Easy Quinoa Recipes?

Options
katielauren2001
katielauren2001 Posts: 171 Member
Quinoa is really expensive here :( so I want to know do the grains expand alot? Some easy recipes or serving suggestions would be appreciated.Would you eat Quinoa on own without seasoning? Just like rice or couscous? Thankyou.

Replies

• jsib714
    jsib714 Posts: 1
    Options
    I actually ate it for the first time last nite with dinner. Ate it plain with no seasoning wasnt too bad.
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    The grain doesn't expand too much, but it is filling. I eat it as a side like I would rice or couscous, with a little butter and seasoning.
  • iHEARTcardiacnurses
    iHEARTcardiacnurses Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    If I have 1/4c. quinoa and 1 c. water, it comes to a smidge over 3/4c after its cooked. I just throw the stuff in the crockpot with chicken, peppers, tomatoes and salsa and cook until the chicken is done. VOILA!
  • iHEARTcardiacnurses
    iHEARTcardiacnurses Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Also, buy it on amazon! Way cheaper!
  • dianediaz
    dianediaz Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I love quinoa. But I never eat it just plain. I chop up all sorts of veggies - cucumbers, yellow squash, mushrooms, red onions, cilantro, tomatoes, etc. - add them (no need to cook the veggies) then put olive oil, red wine vinegar, salt and pepper and chill. Delicious as a cold salad. Try it, you'll love it!
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I use it as a replacement for rice in asian dishes, etc... It's also tasty for breakfast instead of oatmeal.
  • GeneveSparkles
    GeneveSparkles Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    There is so much you can do with quinoa. I've used it as a substitute for rice, mix a little into salads, add sauteed veggies to it, eat it cold with greek salad type ingredients, make Mexican "rice" with it, make quinoa patties, possibilites are endless. If you have a Pinterest account do a search for quinoa and soooooo many recipes come up!! Happy eating :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    We buy ours at Costco in bulk. Thank goodness.

I like: quinoa, black beans, scallions and spices. I cook the quinoa in broth rather than water. Gives it more flavor.

I also like mixing it with black soy beans which are a fabulously underrated legume.
  • Vurbach
    Vurbach Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Mmmm! Everyone's suggestions look great! Thanks for this post OP! I love Quinoa too and never know what to put with it!
    Can't wait to try some of these recipes/suggestions!
    Thanks everyone! :-)
  • mandy_lynn
    mandy_lynn Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    My favorite way to eat it is to cook it in chicken broth, right before it's finished I'll add a can of Rotel tomatoes with chilies and a sprinkle of parmesan cheese.

It's also good to use as a base for stuffed peppers!
  • ❤lindsay❤dawn❤
    Options
    *bumping for ideas*
  • caramkoala
    caramkoala Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    so filling! search 'quinoa fritters' or 'quinoa recipes' or just 'quinoa' up there^ in "search" Enjoy!:flowerforyou:
  • jlsokh
    jlsokh Posts: 3
    Options
    I made black bean burritos for dinner the other night and added the quinoa instead of the brown rice that I would usually Add. Didn't taste it at all, but it added a lot of additional nutrition to the dish! It's a great product, and you can basically use it as you would use rice or as a filler.
  • acook104
    acook104 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Try using it to replace rice and cous cous. I like putting it in soup, salad, and egg dishes. It adds a nice sort of crunchy texture (even when it's cooked) and nutty flavor.
  • aggiesrar05
    aggiesrar05 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    This site has a bunch of good recipes for quinoa. http://www.cookingquinoa.net/

I introduced my boyfriend to quinoa and he started eating in the same volume that he was eating rice (A LOT) which ended up being a lot more calorie content because quinoa is fairly dense. As a compromise he ended up half rice and half quinoa to get more of the protein the quinoa has.

CostCo has big bags of it for relatively cheap, at least that is the cheapest I've found it.
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    I love quinoa. Here is an easy recipe for quinoa salad

1Cup uncooked quinoa
    1 cup of Frozen corn thawed out
    1 14 oz can of Black Beans
    1/2 Red onion chopped
    1/2 Red Pepper chopped
    1 small or medium tomato chopped
    1.5 Tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
    1 Tablespoon Red Wine Vinegar
    2 teaspoon Red Hot sauce
    1 teaspoon of Cumin
    Juice of 1/2 lime
    Cilantro
    Salt and Pepper to taste

Cook quinoa in 1.5 cups of water and let it cool down when finished (I just use my rice cooker for this and use the Steam option)

Once quinoa is at room temperature mix all ingredients and put it in the fridge. Serve cold.

You can adjust the recipe to include vegetables you like (more of one thing, less of others, etc)
  • venus_blue
    venus_blue Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    We eat quinoa at least once a week or so. I love the stuff plain, or as a simple pilaf. I use it to stuff peppers and mushrooms, just cook it up and mix in veggies and spices and use as you would any other filling. I use it in rice and beans instead of rice, or instead of bulgur in tabbouleh. I make a quinoa "quiche" by mixing cooked quinoa with veggies like chopped broccoli, mushroom and spinach with low fat cheese and egg substitute and bake til it's set and a knife come out clean. It's great in veggie/bean burgers too.

I also make an easy chowder with it: One cup each sweet potatoes, carrots, and corn (I use frozen, the canned stuff always tastes funky to me), half a cup onion, celery and sweet pepper all sauteed til softened . Stir in about six cups of low sodium stock, bring to a boil, lower heat and stir in one half cup quinoa and one cup diced zucchini and simmer til the veggies are nice and tender and quinoa is cooked. If you like you can puree a little of the chowder to thicken it. It keeps well, and the best part is you can use any veggies/spices you like.
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    We buy ours at Costco in bulk. Thank goodness.

I like: quinoa, black beans, scallions and spices. I cook the quinoa in broth rather than water. Gives it more flavor.

I also like mixing it with black soy beans which are a fabulously underrated legume.

I do this too, cook in broth. The mixture with black beans and scallions sounds awesome, I'm doing that next time.
  • CarrieAnne22
    CarrieAnne22 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    bump
  • hawkeygal
    hawkeygal Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Also, buy it on amazon! Way cheaper!

THANK YOU for that tip! It's SO expensive in the stores!