Poll: How many hours do you work per week?

Options

Replies

• Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    45-60 here. Since the economy buckled it's been closer to the 60 end. Companies have pretty much used to the economic crisis as an excuse to dump staff and make those that remain work harder, but whatya gonna do? :ohwell:
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I'm at work for 45-50 usually but I only actually work for about 10. lol
  • clydethecat
    clydethecat Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    i work from home and i am salaried. so i work anywhere from 50hrs in the winter to as much as 80 during the summer. i basically work until all the work is done, no matter how much time that takes.
  • mousepaws22
    mousepaws22 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I get paid for 37 hours a week but I usuaully do about 45- sometimes 50 if we have an event on. Even doing that makes me really tired and it's anoffice job!
  • SPBROOKS68
    SPBROOKS68 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    40 or 45 hours a week depends on the stuff I need to do at work
  • Brilliantbritt27
    Options
    My opinion comes from being on an hourly pay and I am used to working anywhere from 40 to 60 hours - that being said 50-60hours isn't bad if work is the only thing you're doing (I.e. no school) . As far as a salary based job is concerned....I can't honestly give input.
  • gwmedicgod
    gwmedicgod Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    As a Paramedic I work 3 24 hr shifts a wk.. (72 hrs total) but because we have so much OT.. I probly average 84 - 96 hrs/wk... I've worked as much as 120 hrs in a week...
  • sing4me4you
    sing4me4you Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    1 job, salaried, routinely work 40-50 hours per week.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I'm a stay at home mom so I work 24/7. As far as "real" jobs are concerned, I've never worked more than 40 hours a week with some occasional overtime. Since I'm a mom with 3 kids I wouldn't take anything but my dream job if I had to work more than 40.
  • Kelsbellz
    Kelsbellz Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    One job, salaried, 50-60 hours per week - very rarely on weekends. :grumble: Gotta love corporate America.
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    I'm salaried at 40hrs per week. If they're lucky, they get 26 hours out of me a week.
  • jedi9393
    jedi9393 Posts: 121
    Options
    i am salaried too and do not get overtime. However, since I've been on the job hunt I see more and more of this. You do get paid time and a half at most jobs if you work over 40, but companies are hiring less and making the workers do more. I have a stay at home dad, but I would love overtime.
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I do a forty-hour week in my main job, but up to an additional 35 working freelance in my 'spare time'. It's high pressure and I feel like I get very little time to myself, but I'm working towards my dream and that gets me through. It won't always been like this.

The company I work for have been hinting at me for some time to take on extra unpaid hours, but I won't be doing it. I want to see the company succeed, but (despite what my hours suggest) I don't live to work. To me, happiness and time to do what I love doing are worth more than anyone could ever pay me.

Edit: I should add that most people who work for the company are doing this unpaid overtime, my fiancé goes early and stays late once a week whilst I work from home, and there's another woman on my team who works all weekend unpaid and stays late every evening. If it became compulsory, I'd be out of the door.
  • ruggedBear
    ruggedBear Posts: 295
    Options
    50-60 hours every week. Flex time makes it easier, but I start early (5am) and end late (10pm) with a few 1-2 hour breaks during the day for kid stuff, going to the gym, dinner, etc.

Normal expectations for a salaried employee in high-tech. :ohwell:
  • leighish
    leighish Posts: 15
    Options
    I work 40 hours per week. I can't imagine working 50 or 60 and then coming home to my two youngins. But I work almost every weekend :( I get maybe 4 or 5 saturdays off per year.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    35 hours here, but I don't work the whole time I'm here, they pay me for 35, but I only do actual work about 25 hours, the other 10 I spend on MFP.
  • lhughes404
    lhughes404 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm a teacher and I work 51 hours a week but its in 7 days.
  • LoisSmith
    LoisSmith Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Well I wondered about the "corporate". So I asked the head cashier here at my job. She says she works 10 hrs a day 5 days a week and takes work home with her. We tellers are scheduled 35-37 hrs a week, 8-4pm with 1 hr lunch. But we have every other week day off but then work that Saturday 8-1pm. Or work all week and have Saturday off. I have work 40 hrs in the past but never more.
  • ActiveGuy81
    ActiveGuy81 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I am salary, and usually work 40 hrs/week during some parts of the year. But when work is really busy, I work 45-55 hrs per week.
  • GlitterGoldJem
    GlitterGoldJem Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    40 hours a week for me ... occassionally overtime but never more than an hour or two.

To be honest it sounds like you'll have to work 50-60 hours and end up cutting time or something and only getting paid for 40 hours. About two years ago before I landed my job I have now I interviewed at a college tutoring center and they wanted me to work 60-70 per week but only get paid for 40 of them with no overtime ... obviously I thanked them for wasting my time and walked out of the interview. lol