Eggs - Why do people not eat the yolk?

Options
NetteH13
NetteH13 Posts: 28 Member
So, I've incorporated boiled eggs in my breakfast for quite some time now, but notice that a lot of people throw away the yolk and only eat the egg white. Cholestorol issues perhaps? Whats are the pros vs cons of eating the yolk?

Replies

• tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    some just don't like the taste. and some don't like the added calories.
  • Lukazetta
    Lukazetta Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Too much cholesterol in eggs is a myth: It's true that eggs have a lot of dietary cholesterol—upwards of 200 mg, which is more than two-thirds of the American Heart Association's recommended limit of 300 mg a day. But dietary cholesterol isn't nearly as dangerous as was once thought. Only some of the cholesterol in food ends up as cholesterol in your bloodstream, and if your dietary cholesterol intake rises, your body compensates by producing less cholesterol of its own.
    http://www.health.com/health/condition-article/0,,20259746,00.html

People who know about the myth tend to eat egg whites to get a good protein source w/out the extra calories.
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    Options
    yup... eggs are good for you. just not in large quantities... I love a good poached egg with the yolk just thickened! YUM!!!!
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    My husband ate a 6 eggs scrambled last night for dinner. That is a lot of fat to consume in one meal. I think it worked out to be 45-50g of fat.
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I use one full egg and 5 egg whites every day for breakfast. I don't eat the whole egg because that's a lot of calories - I get more food for less calories with the egg whites
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Just because it contains cholesterol doesn't mean it isn't extremely beneficial. Unless you really hate egg yolks, they are absolutely worth eating. Eggs are one of the most nutritious foods you can eat.
  • Stacyanne324
    Stacyanne324 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    If I am having eggs for breakfast I eat the yolk. But, if is a hard boiled egg i pop it out and toss it. I much prefer the white part in that form so I choose to skip the exta calories.
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    It's high in calories and fat. I will eat them, but try not to eat too many. When I make egg sald, I will use 1 whole egg plus 2 egg whites.
  • TiffLandis
    Options
    The yolk is where all the nutrition is. We raise chickens and the yolks are an amazing deep orange color and so delicious. Also a couple years ago my husbands colesterol was tested and a little high. I switched us to raw milk, real butter, homemade bread, ect. We cut out toxins like store bought ice cream and pop, and I stopped buying cereal. I discovered cereal is one of the most toxic foods you can buy, crazy. Anyway, husbands col. came down 10 pts!! I realize not everyone can go this route, just thought is was worth mentioning that the quality of the food you consume is so important.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    Generally people will complain that the whole egg has too many calories, and at around 70 cals, it's probably the best food a person could eat as far as nutrition is concerned. The cholesterol excuse is based on the hypothesis that cholesterol causes heart disease and why the RDA in the USA restricts consumption, thankfully Canada see's it differently (actually reads current studies) and has no restriction on cholesterol. When you consider that the body has about 35000 mg's of curlculating cholesterol that that 200 or whatever mg's of consumed cholesterol is going to cause heart disease, kinda dumb. Other than genetics, livestyle is what inflences lipoprotein (VLDL, LDL. IDL, HDL) production in the liver the most.
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    it's a waste and eating a full egg is better. The yolk has some protein too.
  • avafrisbee
    avafrisbee Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    don't like hard boiled yolks. I prefer soft boiled, sunny side up or scrambled with onions, bell peppers and maybe a breakfast meat of some sort.

I do like deviled eggs though.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    If you're only eating one egg, the difference in calories and fat isn't that much. But if you plan on having 5 or 6, then the extra calories and fat make more of a difference.

Many people dont like to trhow away a good egg yolk - I'll either use carton egg whites, or give the spare yolk to my dog.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I have high Cholesterol. My mom died at 60 of her first heart attack and I'm 56.
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    It's 70 calories for an egg people -- not 200. Eggs are super nutritious AND they fill you up and keep you full. What else can you ask for? I eat 2 to 3 every single day.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    It's 70 calories for an egg people -- not 200. Eggs are super nutritious AND they fill you up and keep you full. What else can you ask for? I eat 2 to 3 every single day.

Absolutely

Better to just eat the damn egg yolk than allocate those calories to a 100-calorie pack of mini oreos. :)
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    If I am having eggs for breakfast I eat the yolk. But, if is a hard boiled egg i pop it out and toss it. I much prefer the white part in that form so I choose to skip the exta calories.

Me too - I simply don't like the taste of hard boiled yolk (except when mixed with a bit of mayo to make deviled eggs) but if I am frying up a egg I will keep the yolk just a bit runny and eat my egg that way...
  • anima_gemella
    anima_gemella Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I dnt like the taste of hardboiled which is why i never eat em hardboiled only poached or sunny side up....no waste..
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Nobody said it was 200 calories. They were talking about cholesterol.
  • jam3114
    jam3114 Posts: 250 Member
    Options

Many people dont like to thow away a good egg yolk - I'll either use carton egg whites, or give the spare yolk to my dog.

When I used to do Weight Watchers you could have the egg white for no points but it was 1.5pts if it included the yoke - I used to give mine to the dog - supposed to do wonders for their coats ???