Bye Bye Death Penalty

Options

Replies

• Ruger2506
    Ruger2506 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    The death penalty is just way too expensive. It costs less to jail someone for life than to fry them. That's why New Jersey got rid of it a few years ago.

Besides, I rather see somone rot in jail everday for the rest of their life than get the easy way out.

That is because there is an appeals process and we keep them alive for years if not decades. I think if the judge says "guilty, sentence is death". BOOM. They are dead immediately. Shot in the head by the executioner.

I also think the lawyers should suffer the same punishment as their client. Sure would cut down on the defense of the guilty POS that committed some of these awful crimes. Plus it would really cut down on all these frivolous law suits.
  • katielauren2001
    katielauren2001 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I don't think Troy Davis should have been sentenced to death. It's disgusting.
  • NakedLunchTime
    Options
    I'm Canadian also, and I do agree that if the person is 100% guilty, some people are just evil and deserve to die. For example, there's a murder trial going on in London, ON right now of a man who sexually assaulted and killed a little girl. The most he'll get is 25 years (that's the harshest penalty in Canada), probably eligible for parole after half of that. THAT is sad.

I don't know about Canadian prisons but the first people shanked in the yard in US prisons are people who do things to kids.

It happens but child predators are isolated nowadays in most prisions so authoritys are able to cut down and control the crime between inmates because naturally they are a target. I wish this wasn't so however, it is.
  • terri0527
    terri0527 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I'm in N.C. and we still have the death penalty so far...I 100% support it as long as the person is definitely proven guilty, and if the death penalty is abolished...well there's always an eye for an eye as the Good Book says and Charlie Daniels...
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I don't see the point of the death penalty. It often costs more... But keeping someone in a fishbowl until they die seems pointless too.
  • Ruger2506
    Ruger2506 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    For all those saying the death penalty is the easy way out. I would support torturing the POS before we kill them. You opponents are assuming these POS are people. They are not. They are animals and should be culled from the herd. Put them down like you would a rabid dog.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I live in Connecticut, home of the notorious Petit family murders--basically a family kept hostage for hours and three murdered at the end of this horror. The mom and the 12 year-old daughter were sexually assaulted, and then gasoline was poured over the two teenaged girls beds and they were burned alive. The mother was strangled. There was only one survivor, the dad--Dr. William Petit--who worked at the hospital where I worked for 16 years. He was a mensch, and has been living with this horror for years now.

The two perps deserve severe punishment, in my opinion. I'm not sure the death penalty is it, though. Carrying out the death penalty--on principle alone--chills me to the bone.
  • foxy2311
    foxy2311 Posts: 179
    Options
    I was born in Texas, that should about sum up my view on the subject.

Texas has an express lane to the death penalty! :)
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I don't think Troy Davis should have been sentenced to death. It's disgusting.

I agree. I mentioned him also. But I also mentioned Brian Nichols. His crime warranted the death penalty. There was no question that he murdered those people.
  • livinginwoods
    livinginwoods Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Yes I am for the death penalty. I think we allow them to live to long in the system. Once they are guilty put a bullet in the back of their heads. Cheap and effective.
  • Oo_BrookeNicole_oO
    Options
    I think they should all be put on a desert island. Let them kill each other instead of us paying for them to watch tv-body build-and make royalties from books they write while in prison.

This! If only if it were so simple to just ship them off to some remote land.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options

I also think the lawyers should suffer the same punishment as their client. Sure would cut down on the defense of the guilty POS that committed some of these awful crimes. Plus it would really cut down on all these frivolous law suits.

Not sure if trolling, or just anti-american.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way! I would never want someone sentenced to death unless there was 100% DNA evidence that linked them or they openly admitted to the crime. Without that, it's just not right to tell someone they are to be punished by death when it can't even be proven without a doubt.
    You are sickened that they are abolishing the death penalty, yet you say the above. How old are you? Do you not understand how the court system works? You can't have it both ways.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    For all those saying the death penalty is the easy way out. I would support torturing the POS before we kill them. You opponents are assuming these POS are people. They are not. They are animals and should be culled from the herd. Put them down like you would a rabid dog.

Yes, and the torture should be public, so that not just the ones doing the torturing end up completely warped by the experience. In fact, schools should have field trips to see the public execution and torture of criminals. That will make our society ever so much nicer!

Hm. No.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    So they are abolishing the death penalty in CT. I am honestly sickened by this! In my opinion, some people cross a line of doing something/s so horrible that they lost their right to live in our world/society/community and no one is to blame but themselves!

So do you live in one of the 16 (about to be 17) states were there is no death penalty?? I know this is a touchy subject and I truly feel everyone is right in their way of thinking no matter what your stance is on it. Just curious to some of the views on this and the place you live.

Wait! Really? Even after those two monsters that without a doubt raped and killed the daughters and wife of that doctors family (I can't for the life of me remember the families name, but I can remember the details of the crime).... I know they were agonizing over sentencing those two the death penalty because they were 100% without a doubt guilty (they admitted it) and they (or at least the one guy) laughed and said he would do it again if he were out... to me it's THAT type of person that needs to subjected to the death penalty... the sociopath with no signs of remorse...
  • foxy2311
    foxy2311 Posts: 179
    Options
    Here in Colorado, there is the death penalty, however sparsley used. I am pro-death penalty. Always have been. Could be because I come from a family of cops.

I had a friend in high school who's police officer father was shot and killed on duty while trying to save other people being held hostage. Thankfully the POS hung himself in jail. Didn't even have to waste the tax dollars on his butt.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I think they should all be put on a desert island. Let them kill each other instead of us paying for them to watch tv-body build-and make royalties from books they write while in prison.

I'm fairly certain that there are laws in place to prevent someone convicted of a crime from capitalizing on it. The key point is that they have to ACTUALLY be convicted of it.
  • NakedLunchTime
    Options
    I live in Connecticut, home of the notorious Petit family murders--basically a family kept hostage for hours and three murdered at the end of this horror. The mom and the 12 year-old daughter were sexually assaulted, and then gasoline was poured over the two teenaged girls beds and they were burned alive. The mother was strangled. There was only one survivor, the dad--Dr. William Petit--who worked at the hospital where I worked for 16 years. He was a mensch, and has been living with this horror for years now.

The two perps deserve severe punishment, in my opinion. I'm not sure the death penalty is it, though. Carrying out the death penalty--on principle alone--chills me to the bone.

"Carrying out the death penalty--on principle alone--chills me to the bone."

Could you elaborate on this statement? Im honeslty confused lol. I live in CT and have for almost my whole life so I am obviously familiar with this horrible crime and I was with you up until the end. Just not really sure what you mean.
  • Mom2rh
    Mom2rh Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I think on the fiscal level it makes no sense. In CA they live in their own cells, have extra security, have access to all sorts of legal aid, their cases are automatically appealed. It is much more expensive to keep people on death row. And they are there for decades.

“The additional cost of confining an inmate to death row, as compared to the maximum security prisons where those sentenced to life without possibility of parole ordinarily serve their sentences, is $90,000 per year per inmate. With California’s current death row population of 670, that accounts for $63.3 million annually.”

"The cost of a system which imposes a maximum penalty of lifetime incarceration instead of the death penalty would be $11.5 million per year."

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/costs-death-penalty
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    That is the stupidest and most anti-American idea I've ever heard. Have you even heard of the constitution?