healthier choices that are sustainable for a lifetime.
  • straitcrzyMary
    straitcrzyMary Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Mine is open. I like people making comments or suggestions for me. It really does help. I also like looking at other people's diary it gives me different choices of something I might consider to eat.

Its really hard for me to say you are doing a great job if I really can't see what you have done.
  • straitcrzyMary
    straitcrzyMary Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I agree with you Matt. Open....
  • kat82501
    kat82501 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Mine is open because I'm super nosy and I don't want to be a hypocrite ;)
  • mdj1501
    mdj1501 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Mine is open to friends.. I like viewing because I get ideas! Also, if someone has a really good diary then it motivates me to do better. I have a love/hate relationship with popcorn and ice cream.. Although I did move to air popcorn and skinny cow ice cream thanks to seeing it on another diary. If I wouldn't have, I probably would not have thought about it.

MIne is open to friends for the same reason... I love getting ideas from others! And... it holds me accountable for what goes in my mouth.