Poll: How many hours do you work per week?

Options

Replies

• jedibunny
    jedibunny Posts: 321
    Options
    To the OP: if you're going in for IT/web design or anything end-user related, you're going to be expected to work until projects are done, tweaked, redone, re-tweaked and eventually scrapped and started over. lol. It's just the nature of the industry. I'm in data management and work in generating and tweaking end-user reporting, so if something is "off" by a space here or a line there or a bit of data is faulty, it's another few hours to get it right. Generally I work 40--45 hours at the office, commute 45 mins each way, and then work another part-time job teaching online... my "work week" ends up being around 60 hours if you count the commute. And if you're wondering, I'm salaried at the first job, and that salary is based on a 40-hour week. The second job pays me a pittance but looks great on the resume.

My advice is: if you know you're going to love what you do, the 50--60 hours might not be so bad. If you think you'll find yourself wondering why you spend that much time working -- which at times I do -- you may not want that particular job.
  • fitnessgoalie
    fitnessgoalie Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I work 40 hours a week. When I first started as temporary employee to help run a youth program, I worked about 50 hours a week. It was intense and I found that I had not time to enjoy my day off, all I wanted to do was SLEEP. I prefer a 40 hour week job. My position doesnt pay overtime either.
  • PHS7
    PHS7 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I'm almost always over 50 hours per week. Kinda rough but I've been doing is so long it seems normal.
  • fiveferrels
    fiveferrels Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I try to hit 50 a week, M-TH 5:30-4:30, Fridays 5:30- 1:30
  • summerg514
    Options
    I'm in corporate/government construction and typically work between 45 and 60 hours a week on salary, depending on what we've got going on. Usually I'm right around the 50-hour mark, no matter the time of year.
  • tilfordj
    tilfordj Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    53 a week is my norm
  • DisneySkaGirl
    Options
    I'm considered part time at 35 hours per week, and when 4:00 rolls around I am out of here... I couldn't do more and still work out and go to grad school, no way.
  • ImNotThatBob
    ImNotThatBob Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I work 18 -20 hours per day seven days per week during tax season (Jan 2nd through April 17th) and then take the rest of the year off! Relief is less than a week away!!! :drinker:
  • ImNotThatBob
    ImNotThatBob Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I'm salaried at 40hrs per week. If they're lucky, they get 26 hours out of me a week.

A public worker in Germany sent a letter announcing his retirement to the 500 co-workers in his division. However, his note was not a fond farewell to his work pals. The 65-year-old newly-retired guy bragging, "I haven't worked in 14 years" managed to tick off the entire country!
  • porcelain_doll
    porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    To the OP: if you're going in for IT/web design or anything end-user related, you're going to be expected to work until projects are done, tweaked, redone, re-tweaked and eventually scrapped and started over. lol. It's just the nature of the industry. I'm in data management and work in generating and tweaking end-user reporting, so if something is "off" by a space here or a line there or a bit of data is faulty, it's another few hours to get it right. Generally I work 40--45 hours at the office, commute 45 mins each way, and then work another part-time job teaching online... my "work week" ends up being around 60 hours if you count the commute. And if you're wondering, I'm salaried at the first job, and that salary is based on a 40-hour week. The second job pays me a pittance but looks great on the resume.

My advice is: if you know you're going to love what you do, the 50--60 hours might not be so bad. If you think you'll find yourself wondering why you spend that much time working -- which at times I do -- you may not want that particular job.

Thank you, that is what I have heard from other IT people. I know the environment has a lot to do with the enjoyment, as well, which is something I won't really know until I get there. But this company has won awards for being a great place to work, so it gives me some hope. I know at least for myself that when I get into a project, the hours seem to fly by, so maybe it won't feel like 50-60 hours (until I get out of bed in the mornings, ha ha).

I appreciate all the input (from everyone)!
  • CallieM15
    CallieM15 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    40 at my full time job... Soon to have a part time job at the ER, and thatll be another 16-24 hrs. And I go to University full time. LOL
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I work for a university as a secretary at a very laid back office job that I get to run around campus with and do all sorts of awesome things... I work for the IT department.

We are legally not allowed to go over 30 hours a week. Probably a good thing as I am very serious about school and take 12-16 credits of business courses.

I'm loving it though and try to max out at 30 hours per week. I can do homework at work but refuse to lately as it's kind of distracting.

I absolutely love my job and classes though so life is good but insanely busy. :happy:

I will never ever work anything outside of an office job (studying for accountancy) unless things got REAL tough. (I'm young so not burnt out quite yet LOL)
  • XoSaraoX
    XoSaraoX Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    i work two different jobs one part time usually put in 28 hrs then when summer and holidays roll in i work 40 hrs a week, then a full time job with overtime that you have to do,,, which is 40+ hrs.. so my norm is about 65-80+ hrs a week love the money :) oh did i mention online courses :/ busy busy but there is no excuses comming from this girl
  • porcelain_doll
    porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I admire so many of you working tons of hours and still making time for a healthy lifestyle/losing weight. I think that's so awesome. That is one of my biggest fears about taking such a job is that I will not have time for anything else. But you all have proved me wrong, it looks like!
  • jpfost
    jpfost Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Around 50hrs
  • Classalete
    Classalete Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    50-55Hr's.

Professional salary holllerrrr.

#youngnbossn
  • darkknightfan
    darkknightfan Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    im in IT (work in a datacenter) .. I tend to work 50+ hours a week and on call afterhours.... I dont mind the extra hours as im paid hourly
  • MommyLyssa
    MommyLyssa Posts: 134
    Options
    168 hours a week, minus tuesday nights, so...164 hours a week :D

Just kidding. Sorry, I know that doesn't help you at all...just where my brain went. (Stay at home, homeschooling, gardening, part time photographer mom) :P
  • stevewynjones
    stevewynjones Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Salaried at 45hrs but allways do more for hourly rate. In the UK we are legally limitet to the ammount of hours we can work over so many weeks...

In previous role I used to work 95 to 100hrs a week occasionally 140hrs....yes.....rolling 7days of 20hr shifts....cat naps were all the rage:happy:

..probably why my sleep patterns are so ****up now :smile:
  • DS67ATX
    DS67ATX Posts: 289
    Options
    40 per week at my regular job and when I work the weekends with my own business I do another 16 hours but not every week.