Poll: How many hours do you work per week?

Options

Replies

• msudaisy28
    msudaisy28 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Until a month ago I had a job where I worked 60-65 hours/week for 3 months of the year and 45-50 most of the other weeks (I was in public accounting and worked the longer hours during tax season). I was salary, so no overtime, and my company had flex time so there were weeks where I worked less than 40, but not many. I averaged around 2,400 hours/year over 8 years.

I recently took a new job where I'm also salary, but I've been told that 40-45 hours/week is typically the norm. The hours were a big factor in my job switch. It was easier to work long hours when it was just my husband and myself. Now i have a little one and I value my time with her (my hubby's important too of course, but he doesn't go to bed by 9!) so I would rather spend my time at home with her.

When I was in public accounting I saw a lot of different corporate environments. A lot of it depends on the culture of the company (some companies just expect you to work harder) and a lot of it depends on your position in the company (accountants tend to work more hours at month end, sales/marketing tend to work more non-traditional hours to build customer base, IT can put in long hours if a project is about to be implemented, etc).

Also, some of it depends on the personality of the person. I've seen people who "work" 50-60 hours a week, but a lot of that time is spent chatting or doing things that aren't really essential to thier jobs. So if they focused a bit they might be able to get the job done in less time.
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    ATM 30 hours, but in a weeks time it'll be 0, zilch, nada. I hand my notice in tomorrow.

And I'm VERY happy about this.:bigsmile:
  • jaxbeck
    jaxbeck Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I'm strictly 40 hours a week! I have however worked 50-60 in a management position. It was too much for me. I was ALWAYS working! No time whatsoever for my family or me. I will never do it again. I feel that even the 40 hours I put in takes away too much time from my family. I hate it
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    40 with the occasional hour or two over.

Still too much for me!
  • invurameshisgf
    Options
    Personally, I work only about 20 hours a week, but then, I'm a student. The lucky few at my workplace who are full time are scheduled to work 40 hours. Similarly I know my Mom works 40 hours, and my Dad works between 30-40 hours, depending on work load.

If you're getting paid for the full 60 hours, go for it. Especially if there's overtime involved. but if you're being paid 40 hours to work far more, there is room for you to negotiate, surely.
  • stephabef
    stephabef Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I work 40-45 hours a week and take 15 hours of classes (studying not included)
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    40 hours per week. State job so no OT due to budget constraints (also, no raises for the last 3 or 4 years... :indifferent: ). But they pay me and I have a pretty good benefits. And with the economy the way it is, I am happy to have a job!
  • Doomfrog
    Doomfrog Posts: 79
    Options
    I'm salaried and am probably "available" probably over 60 hours per week. However, I work from home, so there are admittedly occasions where "working" is a relative term. I'm "online" usually from 5-5 and then sometimes later in the evenings due to managing a good portion of work in India, but I work out on my lunch hour. Sometimes I'll take a little break and clean something. I fart around on here sometimes. So I feel like it all ballances out. However, I don't have children and my husband rarely gets home before 7:00 and neither of us work weekends, so I don't ever feel like I don't have a good work/life ballance. It's all relative, I think.
  • semeyer
    semeyer Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    What type of position the job is might require more hours to be worked.

Where I work, salary employees are asked to work 45-50 hours a week (of course you can work more if you choose!), with an hour lunch paid, no overtime pay available.

60 hours/week seems like a lot...GOOD LUCK! :drinker:
  • PreacherRam
    Options
    2 jobs. One is 40 hours per week. Second is flexible. Could be as much as 20 but mostly 10-12.
  • iam_thatdude
    iam_thatdude Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    50-55 hours when im in the States and probably 70 hours a week when I travel internationally.
  • mommy1126
    mommy1126 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Salaried position here, typical week is at least 45 hours. Depending on what is going on at work, it can be anywhere from the normal 45 - 60.
  • morganhccstudent724
    morganhccstudent724 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    40 hours but I come and go as I please...so some weeks I work a tad more or a tad less.

I also teach Zumba about 3 hours a week....
  • chrissiebliss
    chrissiebliss Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    40 hrs per week
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    I'm a stay at home mom, so...all of them. :happy:
  • alli4350
    alli4350 Posts: 38
    Options
    I'm an accountant, so January through April (and sometimes October) I work about 60 hours or more a week. 40 hours a week is like vacation!
  • XpeargrlX
    XpeargrlX Posts: 21
    Options
    I'm only part-time, so I only work 20-28 hours a week.
  • fearlessly
    fearlessly Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Like 30-35. I work at J Crew part-time about 25 hours a week, and also have a voice studio I work out of one day a week doing lessons for 8 hours. Can't wait for the day when I'm done with undergrad and law school and can get a legitimate job. -_-
  • Bull2707
    Bull2707 Posts: 106
    Options
    I work about 50 hours per week. Hell I am in the military and do not get paid over time. I cannot wait for that day. I would ask how much are they going to pay with benefits.
  • tameejean
    tameejean Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I work part time now, but when I *was* working full-time, I was salaried and rarely worked over 40 hours, except when I had to travel.