• EmCeeKayla
    EmCeeKayla Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Yeah I still won't eat the yolk. I don't like it. haha
  • ashprather
    ashprather Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    What an eggcellent post!

I couldnt have laid it out better myself.

Glad you didn't chicken out on this one.

:flowerforyou:

i see what you did there... X3
    haha
  • rbbrrmqn
    rbbrrmqn Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    THANKS for posting this!!
  • jaysonhijinx
    jaysonhijinx Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Read that article ages ago as I'm signed up to Mike Geary's "The Truth About Abs" newsletters.

I've had the whole debate with a friend at work who's started a new healthy eating and exercise regime. He only eats the egg whites as he wants the protein that it contains but doesn't want the cholesterol. I've tried explaining that the yolk is the best part of the egg and is very nutrient dense but my words were never good enough so I've emailed him the article xD

I personally always eat the yolk no matter how I'm cooking my eggs. Most evenings after dinner I'll beat 2 eggs and throw in some diced up ham, tomato, bell pepper, sauteed mushroom and cheese ready to toss in a fry pan in the morning. An absolutely delicious way to start the day and feel full for hours!
  • loly1
    loly1 Posts: 3
    Options
    The doctors says to eat whole eggs no more than twice every week.... is it true????
  • tarak83
    tarak83 Posts: 40
    Options
    I eat whole eggs for breakfast/brunch at least 3 times a week... I could never eat just the whites... I'd have nothing to dip my toast in! :)
  • LauRoxx
    LauRoxx Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!!!!

If this were facebook I'd "like" x1000 and share. I hate it when people tell me that it's awful that I eat the entire egg.
  • el8942
    el8942 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Guys, this is just not true. As a scientist, I am a little frightened that more people have not looked up the data on this and taken issue with his statements. (Did you notice he doesn't actually cite the "studies" he references, so you can't directly fact-check him?) If you are concerned about your health, ignore this man. You're really going to take the word of a nutritionist over the recommendations of the American Diabetes Association, the American Heart Association, and your doctors? Look, eating whole eggs might be fine if you are not watching your cholesterol, but actually the link between dietary cholesterol and high blood cholesterol is quite well established. So is the link between high cholesterol and heart disease. High cholesterol doesn't mean you will definitely get heart disease, but it sure does raise your risk, just like smoking raises your risk for lung caner. This is why dietary change is one of the first steps for people with high cholesterol.

TL;DR If you have to have those extra nutrients from the whole egg and aren't watching your cholesterol, knock yourself out. But But if your cholesterol is high or borderline, then actual studies done by actual scientists and recommended by actual doctors (not self-proclaimed nutritionists) say you should not be eating egg yolks, or any other high cholesterol food, on a regular basis.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Guys, this is just not true. As a scientist, I am a little frightened that more people have not looked up the data on this and taken issue with his statements. (Did you notice he doesn't actually cite the "studies" he references, so you can't directly fact-check him?) If you are concerned about your health, ignore this man. You're really going to take the word of a nutritionist over the recommendations of the American Diabetes Association, the American Heart Association, and your doctors? Look, eating whole eggs might be fine if you are not watching your cholesterol, but actually the link between dietary cholesterol and high blood cholesterol is quite well established. So is the link between high cholesterol and heart disease. High cholesterol doesn't mean you will definitely get heart disease, but it sure does raise your risk, just like smoking raises your risk for lung caner. This is why dietary change is one of the first steps for people with high cholesterol.

TL;DR If you have to have those extra nutrients from the whole egg and aren't watching your cholesterol, knock yourself out. But But if your cholesterol is high or borderline, then actual studies done by actual scientists and recommended by actual doctors (not self-proclaimed nutritionists) say you should not be eating egg yolks, or any other high cholesterol food, on a regular basis.

here is a study for you: Fernandez ML. Dietary cholesterol provided by eggs and plasma lipoproteins in healthy populations. Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care. 2006;9:8-12.
  • joytron
    joytron Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing, OP. I eat several (whole) eggs a week, and always felt vaguely guilty, but this article has given me more perspective. And I must say, I am SUPER-jealous of all of you people commenting who have chickens in your backyards. CHICKENS! IN! YOUR BACKYARDS! The mind blows ...
  • leo4js
    leo4js Posts: 22
    Options
    I also mix it up. Whole egg w egg whites. a nice omelette w lots of veggies!!!!! Yummy
  • BodyElectric1
    BodyElectric1 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I eat eggs whole because I feel it's wasteful to throw away the yolk. Though sometimes if I poach eggs (I normally eat 2 if I poach eggs) and the yellow is too dry I'll only eat one whole and the white of the other only.
  • hazelsmrf
    hazelsmrf Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Guys, this is just not true. As a scientist, I am a little frightened that more people have not looked up the data on this and taken issue with his statements. (Did you notice he doesn't actually cite the "studies" he references, so you can't directly fact-check him?) If you are concerned about your health, ignore this man.

Here's a study:

http://www.jacn.org/content/19/suppl_5/495S.full?ijkey=0ab0794f556952f3ef0905d7a48c08fd445e5913&keytype2=tf_ipsecsha
  • el8942
    el8942 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Actually, in that study, they did find a relationship between egg consumption and diabetes.

As I said before, eating whole eggs on occasion, if you are healthy, is great! However, having a high consumption of eggs is not a good idea, especially if you already have risk factors for diabetes or heart disease. Here are 3 recent studies.

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/32/2/295.short

http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/117/4/512.full

http://www.ajcn.org/content/87/4/964.short
  • kadins_momma07
    kadins_momma07 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Om nom nom - I'm going to continue to enjoy my delicious 2 whole egg chive, salt and pepper omelette :D

That sounds good! I think I'm going to have to try that! I never buy chives for some reason. Maybe I'll start :)
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Actually, in that study, they did find a relationship between egg consumption and diabetes.

As I said before, eating whole eggs on occasion, if you are healthy, is great! However, having a high consumption of eggs is not a good idea, especially if you already have risk factors for diabetes or heart disease. Here are 3 recent studies.

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/32/2/295.short

http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/117/4/512.full

http://www.ajcn.org/content/87/4/964.short
    Those were 20 year follow up randomized studies using questionaires. Diet pop is associated with weight gain, I read it in a study. You seriously need to expand your research.....try finding contrary data.......it makes for a more balanced opinion.