Bye Bye Death Penalty

Options

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Being pro-choice and opposing the death penalty are not mutually exclusive. They are two entirely separate issues that have zero overlap, unless of course you're uninformed and looking to advance a muddled agenda.

Nice try, yourself.

So wait a second, just so I understand, killing a fetus, which will become an innocent baby human being is ok, but killing someone that is already born, and has done horrible things to other people is NOT ok? I don't have an issue with emergency contraception, or abortion in the cases of rape (mostly because of the trauma inflicted on the mother, and the loathing that would likely be placed on the child), but I'm still baffled how sparing the life of a criminal low life is better than sparing the life of a child?

Not to sidetrack the discussion into another equally contentious issue, but your entire comment is based on a false premise.
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Where I live, in DuPage County, Illinois, not only did the prosecutor lie and deceive to produce a conviction, he continued to assert that the defendant was guilty after he was cleared by DNA evidence--because he "seemed" suspicious.

Best part---the prosecutor was later a republican (of course) nominee for governor.

Yeah, left wingers NEVER do anything wrong (Hitler, Stalin, Mussolini, Mao, etc, etc) except when they commit major human attrocities....

Fact of the matter is that the Chicago area is a corrupt den of thugs that run your city and state. That prosecuter should have been thrown in jail himself, but probably wasn't because, hey that's Chicago politics.
  • Marll
    Options
    Being pro-choice and opposing the death penalty are not mutually exclusive. They are two entirely separate issues that have zero overlap, unless of course you're uninformed and looking to advance a muddled agenda.

Nice try, yourself.

So wait a second, just so I understand, killing a fetus, which will become an innocent baby human being is ok, but killing someone that is already born, and has done horrible things to other people is NOT ok? I don't have an issue with emergency contraception, or abortion in the cases of rape (mostly because of the trauma inflicted on the mother, and the loathing that would likely be placed on the child), but I'm still baffled how sparing the life of a criminal low life is better than sparing the life of a child?

Not to sidetrack the discussion into another equally contentious issue, but your entire comment is based on a false premise.

The false premise of what exactly? That a fetus turns into a human? I'm pretty sure biology has that one sewed up.

But you're right, let's not get off, and get back to the death penalty.
  • Ruger2506
    Ruger2506 Posts: 309 Member
    Options

I guess because we value human life more than a dog's life. That's a good point though.

Depends on the human and dog. I know some humans that I would shoot before I would shoot my dog.

It's not like there is a shortage of humans on the earth. We can spare a few hundred thousand without any negative effect. In fact getting rid of a few hundred thousand pieces of trash would probably do us good. More resources for those of us who can play nice.
  • Marll
    Options

I guess because we value human life more than a dog's life. That's a good point though.

Depends on the human and dog. I know some humans that I would shoot before I would shoot my dog.

It's not like there is a shortage of humans on the earth. We can spare a few hundred thousand without any negative effect. In fact getting rid of a few hundred thousand pieces of trash would probably do us good. More resources for those of us who can play nice.

Agreed, most dogs are more loyal, forgiving and friendly than people, and most deserve much more than what they get.

One program that I think is great is when they have convicts do something useful like foster and train dogs, good for the animal and good for the people as well. Not all criminals are beyond help, most people deserve a second chance, there are some crimes though that are inexcusable.
  • Ruger2506
    Options
    It is funny this topic came up. I was watching a show today on learning channel where they were talking to convicts. One guy flat out said he needs to be imprisoned for life. He was ok with raping and killing. And some of you want to keep him alive. What for?
  • Marll
    Options
    It is funny this topic came up. I was watching a show today on learning channel where they were talking to convicts. One guy flat out said he needs to be imprisoned for life. He was ok with raping and killing. And some of you want to keep him alive. What for?

I've never understood that myself. It seems to be a very typical left wing ideal to keep these types of people alive, to give them better and better living conditions on the backs of working people paying for it. To try to get them parole, so they walk the street again, to attempt to restore their right to vote, to force employers to hire convicts, etc. And when they reoffend (not if, when) it's blamed on society not accepting them, they're alienated that's why Johnny went out and raped and killed a mother of 4....

I'll never understand the mindset in which those that are the worst that society has to offer have so much energy and money expended on their behalf to more or less reward them for being bad. Prison is a joke now, it is supposed to be something to be feared, and if you were in prison and got out, you'd make damn sure you wouldn't go back. Now it's just like a f***ing country club of sorts.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options

Nice try, yourself.

This is why the issue of abortion is very different than the death penalty. You can't just decide its okay to kill an innocent child because its mother was raped, but then say its not okay under other circumstances.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options

I've never understood that myself. It seems to be a very typical left wing ideal to keep these types of people alive, to give them better and better living conditions on the backs of working people paying for it. To try to get them parole, so they walk the street again, to attempt to restore their right to vote, to force employers to hire convicts, etc. And when they reoffend (not if, when) it's blamed on society not accepting them, they're alienated that's why Johnny went out and raped and killed a mother of 4....

I'll never understand the mindset in which those that are the worst that society has to offer have so much energy and money expended on their behalf to more or less reward them for being bad. Prison is a joke now, it is supposed to be something to be feared, and if you were in prison and got out, you'd make damn sure you wouldn't go back. Now it's just like a f***ing country club of sorts.

There's a difference between not supporting the death penalty, and wanting them back out on the streets or living in luxury in prison. And despite all the good things I'm hearing about prison, I sure as heck don't want to end up there.
  • Masterdo
    Masterdo Posts: 331 Member
    Options

Nice try, yourself.

I think it is related in a twisted way :p Not getting an abortion when you would want/need one is just one of the most efficient way to give birth to human beings that will be raised in less than ideal conditions in most cases, to remain politically correct. Which then statistically leads to bullying and other crap, eventually maybe even to going past a line that requires us to think about the death penalty :p How many of those things do the criminal and society blame on bad parenting...

I see "being a bad parent" as the worst crime against humanity, so I might be biased... But I'd rather have the parents go through the mental breakdown and social exertion that comes with abortion rather than the child.
  • Azdak
    Options

Why do you assume you are one of the ones who would be left?
  • Ruger2506
    Options
    [

Because I haven't broken the law, because I contribute to society in a positive manner and because I've got the guns. Break in and try to take and my family out and find out why I'll be one of the ones left.
  • Azdak
    Options

I didn't realize so many people on this site had so much personal experience with prison. What were you in for?
  • Azdak
    Options
    [

Because I haven't broken the law, because I contribute to society in a positive manner and because I've got the guns. Break in and try to take and my family out and find out why I'll be one of the ones left.

Again, what makes you think you contribute to society in a positive manner? Do we all get a vote?

I'm not saying you do or you don't, but without some objective criteria, you never know ....
  • Ruger2506
    Options

Again, what makes you think you contribute to society in a positive manner? Do we all get a vote?

I'm not saying you do or you don't, but without some objective criteria, you never know ....

Fair enough. It costs an average of $28816.75/year to house an inmate. I pay that in taxes per year. I do not break the law. On top of that I pay for my own healthcare. I have no child in public schools. I guess the only thing I take from society is I drive on the roads. Which I pay gas and lic taxes for. So I feel it is safe to say I am a positive member of society. Not a drain like a inmate.
  • hikezilla
    hikezilla Posts: 174 Member
    Options

Where I live, in DuPage County, Illinois, not only did the prosecutor lie and deceive to produce a conviction, he continued to assert that the defendant was guilty after he was cleared by DNA evidence--because he "seemed" suspicious.

Best part---the prosecutor was later a republican (of course) nominee for governor.

I hear ya. You couldn't pay me enough to live in Illinois. In the last four decades, Illinois has sent four governors to prison, the big house, big boy jail. 3 democrats and a republican. How many Illinois congressmen have been sent to prison, the most notorious probably being democrat Dan Rostenkowski....I live in Indiana, we buy ads in Illinois inviting companies to pull up stakes and move to tax friendly, freedom loving, Indiana...and it's working.

My little brother lives up near Kane County....the only thing that keeps him there is a decent job...with a California based company.
  • NakedLunchTime
    Options
    Part of the issue with serial killers is that their mind does not understand the concept of right and wrong. There is something that just doesn't click or they are exceptional at justification.

Yes. I actually watched an extremely interesting documentary, geez, about 5 yrs ago now. It showed brain scans from an average persons brain and then compared it to scans of serial killers brains. I don't know the part of the brain so bear with me lol but the middle of the brain has a whiter mass that is almost the shap of a butterfly, and in the scan of the serial killers brain it was about 3 times the size of the average persons!! Really good documentary actually.

However, regarding nature vs. nurture, I don't believe all serial killers have this gentic abnormality. I feel some do and some their environment played a bigger role. But Yes I do agree with you about something not "clicking" the way it should.
  • NakedLunchTime
    Options

I hate to say this, but I am addicted to shows such as locked up and anything in the category. I have watched tons of documentarys on alot of the notorious killers/crimes and it is truly horrifying to see the amount criminals involved that state that they should be locked up because if they do get out they WILL kill/rape..whatever again!!! So scary!! I sleep with pepper spay near my bed and my bedroom door locked to give me extra time to jump out my window if I hear anyone in my house at night!! lol I may be a little bit crazy but these people scare the s*** outta me!!! Lol
  • Marll
    Options

I didn't realize so many people on this site had so much personal experience with prison. What were you in for?

Hardy-har-har, you're funny :laugh:

It doesn't take a whole lot of intelligence to see that the conditions in prison are too good. Watch any documentary on prison, maybe even visit one on a tour (yes, you can do that in many places) and you'll see that they have it much nicer than your average low income family. TV, Internet, Phones, video games, etc. etc. There is hardly and consequence to their actions other than that they can't come and go as they please.

The fact alone that they have these things provided for them, 3 square meals a day, exercise time, clothing, bedding, and a place relatively safe is more than most people get without busting their humps to get is too good for them. Prison should be hell, it should make you not want to re-offend.
  • Marll
    Options

I think it is related in a twisted way :p Not getting an abortion when you would want/need one is just one of the most efficient way to give birth to human beings that will be raised in less than ideal conditions in most cases, to remain politically correct. Which then statistically leads to bullying and other crap, eventually maybe even to going past a line that requires us to think about the death penalty :p How many of those things do the criminal and society blame on bad parenting...

I see "being a bad parent" as the worst crime against humanity, so I might be biased... But I'd rather have the parents go through the mental breakdown and social exertion that comes with abortion rather than the child.

That's such a stretch IMO. I'll take my own father for example. He and his 2 brothers and 1 sister were abandoned by their single mother in the 1960s when he was only about 3 or 4. They travelled from one abusive foster home to the next. I know that the boys suffered severe physical abuse in the home they finally ended up in, and there is a good chance my aunt was sexually molested by the foster father. They didn't take an active role the children's education and they all dropped out of school by junior high. I was born to 2 teenage parents that just barely turned 17. This sounds like a recipe for disaster and continuing abuse. Did that happen? No.

My dad realized that he was the master of his own destiny, joined the Army and had a very decorated and distinguished career. He never once touched me or my sister in anger and choose to explain what we'd done wrong and why it was so. He took a very active role in our education. He went back to school while serving and graduated, and graduated from every advanced school for his job and leadership role at the top of every class (literally). My aunt is a very well respected expert in her career field and makes very good money. Their environment was not the best growing up, but they were obviously not products of it.

Everyone can make decisions in their life to change, and those that say otherwise are shortchanging the will and intelligence of the human mind to do so.