Bully

Replies

• neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    I've dealt with it to a smaller extent. Usually, I'm just stupid, and I stand up to them, so it never lasted long. I'd always wind up in a fight with them, and one of two things would happen, they'd turn into a big p@ssy, and run away or whatever. Or, we'd actually fight,a dn I would gain mad respect after that. I never put up with it for long, but it did happen to me once in a while.

As an example, in 5th grade, this guy would ask me for my lunch money everyday. This went on for about a week. One day, I got In a fight with him, that same day, he saw me walk into the bathroom, he walked in behind me and pulled out a screw driver to stab me. I told him that he better make sure he digs it in deep otherwise I'm gonna kill him. He laughed and backed down and never bothered me again. Stuff like that used to happen throughout my school years. Luckily, I never felt like a victim. But, I could see how it could happen if you weren't angry and pissed off, and had a heightened sense of badass in you. I wasn't. I was scrawny and weak. I just didn't put up with sh@t from anyone. But, the reason they picked on me was because I was always a little different. I don't quite fit in. Still don't.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,749 Member
    I was bullied a little bit as a kid but back then we just called it "being picked on". I bullied someone once in my entire life in forth grade. There was a new girl and she was weird and I went along with my "clique" and ganged up and made fun of her on the play ground. I knew it wasn't right and I felt bad doing it. We all got a talking to from the teacher and I actually ended up being friends with the girl.

I don't have any children but the things I hear about bullies now days is just heart breaking and ridiculous. It is so much worse than when I was in school. I mean the worst that happened to me was I got shoved up against the lockers a bunch of times, went to my guidance counselor, we had a sit-down meeting the three of us and that was it. Kids are brutal now days and in all honesty I can't help but blame the parents. I truly believe that if a child is a bully at least one parent is one as well and that's where they learn it from. They see their parent acting that way and think it's ok. I also think that some parents don't understand how serious the bullying is and think "Oh, just ignore it." when it's difficult for them to do that.
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    I was bullied as a child during my middle school years. That was harsh....

My poor son is getting it now because he is special needs, breaks my heart and I am trying to battle the school about getting him in a special class. :(
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    I was bullied. I may have been a bully.
    I believe the current interest in bullying is being brought about by adults attempting to re-litigate the pains of their own growing up.
    I'll help my kids get through it, should it happen to them, but let's face it. It's a fact of life, and one should learn strategies to deal with it as early as they can.
  • FlyByJuly
    FlyByJuly Posts: 564 Member
    I was "mildly" bullied by one girl from elementary school on into junior high. I think it was because I was so shy. She finally stopped bullying me around 8th grade. I'm not sure, but I think it was because none in her group of friends would participate with her. She had moved into the cheerleader/popular girl status, and the others in her clique were actually friendly girls. I think my bully finally realized that she was the one on the outside looking in this time.
  • Maude_Lewbowski
    Maude_Lewbowski Posts: 395 Member
    I was so horrifically bullied as a child and it, along with other factors in my life have cause me to develop PTSD. Yes, like our war vets get. IMHO it's devastating and I am glad to see that as a nation we're finally addressing it. Yes, we'll have nay sayers and those who take it too far in the other direction but, at a baseline this is something that needs to stop. It affects peoples lives far beyone the school yard, or the front yard for that matter.

Thanks for bringing this up, kudos to you!
  • Maude_Lewbowski
    Maude_Lewbowski Posts: 395 Member
    I was bullied. I may have been a bully.
    I believe the current interest in bullying is being brought about by adults attempting to re-litigate the pains of their own growing up.
    I'll help my kids get through it, should it happen to them, but let's face it. It's a fact of life, and one should learn strategies to deal with it as early as they can.

DISLIKE
  • Masterdo
    Masterdo Posts: 331 Member
    Me and my brother were bullied quite badly throughout elementary school. It kinda stopped during high school though, we were lucky in the transition I guess (maybe it's because most bullies didn't make it pass elementary school the first time, lol)

Still, the blessing of the Internet nowadays gives bullying victims the upper hand after a few years. We had a pretty cruel session where we actually searched for these people, be in on Google or facebook. About 25% of them are in jail or even dead... (A particularly nasty pair of brothers really messed our childhood, one of them got beat to death over a drug deal, and the other one is in jail for 25+ ...). The remaining bullies are really getting nowhere and fast. We didn't enjoy it as much as we thought, we ended up feeling sorry for these guys, which is probably why we were victims in the first place :p

There is still some trace of satisfaction knowing that I graduate in a few days, and those guys can't spell University.
  • mdsjmom98
    mdsjmom98 Posts: 333 Member
    MaraDiaz - The local police wouldn't even prosecute the kid. And when we checked for lawyers to take our case (our medical bills exceeded $7,000) they said they couldn't take the case unless there was criminal charges filed. The reason my son was beaten up by this boy is because in pe class the boy was smacking freshmen, punching other kids while playing. My son, defending these freshmen, told the boy to knock it off, and confronted him. The police asked my son, as he's laying there bleeding, and can't even breathe out of his nose, if he hadn't confronted the boy does he think the boy would've attacked? My son said No, and the fat stupid cop stood up and said, We're done here, and walked out. A few days later, the well to do family this boy comes from sent some of their henchmen to threaten us by vandalizing our vehicle, and even sent a "mutual" friend to threaten us in person.

I have forgiven a lot of people in my life for wrongdoing, but I will NEVER forgive this boy for taking my son away from me.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    I was so horrifically bullied as a child and it, along with other factors in my life have cause me to develop PTSD. Yes, like our war vets get. IMHO it's devastating and I am glad to see that as a nation we're finally addressing it. Yes, we'll have nay sayers and those who take it too far in the other direction but, at a baseline this is something that needs to stop. It affects peoples lives far beyone the school yard, or the front yard for that matter.

Thanks for bringing this up, kudos to you!

I asked my family doctor if being bullied for years could cause PTSD and he laughed at me! :mad:
  • 10KEyes
    10KEyes Posts: 250 Member

so just wondering anyone dealt with bullying growing up, or even with their kids now??

I dealt with it a couple of times during my middle school years. As an adult have spent quite a few years in martial arts. When my son was young, I taught him that if someone physically attacks you to respond and shut them down, only if they physically attack him. I told him that words mean nothing and he should always try to avoid violence. However, it is his responsibility when his parents are not around to protect himself from physical harm and he should act immediately and swiftly to shut the threat down. I told him do not do any more than is necessary and certainly no less. Additionally, I told him to then tell the teacher afterwards and if he gets into trouble for defending himself at school, that is fine, he wouldn't be in trouble at home and that teachers don't protect you, they simply mop after it is over. Bullies do not attack when teachers are around.

As he got older and could understand morality and have empathy/compassion, I began teaching him our art which is weapons based but is easily applied to empty handed, so he is learning how to defend himself from weapon attacks as well as empty handed. He is in high school now and a good student, not a bully, and at 6' 5" he has not been victim of a bully in high school, but did experience some in Middle School. He is a cheerful young man who has a comedian streak and who is responsible, moral, and makes me proud every day!

Lastly, I do thoroughly enjoy seeing a bully get what he deserves!
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    I was bullied as a kid... I was the smallest, I was a girl, and I was an enlisted officers kid.... yeah, not fun times riding the bus or even going to school sometimes... but people stopped messing with me when I started defending myself... Even if I would be the one that got caught...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,901 Member
    I was a nerdy kid growing up and distinctly remember being bullied by 2 guys. Other times I was just teased by being called "4 eyes" and "*****" (I'm not Chinese). I do think that most bullying originates from home life and last night at my daughters school they held a seminar on it in the cafeteria. My wife went to it since I had to instruct class, but she took a lot of notes on the information given.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    MaraDiaz - The local police wouldn't even prosecute the kid. And when we checked for lawyers to take our case (our medical bills exceeded $7,000) they said they couldn't take the case unless there was criminal charges filed. The reason my son was beaten up by this boy is because in pe class the boy was smacking freshmen, punching other kids while playing. My son, defending these freshmen, told the boy to knock it off, and confronted him. The police asked my son, as he's laying there bleeding, and can't even breathe out of his nose, if he hadn't confronted the boy does he think the boy would've attacked? My son said No, and the fat stupid cop stood up and said, We're done here, and walked out. A few days later, the well to do family this boy comes from sent some of their henchmen to threaten us by vandalizing our vehicle, and even sent a "mutual" friend to threaten us in person.

I have forgiven a lot of people in my life for wrongdoing, but I will NEVER forgive this boy for taking my son away from me.

That is sickening! I don't see why you can't sue the school for not supervising the kids and preventing a fight in the first darn place. Everyone is crying because there aren't enough jobs to go around? Fine, I say we should hire people to monitor these kids, since there obviously aren't enough adults to do it!

I'm so furious about this I don't even know what to say. I almost took a beating on the last day of Summer School (math fail!), there were thirty or forty girls outside waiting to beat me up. I started walking, didn't look right, didn't look left, and made it past them. If I'd stopped, exchanged words, tripped, or made eye contact, I would have been in deep trouble. I'm sorry to say our species needs to get a lot further away from our animal origins or good riddance if we nuke ourselves back to sticks and stones.
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Have y'all seen that show on MTV called Bully Beatdown? It is awesome. The bully gets his *kitten* handed to him by a MMA fighter. Love it.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    I was a bully... but I mostly bullied bullies, so that makes it OK, right?
  • 1546mel
    1546mel Posts: 191
    I think that the "good" kids are too scared to defend themselves anymore as people are getting expelled from school for fighting, so now they just take it and take it until it depresses them because they feel like there is nothing that they can do. I was bullied when i went to school, eventually smacked one kid in the face, and they started leaving me alone after that. My dad cheered me when i got home! :) My kids accept everyone for who they are, black, white, asian, handicap, mexican, whatever, and i encourage it. My son even introduced me to one kid at his school: "This is my friend _____. He has a special hand :)" The child had a deformed hand with odd fingers and it was pretty scary looking, but my son accepted it right away and made it special :) Both my kids are quick to comfort and give hugs and I do not think i have ever heard them make fun of anyone! (they are 4 and 7 about to be 5 and 8) THere are also a lot of families out there that are having kids and not paying attention to them, so they find other ways to get attention, especially in school, by bullying and making a name for themselves. Its sad.
  • 10KEyes
    It takes 7-9# of force to break a person's nose. No matter how "weak" a person is, if they can break their opponent's nose they stand a good chance of winning the fight. I've seen many bullies get their azz beat by picking on the wrong person. One thing they tend to forget is there is always someone stronger and better than they are out there. Be careful who you pick on.

Absolutely! Bullies often only understand one thing, force and violence! They usually cannot handle what they dish out!

The biggest problem is that the victim simply does not know what to do and is largely afraid of getting into trouble. They need to be reassured they aren't going to get into trouble (at least by anyone that matters) for defending themselves. Next is teaching them the "how to" and "when to", because they don't know what to do. I firmly believe this builds confidence. Most kids don't want to be violent, but sometimes it seems violence is all some understand.
  • JanetLM73
    JanetLM73 Posts: 1,226 Member
    My son was diagnosed at 4 as ADHD. He endured over 7 school years of bullying. He was small as a freshman, barely weighing in at 100 lbs and 5'2" The summer between his freshman and sophomore years, he grew 6 inches, and put on 60 lbs. He was unrecognizable when he returned to school his sophomore year. People started to be nicer to him, accept him a little more, but unfortunately for him, the damage was done. While he was not mean to them, any gesture of kindness they made to him he rebuked. They asked him to hang out, he turned them down due to 7 years of teasing and abuse.

His senior year, he was beaten so badly he almost died. The doctor said if he had been hit 2-3 more times, he would've died. His face was smashed in, he had broken ribs, a broken nose, and a gash on his head requiring stitches. The boy jumped him from behind in the locker room. It took 4 boys to pull this kid off. The boy was never disciplined, not even by the school. As a result of this beating, he suffers from memory loss, and other effects. We have lost the carefree, fun loving child he use to be. Now he's moody, and angry most of the time. He doesn't get out, he will not socialize, he is very much a recluse. That bully stole my child from me, and while I know that I am supposed to forgive, I will never forgive this boy. I hate him with every fiber of my being.

Thanks for reading friends.

Your post made me cry. I have a 13 year old son who is the size of a 8 year old, he is tiny for his age and is seeing an endocrinologist, on top of it he suffers from terrible anxiety. I'm terrified when he is goes to high school in 2 years. He has been at the same school since jk, so he's grown up with the same kids, but it'll be different once it's time to go to high school.
    I'm so afraid that he is going to get bullied.

Some kids are so cruel, I was bullied for having red hair....the girls were pure evil.
  • 10KEyes
    Have y'all seen that show on MTV called Bully Beatdown? It is awesome. The bully gets his *kitten* handed to him by a MMA fighter. Love it.

Yes, it is a great show. However, I think it is a bit contrived.