Eggs - Why do people not eat the yolk?

Options

Replies

• jsjaclark
    jsjaclark Posts: 303
    Options
    Mother Nature cries when you throw out the yolk

LOL Good one! I agree. I was just getting after my wife for throwing out the yolk of hard boiled eggs when she eats them. I told her that is where all the nutrients are. Completely wasteful, throwing out the yolk.

I like this one. My daughter was making Key Lime pie and it called for egg yolks (no whites). I was making a cheesecake so instead of using the whole egg, I just used the egg whites so they wouldn't be wasted. Did a little to lower the calories in the cheesecake.
  • LadyWingsFan
    Options
    To me, it's a total waste of time separating eggs into yolks and egg whites...especially when eggs are so filling and so healthy for you. The yolk is the healthiest part. Yes, it's 70 calories, but isn't that better than spending it on a non-filling bagel or cereal? I eat my eggs scrambled or devilled. YUM. Egg whites sound totally disgusting to me.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Sadly, people still believe the erroneous bad reputation that eggs have. I love eggs, eat the whole egg (at least 3 or 4 a week) and my lipids are just fine.
  • i_am_asparagus
    i_am_asparagus Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    The yolk is where all the nutrition is. We raise chickens and the yolks are an amazing deep orange color and so delicious.

This. Wouldn't dream of throwing the yolk away, what a waste!
  • L00py_T0ucan
    L00py_T0ucan Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options
    Mother Nature cries when you throw out the yolk

...and I always eat the yolk because I have a Vitamin D deficiency. :wink: :laugh:
  • Saffyra
    Saffyra Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    For me, the only thing that causes me to eat eggs is the yolk. I hate egg whites so much just looking at them gets my gag reflex going :D

I have to eat my eggs scrambled (and REALLY scrambled) and they have to be yellow or else I just can't do it.

For some reason this doesn't translate perfectly because I love Egg Salad Sandwiches.

I'm weird.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Egg yolks are gross. :happy:
  • TitanGM
    TitanGM Posts: 1,161 Member
    Options
    I eat egg with yolk, but not in large amounts. The problem for me is that, the whole egg with yolk is is high in calorie, while eating egg whites I can take pure protein with much lesser calorie intake, which is perfect when you follow a dietary plan. Egg's cholesterol is from a nature source, so in controlled amounts it is good for you (I'm not saying to eat 10 whole eggs with yolks because it doesn't make any damage)
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    So, I've incorporated boiled eggs in my breakfast for quite some time now, but notice that a lot of people throw away the yolk and only eat the egg white. Cholestorol issues perhaps? Whats are the pros vs cons of eating the yolk?

Calories
  • jnbud2002
    jnbud2002 Posts: 216
    Options
    I had 2 hardboiled eggs with me at work yesterday and now after reading this, I wish I brought 2 today! haha, I also, like others, love me some yolk! Specially sunnyside up or over easy. My kids don't like the yolk when the egg is hardboiled and it makes me sad, haha. I think they're a steal for 70 cals each! Although, to not have an extreme omelette/scrambled for bfast we put a few regular eggs and then mix the egg white carton with it. That way I can still have some breakfast meat too! I :heart: me some protein! To each their own I spose.
  • Crystalchaos72
    Options
    I LOVE eggs! I eat 4 fried over toast at a time:)
    Once I had that 4 hours before a "fasting blood test" to check my cholesterol and it was 135........and that was when I was still 268#
    I eat the whole egg, the whites by themselves are icky in my opinion
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Whole eggs all the way here! Mother Nature crying and all that as Acg67 said!
  • kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Personally I'm really stingy with money so to throw away half of every egg seems ridiculous. Even if I'm baking I save the yolk for something else later on (my bf gets egg yolk omelets)
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Too much cholesterol in eggs is a myth: It's true that eggs have a lot of dietary cholesterol—upwards of 200 mg, which is more than two-thirds of the American Heart Association's recommended limit of 300 mg a day. But dietary cholesterol isn't nearly as dangerous as was once thought. Only some of the cholesterol in food ends up as cholesterol in your bloodstream, and if your dietary cholesterol intake rises, your body compensates by producing less cholesterol of its own.
    http://www.health.com/health/condition-article/0,,20259746,00.html

People who know about the myth tend to eat egg whites to get a good protein source w/out the extra calories.

This. I tried to do without the yolk, but it didn't taste good, and I wasn't getting enough protein without it. Now, if I can't eat the yolk, I won't eat the egg.
  • flstarlady65
    Options
    I just finished my mid morning snack...a hard boiled egg. I enjoy eggs in most forms but don't over enduldge.
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Eggs are like the perfect food. I eat them every day. I eat them fried, scrambled, deviled, filled with other animals (omelets), hard boiled, and in sandwiches with ham and cheese. I am not afraid of fat or cholesterol. The only time I don't eat yolks is when I eat them hard boiled and give the yolks to my puppy instead. But that is just because I don't like the solid yellow on hard boiled eggs, never have.

Lately we've been getting duck eggs from my in-laws and man are those awesome. They make extremely rich omelets. They are also perfect for over-easy, as they are mostly yolk. Chicken eggs are mostly whites, but duck eggs have more yolk and less whites.
  • sjmgde
    sjmgde Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    i just ate a harboiled egg for 70 calories not sure where everyone is coming up with a lot of calories but i love the whole egg
  • mrsmel55
    mrsmel55 Posts: 168
    Options
    My hubby and I are needing to lower our cholestorol. He had a heart attack a few months ago. He's 60. I thought I was doing a good thing by eliminating the egg yolks. I have been feeding him Egg Beaters ( he likes it). He used to eat a lot of eggs. MFP sets your level at 300...one yolk takes up most of that.
  • missjojo31
    missjojo31 Posts: 150
    Options
    I love the yolk, sometimes i remove it but more often than not i eat it.
  • prettygirlhoward
    prettygirlhoward Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Too much cholesterol in eggs is a myth: It's true that eggs have a lot of dietary cholesterol—upwards of 200 mg, which is more than two-thirds of the American Heart Association's recommended limit of 300 mg a day. But dietary cholesterol isn't nearly as dangerous as was once thought. Only some of the cholesterol in food ends up as cholesterol in your bloodstream, and if your dietary cholesterol intake rises, your body compensates by producing less cholesterol of its own.
    http://www.health.com/health/condition-article/0,,20259746,00.html

People who know about the myth tend to eat egg whites to get a good protein source w/out the extra calories.

Thank you for posting this!! I tell people this all the time and they always tell me "Well my doctor told me!" Why if your doctor told you that then that must be something in regards to their own health conditions but doesn't mean I can't or won't eat them! I love eggs! :)