Easy Quinoa Recipes?

Options

Replies

• katielauren2001
    katielauren2001 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Yum. I still haven't tried it yet but I will next week when not so busy. Hopefully.
  • 1979rrh
    1979rrh Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I love quinoa, I mix a little chicken stock with the water and add some chives, chili peppers and cook it with that... its very good, and good for you.
  • SlimmingSammie
    Options
    Bump
  • Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I include cooked quinoa in my chicken salad recipe (serves 2-3, depending on how fat you want to pack your tortilla):

4 oz boneless and skinless chicken breast -- boiled (in water only) and shredded
    ¼ cup walnuts
    ¼ cup cooked quinoa
    1 tsp paprika
    1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
    ¼ tsp coarse kosher salt
    1/3 cup dried cranberries (I use Eden Organic)
    10 pieces dried apricots (I use Sunridge Farms)
    4 oz plain and non-fat Greek yogurt (I use Chobani)
    3 whole wheat tortillas (I use Latortilla Factory)

Nutrition info per serving (if you make this recipe for 3 servings):
    334 calories
    50g carbs
    16g fiber
    11g fat
    22g protein
    562mg sodium
  • _trickpie
    _trickpie Posts: 87
    Options
    Currently eating a super easy mix of quinoa cooked in chicken stock with green beans, zucchini and broccoli, paired with a salmon steak. Yum hot or cold.
  • Nutrition1975
    Options
    When I made quinoa I boil it in low sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth is good too - gives it a nice flavor

Here is a yummy recipe too!!
    http://keepyourdietreal.com/food/appetizerssnacks/quinoa-and-black-bean-lettuce-wraps/
  • rachewa
    rachewa Posts: 4
    Options
    Warm roasted vegetable, roasted garlic & feta salad

Serves 2 - 344 calories each

200g sweet potato, chopped to bite size pieces
    100g red capsicum, chopped
    1/2 medium (approx 70g) red onion, cut chunky
    5-6 cloves garlic (leave in cover)
    8 cherry tomatoes
    40g crumbled feta
    1/2 tb olive oil
    1 cup cooked quinoa
    tuscan seasoning

Put the quinoa in a rice cooker, it is 1:2 ratio for quinoa to water. (so try 1/2 cup rinsed raw quinoa and 1 cup water - I made extra and going to freeze in portions and see how it goes)

While quinoa is cooking, put the sweet potato, capsicum, onion & garlic in a baking dish and mix with the olive oil. Sprinkle with some tuscan seasoning.

Bake till soft and nice colour on them, and garlic is soft.

Take out of oven and put in a mixing bowl.

Put cherry tomatoes in the baking dish and back into the oven - they don't take long, so I do them separate till just nice and soft and warm.

With the garlic, squeeze out the soft roasted garlic flesh and mix through cooked veges.

Once all done, mix together 1 cup cooked quinoa with the veges and 40g feta. Divide into two serves and top each one with 4 cherry toms and sprinkle of either fresh or dried parsley and cracked pepper. Could use basil or coriander also if you prefer.

yum!
  • Healthy_4_Life2
    Healthy_4_Life2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MissNations
    MissNations Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    bump
  • venus_blue
    venus_blue Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Warm roasted vegetable, roasted garlic & feta salad

Serves 2 - 344 calories each

200g sweet potato, chopped to bite size pieces
    100g red capsicum, chopped
    1/2 medium (approx 70g) red onion, cut chunky
    5-6 cloves garlic (leave in cover)
    8 cherry tomatoes
    40g crumbled feta
    1/2 tb olive oil
    1 cup cooked quinoa
    tuscan seasoning

Put the quinoa in a rice cooker, it is 1:2 ratio for quinoa to water. (so try 1/2 cup rinsed raw quinoa and 1 cup water - I made extra and going to freeze in portions and see how it goes)

While quinoa is cooking, put the sweet potato, capsicum, onion & garlic in a baking dish and mix with the olive oil. Sprinkle with some tuscan seasoning.

Bake till soft and nice colour on them, and garlic is soft.

Take out of oven and put in a mixing bowl.

Put cherry tomatoes in the baking dish and back into the oven - they don't take long, so I do them separate till just nice and soft and warm.

With the garlic, squeeze out the soft roasted garlic flesh and mix through cooked veges.

Once all done, mix together 1 cup cooked quinoa with the veges and 40g feta. Divide into two serves and top each one with 4 cherry toms and sprinkle of either fresh or dried parsley and cracked pepper. Could use basil or coriander also if you prefer.

yum!

That sounds amazing! I just found my quinoa recipe for this week!
  • Chrissy979
    Chrissy979 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    bump - need to try some of these out!
  • dwiebe85
    dwiebe85 Posts: 123
    Options
    bump and does Sam's Club carry it? We don't have Costco nearby.
  • missjewl
    missjewl Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I include cooked quinoa in my chicken salad recipe (serves 2-3, depending on how fat you want to pack your tortilla):

4 oz boneless and skinless chicken breast -- boiled (in water only) and shredded
    ¼ cup walnuts
    ¼ cup cooked quinoa
    1 tsp paprika
    1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
    ¼ tsp coarse kosher salt
    1/3 cup dried cranberries (I use Eden Organic)
    10 pieces dried apricots (I use Sunridge Farms)
    4 oz plain and non-fat Greek yogurt (I use Chobani)
    3 whole wheat tortillas (I use Latortilla Factory)

Nutrition info per serving (if you make this recipe for 3 servings):
    334 calories
    50g carbs
    16g fiber
    11g fat
    22g protein
    562mg sodium

Sorry could you clarify... are all three tortillas the serving or is one tortilla a serving? Thanks
  • Jupitermermaid
    Jupitermermaid Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Yummy recipes! Thanks for sharing! Gonna try it for breakfast in the am, and keeping the other recipes for later on!
  • Monkeymomma05
    Options
    This is something that I have been meaning to try so all this is really good ideas. So BUMPY.
  • espyrale
    espyrale Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    A great healthy Quinoa salad recipe i just recently had for the first time and thought was absolutely delicious had:

1 cup quinoa

1 cup dried cranberries

1 cup persian cucumbers

1/4 cup walnuts, chopped

1/4 cup green onions, sliced

1/4 cup balsamic vinegar

1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil

4 cloves garlic, minced

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

You can substitute green beans, broccoli, peas or any green vegetable for the cucumbers.

Combine quinoa with 2 cups water in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and continue cooking until all water is absorbed.

In a medium bowl, combine cooked quinoa, dried cranberries, green beans, walnuts, and green onions until well mixed. In a small bowl, whisk the balsamic vinegar, olive oil, and garlic until well blended. Pour over the quinoa mixture. Toss until well blended. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before serving

Calories 158
    Fat 5 g
    Saturated Fat 0
    Carbohydrates 24 g
    Fiber 6 g
  • br2012
    br2012 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I've been using it in place of bread crumbs for Turkey Meatballs and Turkey Meatloaf. Also, in place of rice in stuffed peppers. Really gets your protein up for the day! -I think my hubby getting sick of it ;)
  • ChasingSweatandTears
    ChasingSweatandTears Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I've made Quinoa 2 different ways:

Mexican cold salad: quinoa, red bell peppers, green bell peppers, avocado, cilantro, freshly chopped jalapeno, and lime juice
    Mexican "rice": quinoa, tomato sauce, onion, some water, chicken stock, and boil like it arroz

The first one is similar to the recipe I posted earlier in the thread!

Love you both because I have to try that one! :)
  • ChasingSweatandTears
    ChasingSweatandTears Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Okay, that's it making quinoa today! Haven't had it in quite some time!
  • kace406
    kace406 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I've only ever had it as a side...made plain with a little butter and salt.

I love all these ideas. Thank you!