Eggs - Why do people not eat the yolk?

Options

Replies

• FruityLoops
    FruityLoops Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I love the yolks, and I used to have 2 eggs for breakfast every day but my GP said I needed to cut back on them because of the fat. I wasn't willing to drop them entirely and found that my supermarket sold egg whites in a carton so now I have scrambled egg whites for breakfast instead to keep her happy! :-) Every now and again though I'll buy some proper eggs for a treat tho ;-)
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I have two whole eggs everyday. Kind of high in fat but it balances out over the day. You need some fat in your diet!
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    My husband ate a 6 eggs scrambled last night for dinner. That is a lot of fat to consume in one meal. I think it worked out to be 45-50g of fat.

I had 9 one morning for breakfast.

I don't have much fat otherwise in a day.
  • shannon_121285
    Options
    Runner's World has a whole article about why you should eat the entire egg! All of the egg's nutrients are in the yolk.
  • cassblue21
    cassblue21 Posts: 207
    Options
    I only eat the yolk of boiled and fried eggs, I hate egg whites. Though I'll happily have them mixed up in an omelette of cake. Takes all sorts :laugh:

This exactly! I have to force myself to include the whites at all when I eat my egg! I normally have to eat an egg with toast anyways or I can't choke it down. But omelets with lots of veggies and some meat are delicious! :)
  • cindylou_21
    Options
    Personally I just don't like the flavor or consistency of the boiled egg yolk. I have switched to egg beaters now, but did enjoy a sunny side up or over easy egg once in a while before that. :love:
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    Mother Nature cries when you throw out the yolk

AMEN!

I bought egg whites... and then decided to go with regular eggs because I found myself needing more calories anyways... plus my "good cholesterol" is a little low and they told me eggs was a great way to get it up... (I also joked that I should order guacamole with my margaritas and the nurse said yes)... so it's a win win.

agreed and I don't know how anyone can eat the egg whites stuff (gag me)
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    Cuz yolks taste yucky!:noway:
  • trybefan
    trybefan Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I know it has already been mentioned, but to reiterate, the yolk contains all of the vitamins and other nutrional value. This can be found by using any search engine. Eat the whole damn thing! :drinker:

(that's what she said)

Couldnt resist!
  • Dinob661
    Dinob661 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I just had eggs for breakfast. I love the yolks. But I might try egg whites by themselves eventually. I've just always eaten the yolks since i was a yunggin'
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    For yolk lovers, I have a creme brulee recipe that uses 12 yolks and no whites.

Long live yolks!

send to meeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
  • bubsmom10
    bubsmom10 Posts: 43
    Options
    It's 70 calories for an egg people -- not 200. Eggs are super nutritious AND they fill you up and keep you full. What else can you ask for? I eat 2 to 3 every single day.

^^ this I promise high cholesterol is not from eating eggs....the burgers and fast food french frys and processed foods is what makes your cholesterol high not an egg lol
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    So, I've incorporated boiled eggs in my breakfast for quite some time now, but notice that a lot of people throw away the yolk and only eat the egg white. Cholestorol issues perhaps? Whats are the pros vs cons of eating the yolk?
    A few different reasons, all stated within this thread. There is nothing inherently evil about egg yolks. They are higher in fat, calories, cholesterol and taste compared to egg whites, so it may be a variety of those factors that cause people to not eat the yolk. Personally, eggs are the single item that would keep me from ever becoming vegan. I'd give up cheese before eggs.

Are you wanting to adjust your calorie intake? Your cholesterol intake? Your fat intake? There are lots of ways to address all of those without changing your egg consumption. Please don't change your diet based on what you notice a lot of other people doing. That is the foundation of the thinking behind fad diets.
  • Jena_72
    Jena_72 Posts: 1,057
    Options
    Fresh (very fresh) beauty's from our hens, I am an egg white person usually but since I have gotten my chickens I have to at least have one of their yolks! So I usually do 1 whole egg and 2 whites, not so much because of cholest. for me but the calories thing.
    vqqo89.jpg
    NOTHING like fresh fresh eggs! And they are so fun to have for the family too! My kids snack of choice is a sunny side up egg! They LOVE them! It is ok eat the yolk there are far worse things we have all eaten, the darker the yolk the better the taste!
    Would a face like this lie to you???? :bigsmile:
    20zptfs.jpg
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    For yolk lovers, I have a creme brulee recipe that uses 12 yolks and no whites.

Long live yolks!

send to meeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

I want this recipe as well... pleeeeease!!
  • SPBROOKS68
    SPBROOKS68 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I just do not like the yolks in boiled eggs. So I throw them away for that reason, but I will eat them in egg salad or deviled eggs...
  • arleylange
    Options
    I LOVE WHOLE EGGS! They are my main protein source, and yolks have vitamin E and the trace mineral choline which is a brain-booster. I'm still nursing my 1 year old and what choline he's not getting from the eggs he eats, I'm hoping he gets from me.
  • JThomas61
    JThomas61 Posts: 892
    Options
    I personlly don't care for the taste of the yolk in hard boiled eggs, nor the texture, blah!
  • jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    It was recommended to me to actually eat 1-2 whole eggs every day by a nutritionist while dealing with my weight issues. I personally feel that natural foods are not to be feared or parted out because of such things as fat and cholesterol, but embraced in their entirety for their high nutritional value. Throw out the fabricated, processed foods if you're worried about calories or cholesterol...those are the ones that usual have very little nutritional value to balance out the fat/calories/etc. and also bring along their nasty little friends with names you can't even pronounce. :)
  • velvetkat
    velvetkat Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    interestingly I have developed a total lack of desire to eat eggs since losing weight. I cant stand the smell of them or the taste. I have tried making omlettes or scrambled eggs etc but just cant eat them.. Now its ok if I have them in say cookies or cake where you dont get the taste or smell.
    At work some of the girls cook the egg whites in the microwave in these special bowls with spray butter and then they plop them on their plate and eat them The smell does me in and then if I see them I just want to puke.
    Not sure what happened as I always liked eggs