Bye Bye Death Penalty

Options
So they are abolishing the death penalty in CT. I am honestly sickened by this! In my opinion, some people cross a line of doing something/s so horrible that they lost their right to live in our world/society/community and no one is to blame but themselves!

So do you live in one of the 16 (about to be 17) states were there is no death penalty?? I know this is a touchy subject and I truly feel everyone is right in their way of thinking no matter what your stance is on it. Just curious to some of the views on this and the place you live.

Replies

• doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    While I have trouble with people like Charlie Manson still being alive, I feel that it is difficult to teach that killing someone for a punishment is ever valid.
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    We don't have the death penalty here in Canada. But I am pro-death penalty as long as it is 100% with out a doubt guilty. A lot of innocent people were killed while it was in place. Granted, the laws and ways to find adequate evidence has changed.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I was born in Texas, that should about sum up my view on the subject.
  • zoeluiisa
    zoeluiisa Posts: 392
    Options
    This will probably be an unpopular opinion - but it amazes me that there are any states in the US that still have the death penalty. It seems medieval to me.

(From Britain)
  • NakedLunchTime
    Options
    We don't have the death penalty here in Canada. But I am pro-death penalty as long as it is 100% with out a doubt guilty. A lot of innocent people were killed while it was in place. Granted, the laws and ways to find adequate evidence has changed.

I feel the same way! I would never want someone sentenced to death unless there was 100% DNA evidence that linked them or they openly admitted to the crime. Without that, it's just not right to tell someone they are to be punished by death when it can't even be proven without a doubt.
  • NakedLunchTime
    Options

Haha! It does :tongue:
  • SnakeDarling
    SnakeDarling Posts: 352 Member
    Options
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    Options
    "While some states try to abolish the death penalty, my state is putting in an express lane" Paraphrased from Ron White..
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options

I live in Texas. Sometimes, my lights flicker when someone goes down in Huntsville Texas (jk).
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    I'm Canadian also, and I do agree that if the person is 100% guilty, some people are just evil and deserve to die. For example, there's a murder trial going on in London, ON right now of a man who sexually assaulted and killed a little girl. The most he'll get is 25 years (that's the harshest penalty in Canada), probably eligible for parole after half of that. THAT is sad.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I'm 100% for the death penalty.
    I live in CT now and I don't think it should be taken away.

There are some people who just deserve to die - serial murders, serial rapists, etc that can not and will not change with time in prison.
    However, (I may be wrong on this point, please correct me if I am), it is rather expensive to have someone on death row vs life in prison... SO from a financial POV, no death penalty might be the way...
  • NakedLunchTime
    Options
    This will probably be an unpopular opinion - but it amazes me that there are any states in the US that still have the death penalty. It seems medieval to me.

(From Britain)

I think it's when I hear of these horrible crimes and I picture how these people were killed, so brutally and many times for no "reason", (I use that term loosely), I just don't feel they have the right to breath the air that they so quickly and horrifically took from another human being.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I'm not against in in theory, but I'd rather see in abolished if it can't be adequately reformed.
  • NakedLunchTime
    Options
    I'm Canadian also, and I do agree that if the person is 100% guilty, some people are just evil and deserve to die. For example, there's a murder trial going on in London, ON right now of a man who sexually assaulted and killed a little girl. The most he'll get is 25 years (that's the harshest penalty in Canada), probably eligible for parole after half of that. THAT is sad.

:cry: It's so sad! I hate that some people are so sick! That poor child!
  • Ruger2506
    Ruger2506 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Another example of our country and world becoming a Brady bunch pu$$y version of itself. Disgusting! We need more capital punishment, not less. Public flogging should be applauded, not looked down upon.
  • JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I am in Oklahoma, we have the death penalty and I have a degree in Criminal Justice. I have studied the criminal element and seen crime sceen photos that support my thinking that some people need to be removed from this earth as they are beyond rehabilitation and there is no legit reason to keep them alive. Personally, I believe anyone convicted of child molestation should be put to death as you cannot change someone's sexual preference. You could lock me up for 20 years and tell me every day that I shouldn't have sex with women but the first day I am out I am going to find a woman and get down and dirty. So you can't tell me that someone who gets their rocks off by being with a kid can be told it is wrong and then suddenly go, "Yeah, you are right. I'm changed and will never do it again." They are too much of a danger to the most vulnerable people out there, kids.

Oh, and if that ain't enough I have two more words for you to support that some people just need to die........Tim McVeigh.
  • katielauren2001
    katielauren2001 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I'm against the death penalty - there have been some cases when the person hasn't been guilty.
    Killing for killing = wrong IMO.
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I live in Alabama, so we still have it down here. I know this is such a touchy issue.

My opinion, is there are certain crimes, that the criminal does not deserve their life anymore. That man, if I am remembering right he is from CT, where his wife and 2 daughters were raped and murdered (burned a live)...those 2 men do not deserve their lives. They showed that they had no mercy and they do not contribute anything to our society. Their acts showed that they do not respect life...they did not respect those women's lives or their own.

Just my opinion. We had a brutal rape here in my small town (I won't give details, but she, 19 year old girl, will never have children....what he did to her is beyond disturbing)...if they catch this man, I think he should be sentenced to death. I know it was a rape and she did survive, but what he did was so brutal and barbaric, he has showed that he does not respect life.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    There are people who have committed crimes so heinous that I'd pull the lever myself.

However, our court system is so screwed up that I don't trust any guilty verdicts anymore, especially if the culprit isn't white. Until we fix our court system, I'm all for abolishing the death penalty. You can't appeal when you're dead.

Unfortunately, the way the system works now, you have a better chance of being able to appeal from death row than if you're in prison for life, however. And if you and your family have no money you're plain out of luck if you want something like DNA tested to prove your innocence. So the appeals system needs to change, too.
  • Faintgreeneyes
    Faintgreeneyes Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    My state does not have the death penalty (MA) but I am against it anyways.

To me, it seems the easy way out for these people. You murdered/raped/did countless other things to another human being, and what will we do- give you a somewhat painless death for it. I think keeping them alive and living in solitary confinement is a much harsher punishment.

Not to mention the fact of the countless people that are put to death and are innocent of the crimes due to faulty DNA or eye-witness testimony. While DNA testing is pretty solid now, there is always a chance of a mistake being made. Not to mention that there is no way to have an unbiased trial by a jury of your peers.

But hey- just me .02 worth.