Bye Bye Death Penalty

Options

Replies

• Ruger2506
    Ruger2506 Posts: 309 Member
    Options

I also think the lawyers should suffer the same punishment as their client. Sure would cut down on the defense of the guilty POS that committed some of these awful crimes. Plus it would really cut down on all these frivolous law suits.

Not sure if trolling, or just anti-american.

Or maybe I mean it.
  • Juliet_622
    Juliet_622 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    For all those saying the death penalty is the easy way out. I would support torturing the POS before we kill them. You opponents are assuming these POS are people. They are not. They are animals and should be culled from the herd. Put them down like you would a rabid dog.

Sounds like a serial killer in the making.
  • barongaston
    barongaston Posts: 109
    Options
    This will probably be an unpopular opinion - but it amazes me that there are any states in the US that still have the death penalty. It seems medieval to me.

(From Britain)

I just don't see the point in keeping someone alive in jail for life. You get your trial, you get your appeals then when you are done its time to go tell God that you had a hard childhood so you killed 5 people.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I also think the lawyers should suffer the same punishment as their client. Sure would cut down on the defense of the guilty POS that committed some of these awful crimes. Plus it would really cut down on all these frivolous law suits.
    That is the stupidest and most anti-American idea I've ever heard. Have you even heard of the constitution?

You missed the joke?
  • NakedLunchTime
    Options
    I think they should all be put on a desert island. Let them kill each other instead of us paying for them to watch tv-body build-and make royalties from books they write while in prison.

This! If only if it were so simple to just ship them off to some remote land.

Do I forsee a Hunger Games reality show?? Ok that was wrong lol
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I'm Canadian also, and I do agree that if the person is 100% guilty, some people are just evil and deserve to die. For example, there's a murder trial going on in London, ON right now of a man who sexually assaulted and killed a little girl. The most he'll get is 25 years (that's the harshest penalty in Canada), probably eligible for parole after half of that. THAT is sad.

I don't know about Canadian prisons but the first people shanked in the yard in US prisons are people who do things to kids.

That's the truth... the second is anyone that rapes women.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Many people have been wrongly put to death.

In CA, it is more expensive to kill an inmate than it is to let them live out their lives.

DNA testing has helped avoid what I pointed out above, so that's good.

As a civilized society, there's a part of me that feels that killing people is wrong, even if it's deserved. I think in 500 years, they'll look back on this time as a very cruel society.
  • carriem73
    carriem73 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I was born in Texas, that should about sum up my view on the subject.

This, but I was born in Florida- we are happy to follow in the footsteps of the great state of Texas!!!
  • alias1001
    alias1001 Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    The death penalty is just way too expensive. It costs less to jail someone for life than to fry them. That's why New Jersey got rid of it a few years ago.

Besides, I rather see somone rot in jail everday for the rest of their life than get the easy way out.

That is because there is an appeals process and we keep them alive for years if not decades. I think if the judge says "guilty, sentence is death". BOOM. They are dead immediately. Shot in the head by the executioner.

Totally. Like, that whole due process thing is such a waste of time. And everyone gets a lawyer? What kind of bull**** is that?

[/sarcasm]

Nothing like doing away with centuries' of English and American tradition.
  • NakedLunchTime
    Options
    I feel the same way! I would never want someone sentenced to death unless there was 100% DNA evidence that linked them or they openly admitted to the crime. Without that, it's just not right to tell someone they are to be punished by death when it can't even be proven without a doubt.
    You are sickened that they are abolishing the death penalty, yet you say the above. How old are you? Do you not understand how the court system works? You can't have it both ways.

What?? I can believe in death penalty and still feel that it should only be used if the crime was proven to be some by the person accused 100%. I don't know where you are trying to go with this asking me my age and acting as though I am not able to understand how the "government works" but I assure you I do.
  • JanetLM73
    JanetLM73 Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I'm Canadian also, and I do agree that if the person is 100% guilty, some people are just evil and deserve to die. For example, there's a murder trial going on in London, ON right now of a man who sexually assaulted and killed a little girl. The most he'll get is 25 years (that's the harshest penalty in Canada), probably eligible for parole after half of that. THAT is sad.

I'm with you. It makes me ill that Paul Bernardo is still alive as well, and don't get me started on karla homolka...waste of air!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I think it'd be great to have the Death Penalty as an option here. Our 'life' sentences are laughable and very rarely do the perpetrators serve the full sentence. Some people just don't deserve to be treated in a humane way after doing something so unjustifiably evil.
  • zoeluiisa
    zoeluiisa Posts: 392
    Options
    This will probably be an unpopular opinion - but it amazes me that there are any states in the US that still have the death penalty. It seems medieval to me.

(From Britain)

I just don't see the point in keeping someone alive in jail for life. You get your trial, you get your appeals then when you are done its time to go tell God that you had a hard childhood so you killed 5 people.

Sometimes people's convictions are overturned years and years after their crimes - new evidence, new forensic technology etc. That's bad enough if they've spent years and years in jail, but if they're dead you can't bring them back to life :(
  • Kell_Smurthwaite
    Kell_Smurthwaite Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I'm in the UK. I am strongly in favour of the death penalty for murder cases where there is 100% DNA proof of guilt. I am also for castration of rapists and kiddie-fiddlers (chemical or otherwise). My Dad is a prison officer and I've seen the conditions under which Scottish prisoners are incarcertated and I really don't think we're tough enough. They should all have to work - fixing the roads would be a great start and would save local councils SO much money - it would also help pay for longer incarcerations for serious crimes! They should also have no luxuries - basic TV only (for a very limited time every day - no Sky!!!) and limited leisure hours. To be perfectly honest, they should be made too exhausted by work to be able to do anything but sleep at the end of the day - it would cause far fewer problems within the prison system! I wouldn't be against them having to slop out instead of having toilets in their cels either, but that's maybe just me. The way I see it, prison should be a punishment - for many, the removal of their freedom really isn't incentive enough on its own to deter them fro mreoffending, but if prison was made a truly dismal place to be, they might think twice about it.
  • WhittRak
    WhittRak Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I think this is a touchy subject. I am inclined to feel that people deserve to die if they commit a horrific and super violent act, especially towards children. However, I would not want to be the person who actually does the execution itself. That....would not be cool.
  • lindalee0315
    lindalee0315 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I'm not against in in theory, but I'd rather see in abolished if it can't be adequately reformed.

This is exactly how I feel. A disproportionate number of poor people get the death penalty for crimes that are equally heinous to those who are committed by people with means. To me (as a lawyer) this speaks to adequacy of representation rather than degree of reprehensibility for the crime. I'm not slamming public defenders...they have an ungodly case load. What I am saying is that people who can afford top tier representation generally don't end up on death row. It's wrong if a vastly comparable crime, committed by different people of different socioeconomic status, receives a different sentence.
  • foxy2311
    foxy2311 Posts: 179
    Options
    I think they should all be put on a desert island. Let them kill each other instead of us paying for them to watch tv-body build-and make royalties from books they write while in prison.

This! If only if it were so simple to just ship them off to some remote land.

This was the original purpose of Australia.....eons ago, England shipped off all their horrible criminals to Australia.
  • zoeluiisa
    zoeluiisa Posts: 392
    Options
    I think it'd be great to have the Death Penalty as an option here. Our 'life' sentences are laughable and very rarely do the perpetrators serve the full sentence. Some people just don't deserve to be treated in a humane way after doing something so unjustifiably evil.

I'd hate to see the death penalty brought back here, but I absolutely agree with our "life sentences" being a joke. The automatic assumption that you get released after serving half your sentence is sickening.
  • carriem73
    carriem73 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I'm 100% for the death penalty.
    I live in CT now and I don't think it should be taken away.

There are some people who just deserve to die - serial murders, serial rapists, etc that can not and will not change with time in prison.
    However, (I may be wrong on this point, please correct me if I am), it is rather expensive to have someone on death row vs life in prison... SO from a financial POV, no death penalty might be the way...

Well they could eliminate the cost by just "getting on with the show" lol. But honestly! Why does it need to take 20 yrs of appeals? If DNA proves it 100% just do it and be on to the next one. I know that sounds harsh, but I hold no sympathy in my heart for people that are derranged. But I definetly see your point as well because that's not the way it is sadly.

Amen!

If ther is DNA that proves it, you should get one appeal to discuss mitigating circumstances. If the appeal fails, the death chamber should be set up dext door to the court room- in you go!
  • Masterdo
    Masterdo Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    We don't have the death penalty here in Canada. But I am pro-death penalty as long as it is 100% with out a doubt guilty. A lot of innocent people were killed while it was in place. Granted, the laws and ways to find adequate evidence has changed.

I feel the same way! I would never want someone sentenced to death unless there was 100% DNA evidence that linked them or they openly admitted to the crime. Without that, it's just not right to tell someone they are to be punished by death when it can't even be proven without a doubt.

Without a doubt changes with time... In 50 years we will know something new about forensics and maybe revisit cases where it seemed 100% sure, yet we were wrong.

As for my opinion on the subject, I just don't have one really... I think killing someone is pretty extreme, but then again, I have no idea what else to do with people that are truly lost, no hope of rehabilitation. So I guess I am kind of against, but clueless as to what we should do with them instead.