Easy Quinoa Recipes?

Options

Replies

• PeaceCorpsKat
    PeaceCorpsKat Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    You can use it like rice or couscous

I love to make Veggi Quinoa cheese bake.

I cook the quinoa - around 3/4 cup dry in it's own pot
    I take a low fat cheese (i totally grate Trader Joes low fat cheese sticks - Don'T Judge!) and a cup of milk and melt it all togehter, I throw in around 3 cups of frozen spinach and some frozen peas, a bit of Trader Joes South African Smoke spice and let that simmer.

Then I mix in the cooked quinoa, put in a baking dish and top with some grated cheese - bake for 30 minutes and it's awesome golden brown veggie quinoa bake - and surprising low calorie.
  • time2bhealthy
    time2bhealthy Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    bump
  • hackettshirley
    Options
    Great as a salad...I put feta cheese, dried cranberries, and garbanzo beans. (pinenuts are good to add too)
  • SuzieZimm
    SuzieZimm Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Just stumbled upon this great Quinoa recipe..can't wait to make it!
    http://www.foodbuzz.com/blogs/5392483-vegetable-quinoa-pilaf
  • DaBossLady24
    DaBossLady24 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    bump for when I finally eat some quinoa!
  • shani251
    shani251 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    my favorite way to make it - and the whole family loves it - is to cook up a batch, then mix it with fat free italian dressing, chopped tomatoes, olives, onions, and imitation crab chunks. mix it all together and let it sit overnight.
    Gosh the family practically lives off of that in the summertime. Enjoy!
  • ironmanwannabe
    ironmanwannabe Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    what can I expect to pay on Amazon or Costco? I have never heard of this stuff until recently. Excited to give it a try!
  • damnedlady
    damnedlady Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I've just started to use quinoa myself. But it works both for dinner and breakfast, as mentioned already. I love variations of this recipe: http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/warm-and-nutty-cinnamon-quinoa-recipe.html
  • londongirl2012
    londongirl2012 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    i had it with a chilli the other day was nice and filling, also have made this with it before, its quite bland but very filling, remember to rinse thoroughly or can be bitter.

http://www.freshjuice.ca/eat-well/fragrant-quinoa-pilaf-with-mushrooms-and-almonds/r/11712?type=r&id=7588&page=
  • StartingAnewDay
    StartingAnewDay Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    If I have 1/4c. quinoa and 1 c. water, it comes to a smidge over 3/4c after its cooked. I just throw the stuff in the crockpot with chicken, peppers, tomatoes and salsa and cook until the chicken is done. VOILA!

SO going to try this!! It sounds awesome! I've never made it before. No water added when you do crock pot right?
  • ebonyroche
    ebonyroche Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I put a banana, walnuts and a touch of brown sugar in mine and have it for breakfast or for dinner I put a can of black beans, salsa Verde and some light sour cream.
  • hollyknouse
    hollyknouse Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I have some at home and have made it and ate it with pure maple syrup and it was really good but I am really digging all of the ideas on here! Thanks!
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I throw salsa in it.

I throw salsa in everything.

I even drink it outta the jar.
  • Tashry
    Tashry Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is one of my favorite foods!! Yumm!!

I use it in place of potatoes, rice and pasta, but my favorite way to eat it is as a breakfast dish. While the quinoa is cooking throw in some chopped up apple, raisins, cinamon and a brown sugar replacement (such as Sugar Twin). I make a big batch of it and reheat it with a splash of almond milk in the mornings. SO GOOD.
  • eatherhey
    eatherhey Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I actually ate it for the first time last nite with dinner. Ate it plain with no seasoning wasnt too bad.
    Me too! The texture was really cool.

*bump*
  • chicky89
    chicky89 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    bump for later!
  • osc79
    osc79 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I've made Quinoa 2 different ways:

Mexican cold salad: quinoa, red bell peppers, green bell peppers, avocado, cilantro, freshly chopped jalapeno, and lime juice
    Mexican "rice": quinoa, tomato sauce, onion, some water, chicken stock, and boil like it arroz
  • MelHoneyRocks
    Options
    I prefer it cold. and you can make a batch and store it in the fridge and use it all week by adding different things to each portion. Here is my favorite recipe. Quinoa with Dried Cherries and Pistacios. ( you can sub any dried fruit and any nut)

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/quinoa-with-dried-cherries-50400000108366/
  • LoserCruiser
    Options
    I agree, I use it in place of rice! Make a chicken or veggie stir fry to put on it! Just remember if you use salsa, chicken stock or soy sauce to watch your sodium intake as all three of those can be high in sodium!