Poll: How many hours do you work per week?

Options
porcelain_doll
porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
I spoke with a recruiter last night about a position that I recently applied for. She asked a few questions about my experience, etc., then asked if I was okay with working 50-60 hours per week. I said I was (what else was I going to say? lol), and then later asked if that was just a seasonal thing, or the norm. She said it was the norm for most people in the company.

I have always worked 40 hours per week with an occasional long day here and there. I wanted to know if 50-60 hours per week is the new trend in the corporate world, and I just wasn't aware of it.

I don't know the salary range for the position, so I am not sure if the longer hours are compensated for or not. That will be something to consider if/when the time comes to make a decision.

So my question is, how many hours do you work per week? And feel free to add your feelings about working 50-60 hours/week if you'd like.

Thanks!

Replies

• BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Generally 40 hours. I'm on salary, so I don't get overtime if I work over that....but I'll be honest, I don't think I've ever gone over 40 hours since I've been here. HOWEVER, our marketing department works wayyy over that because they're always out at our events and stuff on the weekends---they put in a LOT of hard work, and I'm pretty sure most of them get compensated for it.

My boyfriend works 50 hour weeks regularly (Mon-Fri) sometimes more. He get's paid overtime though, so he doesn't mind it at all.
  • briteyes1002
    briteyes1002 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    My regular job 40.. but than I teach gymnastics on the weekend which can be an extra 3-12 hours a weekend.
  • Pengi81
    Pengi81 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I'm on 40 hours a week and occasionally put in an extra hour or two here or there

I don't think I could manage 60 hours a week - that just seems insane!

50 seems moderate enough I suppose for this corporate world we live in!
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    About 6 months ago I was working two jobs at 75 hours a week.

!

Now I work 40, sometimes a little more depending on what needs to be done around here.
  • ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,957 Member
    Options
    I work 7:00 - 5:30 Mon-Fri with a 30 min. lunch on salary..no week-ends though.
  • lour441
    lour441 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    1 Salary Job. 45-60 hour per week depending on what is going on is normal for me.
  • TK266
    TK266 Posts: 3,689 Member
    Options
    most weeks are 40 hour weeks, but during certain times of the year I do 50-60 hour weeks. Mainly this is due to some deadline or another.

As I am on salary, I do not get over time. I don't mind the longer weeks when it is only 3 or 4 weeks a year. if I had to work 50 + hours a week on a permanent basis, I would ask for a 25% raise. :laugh:

As I like my free time I would mostly likely find another job .... and I know that I am lucky because I could get another job in about 2 day doing what I do.
  • steadk
    steadk Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    i am scheduled 40 hours, but recently i've worked anywhere from 44-48 hours a week.
  • Lotte34
    Lotte34 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I work 60 hours a week. 12 horus a day 5 days a week and often take work home with me
  • Fayve
    Fayve Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I tend to work about 45 hours a week depending on the workload needing to get done. 60+ sounds rough!
  • dezi718
    dezi718 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    40 hours per week, unless I get to work overtime. That's rare though.
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    37.5 /week
  • bshedwick
    bshedwick Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I'm a software engineer and I routinely work 50-55 hours a week
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    Job one: 37 hours a week, any overtime I get time in lieu for (regular 9-5 office job) job two: about 10 hours (in a pub at the weekend), most weeks I work 7 days
  • bajmaster
    bajmaster Posts: 11
    Options
    I work 40 hours and then 24 at another job. It is hard so from 730am-8pm and then go walk tuesday thru friday im tired as crap. it is hard that u have to do that at one job though. that would get old:)
  • cdngirl71
    cdngirl71 Posts: 2,707 Member
    Options
    I work a 40 hr week 7-3, technically get paid for 37.5 hrs since I don't get paid for half of my lunch hour. When I worked in the restaurant business as a manager, I worked 50-60 hrs a week and it sucked, also never got paid OT since I was salary.
  • Lily_1
    Lily_1 Posts: 38
    Options
    0,none, nada, zilch, ZERO, big fat goose egg! I am free from work and I LOVE IT!

“love the life you live.
    live the life you love.”
    ― Bob Marley
  • Jessamine
    Jessamine Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I always work 40 hours a week. I'm not allowed to go over because I'm an hourly employee and they don't have the budget for overtime.

The salaried employees (managers & supervisors) sometimes work more than 40 hours during our hectic seasons. It's not the norm, but they know to expect it when it's needed.

I'm married and I deeply value getting home at the same time every day and not having my work cut into my time with my husband. I would not accept a salaried position if it were offered to me.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Job 1 - I work normally 45 hours per week. THere was a time when I worked 80, but they got more reasonable. Certain times, I have more hours and some, I have a straight 40. Rare, though.

Job 2 - I work an average of 10 hours per week (weeknights or weekends, I pick one or the other).

Total of 55 hours per week, more or less.

Luckily the Job 2 is from home, so I can multi-task. But it has deadlines with severe financial penalties, so it has a very high priority for me.The priority list is like this, in order ----> Kids/partner, food, workouts, job, chores, television/entertainment, hobbies, sleep.

One thing for sure,I never, ever have the opportunity to say..."I'm bored. I have nothing to do". :laugh:
  • Tiff587
    Tiff587 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I work 60 hours and travel an hour each way to get there.

During the week I basically;
    1 - Get up go to gym
    2 - Go to work
    3 - Exercise in eve
    4 - Sleep

My life is so rock and roll right now!! :cry:
    But at least I have my weekends! :drinker: